Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Sword of the Stars anyone?

So recently I've been building up something of an urge to give sword of the stars multiplayer a try and having, predictably no one to play with I thought I'd see if there's any interest in getting another game started.

So would any of you be interested in getting another sots game going?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I might seem desperate, but I'd be happy to play in this one too :P

Whats your experience level?

I'd be quite happy to have a 2 vs 2 vs 1 fixed team with me alone. A zuul/hiver menace heh.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I dont want to get in the way of anyone who isnt already involved in a game getting there dose of space opera, but if you need an additional player I would definitely get in on another game :)
    Where you can find some of my mischief: http://karandraz.wordpress.com/

I suspect there'll be plenty of free slots so you are both welcome to join in.

I've been playing singleplayer for about a year and while i don't know how well it'll translate to multiplayer i can beat several normal difficulty ai's without problem.

My initial plan is to play ffa rather than having set teams (and do tell me if this is a horrible idea) and just not worry to much about the relative skill of the players.

Pm'd you, and tried to add you on steam.

Activated Node
    I would be willing to play as well.
    While I am as ignorant and irrational as the next man, I am also arrogant enough to assume I possess these qualities in greater abundance than is strictly normal and foolish enough to think that that's worth bragging about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If time and day works out, might be able to play.

Get in the RPSotS group and try and have steam on.

Http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSotS

Lesser Hivemind Node
    *sticks hand up* I'd be interested too, and I've joined the RPSotS group. I assume/hope having SOTS on Impulse (or GameStop or whatever they call it now) rather than Steam itself won't be too much of an issue?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Anybody mind if I suggest that members of the current game think twice about joining a second one? We have enough trouble coordinating our schedule as it is, and it would be a shame if that game doesn't get completed... especially given the AARs that are getting written up.

So since we seem to have gathered a reasonable amount of players I think it's time we actually tried to get things started. I'm therefore suggesting we meet up Monday at 8pm GMT in the RPSotS group chat and try to get things going. Should this time be inconvenient for any of you do suggest what times would work better and we'll move to one of those.

Also in the interest of keeping things moving I'd like to get at least one 2-3h game session in every week so please consider whatever you actually have the time before joining.

And no you don't need to own SotS on steam to join us (I got mine trough impulse) you can add it to steam using the add non-steam game option to get the overlay/chat in game or just play windowed.

Finally I'm proposing the following game setup for discussion:
    • Free for all
    • No alliances
    • Ring map
    • 20 planets per player
    • 7 min combat turns
    • Everything else on default

Activated Node
    7 minute combat turns will cause the game to bog down considerably. In a larger game there is combat occurring nearly every turn and some folks will have multiple combats to deal with. I'd recommend keeping it at four minutes. If someone is unlucky enough to have three combats, it'll be nearly half an hour before the next turn can begin.
    While I am as ignorant and irrational as the next man, I am also arrogant enough to assume I possess these qualities in greater abundance than is strictly normal and foolish enough to think that that's worth bragging about.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    This Monday might be a bit iffy for me - I'll be round at a friend's house (from Saturday to late Tuesday) and it would be slightly antisocial to be SOTSing. I can do tomorrow night, or from Weds onwards - other than this week Mondays are usually good, though (and the time isn't an issue).

One thing you may want to check graever, as I believe helio had some issues with this when trying to organise a second game before is making sure everyone has the same version of the game.

Demand complete (not ultimate) It's the newest set, the only way to get the latest patches. Etc.

Should have mentioned that earlier yes. You will need either the complete collection or the ultimate collection and argos naval yard to join(just check that you have version 1.8.0 in the main menu). And vecordae raises a good point so we'll go with 4 minute turns.

We could try starting tonight (still at 8pm GMT) provided enough people actually see this in time to show. If not we'll just move to Wednesday unless that's a problem for someone else?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Graever... I've already started trying to organise everybody for the first SotS game. :(

Sadly gents I am at work this evening and tommorrow evening so my availability wont be too great, but like I said before if you aleady got the numbers you can start without me, I am already in a game after all :)

Right the new gathering time will be Wednesday at 8pm GMT. (Note that this no longer applies see post below)
    Last edited by Graever; 29-01-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    <Insert various explitives here>
    Apparently I am a miserable failure when it comes to dates/days, and I meant to say I am available on Thursday (8pm Weds I'll be sat in a comedy club, which would make playing SOTS a bit difficult). Sorry :(

I'll go and hang my head in shame/hit my head against a wall/drive my spaceship into a star now.