Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Activated Node

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo is coming out today

First time posting, so firstly hi everyone!

I came to understand that the Kingdoms of Amalur demo comes out today on multiple platforms, including PC. Their site seems to be down and I'm curious: Does anyone know whether or not it requires Origin (aka potential dealbreaker), and when it will actually be available?

Cheers! :)

Network Hub
    Greenmangaming claims it ties to Origin :/ I hadn't thought about it before and now it's kinda killed my enthusiasm for the game

Network Hub
    I'll be trying it out as soon as I get a link.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I'd love to hear what you chaps think of it when you're able to play it.

I hope that your morals are at least consistent, and that you boycott steamworks games too. I don't really understand the specific objection to Origin. Why miss out on a potentially good game because of what is basically steam, but reskinned?

Network Hub
    To say Origin is Steam reskinned is an insult to all the updates Steam has received over the years. I've nothing against Origin in the drm department, but the thing uses almost twice the system resources as Steam does on my machine, which really effects performance of games that require Origin to be running in the background. Plus I don't know if it is their end or mine, but when I want to play a game I want to play it now, not in half an hour after several attempts to connect to your service :/

Who knows, maybe Origin will be sleeker than a worn down pebble on a beach in a years time and I'll get to play Origin only games then. But now this is horribly off topic. I will redeem myself by saying that according to Reckonings facebook page, the 360 demo seems to be live, so for those here that have a console you can at least give it a shot and tell us what you think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I can see this conversation getting really out of control, plus it's been had several times already.

Ontopic: Is Amalur a new universe or is this pre-established somehow?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Ontopic: Is Amalur a new universe or is this pre-established somehow?
    New.

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    which really effects performance of games that require Origin to be running in the background.
    Uh... isn't that just Battlefield 3? I wasn't aware any game required Origin to be running, which was meant to be one of its benefits.

Activated Node
    Their site http://reckoning.amalur.com seems to be up now.

Great! I'm looking forward to trying it out when i get back from uni.

Apologies for inadvertently creating yet another origin thread, i think they managed to worm themselves into my good-books when they gave me a free copy of Burnout Paradise. I'm sure the software itself has issues, but i really can't blame them for trying to come up with a competitive service. I certainly find steam/origin preferable to limited-activation or always-online style DRM. You're certainly right insofar as steam is the better service.

Back to Amalur, more than anything i'm expecting this to be solid. The videos haven't exactly been mind-blowing, but if they manage to do everything they say they're doing to a fairly good standard i will be very happy.

Activated Node
    Will this demo be Origin only ?

Jeez, it will be first time that i will look for cracked version of demo :S

Quote Originally Posted by Lobotomist View Post
    Will this demo be Origin only ?

Jeez, it will be first time that i will look for cracked version of demo :S
    Reckoning being an EA game, I had the same question.
    So FAQ tells us:
    The Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo is available on PlayStation Network (PS3 download), PC (Origin download), XBOX Live (360 download).
    and
    You must create and log in to your Origin account in order to receive the Reckoning demo items, but you do not need to have the Origin client/installer. Signing in to your Origin account simply registers that you’ve unlocked the Reckoning demo items, then when you get your full copy of Reckoning, log in again and the items will appear in-game.
    So I'm still confused... I need the client to download the demo but I don't need it to play it? I guess we'll see once the demo is up. I really hope I don't need to install Origin just for the demo.

alright, it's up on origin.

you'll need the client to download it for you, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Since the game is rated 18+ in Germany, I was not allowed to download the demo until 11 PM despite being in Austria.
    And also being an adult.

I tricked Origin by starting the download with Hotspot Shield and then reconnecting without it, in case anyone has the same problem.

About the need of Origin to download the client but not required to play the game:
    This is correct, though we have another PC option coming in a bit today. So, if you want to wait a bit, there will be one other way to play the demo on PC. (We should have more details to share about this in the next hour or two.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks for the warning!

Downloading! :D

Banned
    It's also on Steam?!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Demo up on Steam: steam://install/203970

I hear ATI cards have trouble with it (three months old build though).

Network Hub
    Pre-order up on steam. :3
    Last edited by IDtenT; 17-01-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Network Hub
    Not only does it have a pre-order on Steam, they are also giving away free TF 2 items with a pre-order which means Valve and EA worked out a deal together.