Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar

Rock, Paper, Sonic

Welcome to the official Sonic RPS thread! Here we discuss all things Sonic the Hedgehog instead of cluttering up the forum with other threads of the blue blur. This thread comes out on the precipice of the Steam release of Sonic CD (yay!) and Sonic 4 Episode 1 (yay?) and some time after Sonic Generations (hurray!). We might also discuss console toy Sonics.

If you don't know what Sonic the Hedgehog is, you may want to watch this:

For your enjoyment, here's some music to listen to while browsing the thread:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The JG Man; 18-01-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Hoorah!

Now, to kickstart this off somehow, any thoughts on Sonic Riders - the PC port or in general? As I said in the previous topic, I might be able to get it for the One True Format for fairly cheap if it's still in the store, but from what little I've read about it on the net it'd seem that the PC port is... less than stellar, to put it kindly.

Also, in more general Sonic things, today's giggles are provided by A Moment of Archie Sonic.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

I need to get back to Sonic 4. Can't remember what distracted me from it to be honest because I seem to remember I was liking it.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Frame of reference: Grew up playing PC only, so never had a single second of a sonic game.

My question is this, how come the last Sonic game that was released on PC (Generations I think?) was lauded as amazing and a return to all that is fun and awesome about sonic (tempting me to try it once it gets cheap) but this new one coming out (sonic 4) is already being heralded as the "next really bad thing" ?

What's the difference?
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Mainly because the controlling in Sonic 4 is dreadful, making it really awkward to play (and its direct referencing of the old 2D games doesn't make for the best comparison for many considering its wonkiness). Generations on the other hand is pretty much excellently done all-around (including fixing what Sonic 4 went wrong with in the 2D stages), caters to pretty much every Sonic fan in some degree so no one is left unhappy and is served with a massive platter of feel-good nostalgia and celebration on top of it.

Basically, Sonic 4 took a really big wrong step. Sonic Generations took all the right steps from the entire history of the series (except when it comes to the final boss).
    Last edited by Flint; 18-01-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    My question is this, how come the last Sonic game that was released on PC (Generations I think?) was lauded as amazing and a return to all that is fun and awesome about sonic (tempting me to try it once it gets cheap) but this new one coming out (sonic 4) is already being heralded as the "next really bad thing" ?

What's the difference?
    The detailed answer is what Flint said. The short answer is that Sonic 4 (Episode 1) came out before Generations on the consoles, which is part of what made Generations such a relief.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Ok, sorry for the confusion. Sonic 4 on PC is just a port then of a older (flawed) game, gotchya.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

However it has been updated, so there's no real telling if, at all, the PC version will be different to the console version in any meaningful way.

Also, you can now try the demo for Sonic Generations. It was added to Steam some time last night and, from what I've heard, includes both acts of Green Hill Zone. Bare in mind that it is GHZ, so it's not too difficult. Modern certainly gets more complex, it is very much a tutorial level until you get to grips with both Sonics and can start finding the speedy/difficult routes. If you're able to in the demo, turn off Omachao in the options. Also, if you have a controller, use it.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Activated Node
    /shamless plug start As I said in the previous thread, Generations being a great game is also a PC game of their great Hedgehog engine. While it's not really a great modding platform, the files are easily edittable, and even human readable! The modding tools so far aren't much around given that we're barely on the 3rd month since the release of the game, but most files can be unpacked/repacked already.

Also, as interesting projects, I'm developing http://code.google.com/p/sonic-glvl/ SonicGLvl for editting object layouts. My other side project is porting the Sonic Unleashed(XBox 360, PS3) daytime levels(which were the "good half" of the game), to the PC version of Sonic Generations. This should allow a proper port of the game using 60 FPS and 1080p.

Here's some videos of my early progress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZXPERdZEPg

I think it's worth noting that the sales of Generations on Steam must've been a considerable chunk for Sega to consider the PC as an important platform in the future. Being $30 at launch, and it was a top seller during the $10 sale.
    Last edited by DarioSamo; 18-01-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Right, they've clearly adopted that philosophy for Sonic 4, given that it was a safe bet CD would eventually end up on the PC as it's on pretty much everything else too (apart from Ninty products, strangely). Here's hoping that whatever else they come out with from here on out both maintains quality and is available on multiple systems, something the rumoured 'Sonic Dimensions' is likely to be for at least the WiiU and the PC, if the WiiU is demonstrably more powerful than the PS360 with only the PC able to also run it. (Although, I'd say it was a good bet that they'd use the Hedgehog engine rather than the proprietary one they used for Colours, so that's probably as good a bet as any it'd be multi-platform.)