Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Btw, does anyone know if they ever fixed... well, anything, in S&S All Stars Racing? Even as single player, it's very tempting at 5€, but the controller issues and stuttering are things I'd rather avoid.
    You know I never ran into any issues with All Stars Racing. What controller issues are you talking about? Works fine here with a 360 controller and only stuttering I get is a poor framerate on one of the tracks which is more than likely my machine's fault.

Sorta tempted by the classic Sonic games... but Ł1.99 each is still too much for me considering I could just dig out my Mega Drive if I really want to replay them.

Activated Node
    That Sonic 4 port is actually kind of horrible, don't buy it.

Buy Sonic CD and let Sega know what you really want. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I was gonna say, I saw the post on Sonic Retro. Here's one of the reasons you probably shouldn't get Sonic 4. Yeeeeow.

I partially wish I wasn't going out so I could sit back with CD, but nevermind. I have tomorrow off.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Well, Sonic CD is swell enough. Don't really feel really enamoured by it but I never expected to either - the 2D stuff just doesn't have the same impact for me anymore, especially without the nostalgia bonus as this is the first time I've actually properly played SCD. Level design's quite confusing, especially Metallic Madness act II, bloody hell. Still, I can now say I've finally played this part of Sonic history, and I'll probably continue playing it every now and then when I feel like a quick platformer fix.

Playable Tails is fantastic. Always is. Plus I have to give major credit to them for including both soundtracks (as I far prefer the US one).

And regardless, no matter what - that intro cinematic with Sonic Boom is always really, really awesome and one of my favourite Sonical things.
    Last edited by Flint; 19-01-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

So for the last few days I've been playing Sonic Adventure (which I bought before it went on sale, of course), and have gotten to the Big the Cat section. I hate Big the Cat. I almost wanted to mark the game completed, but I have to beat Chaos 7. The fishing mechanic is awful, and for some reason SEGA thought it was appropriate to openly mock Down's Syndrome.

Not in good taste, SEGA. Not in good taste at all.

The fishing's rather out of place, but I always found it too easy to actually become a burden (plot-wise anyway, the big fish you need for emblems can be rather tedious).

I mean it takes me a few minutes just to hook the damned frog. I must be doing it wrong. Trying both the action and jump buttons when he bites, or either one by themselves. Most of the time it doesn't register as an actual byte, that might be where I'm messing up, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Yes, Big the Cat is an abomination that never should've existed. But other than that, SA1 is a pretty nice game. And hey, it has Gamma!

Edit: Sorry, hadn't seen this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    You know I never ran into any issues with All Stars Racing. What controller issues are you talking about? Works fine here with a 360 controller and only stuttering I get is a poor framerate on one of the tracks which is more than likely my machine's fault.
    Well, back when I, uhm, "tested" it, yes, tested will do... so anyway, when I "tested" it, I didn't have a 360 controller, and it just refuses to support any other controller.
    And the stuttering isn't a problem of your PC, it's just badly ported. Of course, if you're packing a powerhouse you won't notice, but still, that's a stutter that shouldn't be there.

For 5€ I might buy it anyway, though; it's a bad port, but the game itself is damn nice. Pity of a lack of online.
    Last edited by Rauten; 19-01-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Supposedly it has split-screen, so that may interest you.

Looking at Steam's Top Sellers, Sonic Generations is 2nd only behind Skyrim, although I imagine that'll change over the weekend, whilst 4 is 9th and CD is 12th. All I'll say is, all those people buying 4, and there are clearly many, are going to be bitterly disappointed. At least we've already got a basic texture mod out for it. Can't be too long till Episode 1 - Fixed Edition, is available, at this rate.

As for CD itself, I don't think it's as good as 2 or 3&K, but it is still a good game and I really feel the exploration element of it. I was playing the last few levels of Sonic 1 last night (I'm glad the emulation of it on Steam still allows for Up, Down, Left, Right, A+Start) and forgotten how bloody hard it gets and then thinking how it too is maybe a little worse than CD. Regardless, it is a helluva lot better than playing it on my iPod Touch. The special stages are actually doable for starters.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Sonic Generations is the first Sonic game I've played "for real" (I've messed around with the first Sonic game a few times, but never doing more than the first couple levels). And I love it.

I'm looking at Sonic Adventure DX in the Steam sale. Would you recommend it? Is it a good port? Is it a good game?

I don't know about the port but it's certainly a very good game. It's aged and due to being an early 3D platformer it's somewhat mechanically wonky here and there + the Big the Cat sections are always going to be something that's going to cause ire for the vast majority of people, but beyond those it's still a solid, fun platforming experience. Mind you, it doesn't really play like Modern Sonic in Generations - that style was introduced by Unleashed, and SA is very much a platformer in the traditional sense. Sonic's equivalent of Mario 64.

Plus it's cheap as hell atm so might as well go for it. IMO it should be a part of every Sonic fan's general knowledge.

---

In Sonic CD related things, I've been playing it as Tails today and it somehow makes the game much more fun. The flying skill, while a bit gamebreaking, is definitely better than Sonic's pointless second boost. Just a shame that the achievements won't unlock if you play as him.
    Last edited by Flint; 20-01-2012 at 06:31 PM.

I'm under the impression it is not a good port. I think it's mentioned elsewhere in this thread too, can't remember though (shouldn't take too long to look through though). As for the rest, I think it's alright, but not quite enough. Personally, I'd stick to the 2D games (excluding 4, for the love of god) until Unleashed or Colours come to the PC. That'll never happen (outside of mods and Dolphin emulation, but still). Glad you enjoy Generations though!

Sega are starting to tease out a little more for Sonic 4. If you have Facebook, you can look at a 'new' enemy that seems to look a touch like one in CD...while also sporting a Pokéball.

Talking about Sonic 4, this video has been doing the rounds. It's entertaining, at any rate.