Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    If they stripped Classic Sonic from Generations, made new levels in the same engine and tidied up the physics, I'd have what I'd be happy with in Sonic 5.
    This ^
    Dear god this. I don't even think they'd need to tweak the physics, as whilst being undoubtedly different to real classic, they still worked.
    I honestly don't know what they're playing at with this episodic stuff. I snagged 1 for a couple quid and by act 3 I still felt robbed. The graphics were abysmal (i checked settings but couldn't seem to fix the horrible jagged shimmer on Sonic) and the complete lack of inertia/momentum and cheap falling out of the sky deaths were just painful. The music was also rather a letdown for a Sonic game.

Ep 2 looks no different tbh. At least not different enough. I can't really justify 10 squid on a platform game when I have a million and one other options from 20 years ago that do the job better.
    Last edited by Memph; 17-05-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Right. The point of sequels is to improve on the predecessor, but all they've done is given the game a lick of paint which in 20 years won't look as good as the original trilogy and CD still hold up to be. Generations wasn't perfect, but it was good enough that most people were happy to waive the complaints at the fact that it was simply fun.

Anyhow, two videos that you may be interested in watching regarding Episode 2. The first is a Quick Look, whilst TotalBiscuit also did a WTF Is...?. Do take a look at the link that TB lists in the description to Errant Signal. It's a good watch, summarises most people's feelings on the series in an eloquent and accurate manner.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

File this under massive rumour, but we may be getting some Generations DLC, which would be in order, I'd say.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    File this under massive rumour, but we may be getting some Generations DLC, which would be in order, I'd say.
    Not just Generations DLC, but a load of other stuff. Most sites are disregarding it as nothing more than a massive troll, though. There are apparently, from what I've read, certain inconsistencies in what he says.

Looks interesting. I'm currently taking a break from Generations just because the last couple of levels were just frustrating, but I'm sure I'll get back in at some point to collect some shinies. Hopefully the new levels don't want to crush my soul immediately.

Some Sonic news that are slightly more confirmed - HD'd-up Sonic Adventure 2 is heading towards PSN/XBLA. Looks like it's the SA2: Battle re-release version as well, and will most likely contain achievements etc like the recent SA:DX HD re-release did. Nothing about a PC version yet but considering SEGA have been pretty happy to release Sonic stuff on PC for a while now, I'd guess it's likely.

According to the article comments the PSN/XBLA listings seem to have now vanished so looks like we're dealing with an accidental info leak.

Arguably one of the series' most divisive entries thanks to its wild gameplay-flipping and introduction of Shadow (although we should remember that in this game he wasn't yet the emo git he later became), but for me it's not only one of my very favourite Sonic games but generally one of the most important games released for me on a personal level. Would be very excited to get this running nicely on my computer.
    Last edited by Flint; 20-06-2012 at 09:07 AM.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Intrigued because I never played it, but put-off, because I'm fairly certain I didn't play it because of its apparent quality. Release date is some point in October, which means we can expect it on PC maybe January?

Looking forward to getting S4: E2 now. I think it'll be worth it on sale. For what it's worth, and to fill up my post with a bit more content:

It's amazing what actually doing what you say you're going to do helps with musical quality. Even though the original track is actually one of the best in-game anyhow, I can't see how this isn't better in every way. It even fits with the game better. Dammit, music guys.

I played S4:E2 at a friends' place and it has to have one of the most abysmal soundtracks in Sonic history, particularly that winter zone that sounds like a 10-second loop. Turning the songs into 16-bit seem to make them a little better, at least.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    SA2 on PC, be it the DC or the GC version, would be a Dream Cast true (har har har).

It seems that SEGA is intent on reselling me all my classic DreamCast games for the PC; And I'll happily oblige and buy them all, even if I still keep all the GDs as if they were the key to the holy grail.

@JG: SA2 is one of the finest games for the DreamCast, and as far as I'm concerned, one of the very best 3D Sonics. While it does have camera issues up the proverbial backside every now and then, the gameplay is solid, the different playstyles all feel good and well fleshed out, and it has one of the very goddamned freaking best, if not THE BEST OST of any Sonic game ever. God damned Jun Senoue at his best, I tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    and it has one of the very goddamned freaking best, if not THE BEST OST of any Sonic game ever.
    Hell yes. The only other Sonic OST that could challenge it is the Generations one and, well, that's a best of compilation in the first place.

Activated Node
    PC Master Race reporting in. Please enjoy your additional content. You're welcome.

If you do not own Sonic Generations for PC, it's at 40% off right now on Steam til the summer sale ends. It might be lower later on, since it's not a daily deal, but consider it if it doesn't happen to pop up later on.
    Last edited by DarioSamo; 13-07-2012 at 04:07 AM.

I imagine it will go on sale because there are enough Sonic games to justify a Sonic franchise sale; the rest of the Sonic games are on individual sales too, but low down, as well as the fact that when the Generations DLC and CD came out, they did a cheap Sonic weekend. It's certainly not unprecedented.

Anyhow, the more important part: damn. It's amazing to think what has been achieved without mod tools on Generations in such a short amount of time. I've been keeping up with the hacking/modding thread on Retro and there's a buzzing excitement whenever I see a YouTube video linked, regardless of whether or not it's a test or a level demo. Still, good luck with the hacking contest!