Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar

"The Great Minimum" is a browser game I made

See? http://www.kongregate.com/games/Berz...-great-minimum

Like my last game, it is based on a poem. Unlike my last game, it takes more than 1 click to lose or 5 clicks to win! So it's...better. (Though I say it who shouldn't?).

Discuss.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Well...it is something.

I liked that. Not sure was there something I was supposed to "get"; I took it at face value and it got me vaguely contemplative and glad I gave it my time. So that's a win?

So that's a win?
    Sir, that is all the win I hoped for and more. ^_^
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Um... is the bird supposed to fly straight out of the house and ram itself against the right side of the screen after I pick it up?

Hey, that's good! I'm not on my PC, though. And the one I'm using has a shitty internet speed, so I'll check it out later.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Um... is the bird supposed to fly straight out of the house and ram itself against the right side of the screen after I pick it up?

No =( That's been happening to a few people and I still haven't figured out why =T Sorry! I'll post a note to that effect on that game page.

Does it happen as soon as you let it into the house?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Why i open the door is flies straightup into the sky, played it on an athlon xp, they tend to break some scripting languages.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    The same thing happened to me. I opened the door, it flew into the bathroom, I grabbed it. I then spent five minutes searching for it before noticing where it was again (it wasn't moving so it looked like an ornament), went over to it, it flew through a wall and escaped.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    No =( That's been happening to a few people and I still haven't figured out why =T Sorry! I'll post a note to that effect on that game page.

Does it happen as soon as you let it into the house?
    Nope. After I let it in, I grabbed it from... um... the bathroom? Can't remember where it first turned up. Anyway, I walked around for a bit not really sure what I was supposed to be doing. I walked into the room with the table or something on the left side of the house, and that little white bastard shot off like a bullet, intent on smashing itself into the right side of the screen.

shot off like a bullet, intent on smashing itself into the right side of the screen.
    lol...troublesome, troublesome...has anyone been able to play it? =P

I made a small update so that the bird will slow down sooner when he gets near his destination; maybe it's related to frames-per-second being higher on computers that are not junk like mine. =T

Would any of you for whom it broke like to be post-release beta testers and try it again? =P If it still breaks, try pushing the number "3" key as soon as your guy gets out of bed (and if that fails, 4, and then 5, but if it needs to be THAT much of a margin of error we are officially in the realms of the ridiculous).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    AAAArgh. WHY IS Z JUMPING WHHHYYY. For everyone with a non yxcv keyboard this results in hovering my hand over the keys in an arthritis inducing claw. (I know i could change the layout via Win. But seriously?)

Does your issue with the Z key imply that you did not have any issues with rampant buggy birds? :p

I suppose allowing Space to jump as well wouldn't hurt =P If I get a chance to add it later, I will. Maybe for future games I ought to implement something as revolutionary as *gasp* custom key bindings.
    (What keyboard layout do you use, incidentally?)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    not any apparent issues no. i catched the bird two times then i looked through the telescope and watched the bird crash into the window. then I had to get back to work :P

I liked this, Berzee. Nice animations and graphics and better mechanics and.. umm integration with the poem, than One Traveler had. Although I have to say that I found 1T to be a bit more moody (a crossroads in the forest vs a house). Loved the little touches like the bird slowly showing up from the painting and the way the wind blew the fire out.

Overall (animations, art style, general feel) TGM reminded me of Today I Die, from Daniel Benmergui. Which is a good thing, since I liked all his stuff :)

Thanks for making this, also I'd like to see more characters who's hair bounces around when they walk, that's pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by lhzr View Post
    also I'd like to see more characters who's hair bounces around when they walk
    You always do manage to see to the heart of the matter and appreciate what truly counts in my games, lhzr :D
    Thanks ^_^ Maybe the next game I attempt will be based on something like punching or kicking, but I'm glad some folks enjoy my attempts to add interactivity to amusingly unsuitable poems. ;P

Confirm bugs fixed!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am stuck on the telescope. HALP!!!.

You made a nice-game-thing. Congrats! :D

Thanks, soldant! (I PM'ed you my thanks so that I wouldn't have to bump this again -- but then I realized I couldn't leave Tei lost and all alone with his telescope)

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I am stuck on the telescope. HALP!!!.
    [spoilers]Haha, you are stuck on the one part of the game where there are not many hints to give, just...if you see anything out there that you don't expect, keep an eye on it.
    [/spoilers]

Activated Node
    I don't see the point of this. Generally, I can take a conclusion, or at least something that made me feel that my time was well spent.
    But with this... no. It needs depth. It's too subtle.

Technical comments: I loved the art style and general design, it's almost perfect. I want your skills! =P
    On the other side, I didn't noticed there was a poem first, just played. The text needs better location, or something that draws attention to it (the second being the most likely solution).

Really nice work, not too good design (game design, not art). From my point of view, the game should be enjoyed the way you designed it, especially this kind of games. I say, you have to force and interrupt player interaction, so there's more focus on the poem.