Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In RTS games I generally try to be as... efficient with my units as possible, no spam. Except in Star Ruler and Supreme Commander, where spam isn't even a thing. In fact I normally build carrier fleets (with some caps/support as well ofc) in Star Ruler.

In CoH I normally had a city of mortar/artillery bases supporting a handful of infantry/tanks for instance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I won't start a story-based or mechanically similar sequel without playing the original(s) first. So, I have no problem playing Fallout 3, but with something like Hitman I like to see where it's come from. If I were to jump in with Blood Money, I feel like it would permanently ruin the previous games in the series.

Unreal Tournament classic - I must not use the starting pistol. I can only telefrag until I have earned myself a better gun. (In UT multiplayer you would normally start with a pistol, a melee thingy and a gun that lobbed disks that you could teleport to. If you timed it right you could teleport into somebody and gib them.)

Baldur's Gate series - Sleeping after every battle is absurd. I never rest until all of my spells are used or I get to a tavern. In dungeons I only rest if I am absolutely positive that I can't win a fight, despite several reloads.

Any GTA game - I. Must. Drive. Perfectly. while looking good. The missions are only an excuse for me to go from point a to point b, while looking as awesome as possible, usually by dodging between traffic, power-sliding and taking shortcuts. I don't really get what people find so fun about the shoot-outs and cop car chases, but they make for nice breaks in between the driving parts.
    Last edited by Snargelfargen; 23-01-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Snargelfargen View Post
    Any GTA game - I. Must. Drive. Perfectly. while looking good. The missions are only an excuse for me to go from point a to point b, while looking as awesome as possible, usually by dodging between traffic, power-sliding and taking shortcuts. I don't really get what people find so fun about the shoot-outs and cop car chases, but they make for nice breaks in between the driving parts.
    Heck, Saints Row 3 does that to me. I mean, even on GTA's I drive pretty safe, 'cept when three hundreds mobsters decide to shoot me with rocket launchers. I fire up SR3, I turn into a goddamn maniac. I don't think I spent more than half a km NOT on the incoming lane.

Speaking of that, I have another unwritten rule: never take any shit from passers-by.
    You know that crazed dude yelling in front of Niko's house in GTA IV? Every single time I get out, I punch him in the face. That's it, a single punch in the nose to get him running and shutting up.
    SR3, you may have heard that woman yelling you nearly dirtied her shoes while pulling stunts with your car. I usually stop, get out of the car, grab her and throw her in the river.
    Oh, and those people waving signs dissing the Saints? Let's just say they're not covered by my "no harm to civvies" rule. Sometimes I get a group of people waving signs on street corners saying that Shaundi is a whore while I'm driving a battle tank or an attack chopper. Cue the evilest grin ever appearing on my face.
    Assassins Creed 2? Those random dudes complaining about you when you take a walk around town? Punch in the face, again. Oh, and always throw some money when some random dumbass manages to drop his box by walking into you.
    Last edited by Caleb367; 23-01-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb367 View Post
    Oh, and those people waving signs dissing the Saints? Let's just say they're not covered by my "no harm to civvies" rule. Sometimes I get a group of people waving signs on street corners saying that Shaundi is a whore while I'm driving a battle tank or an attack chopper. Cue the evilest grin ever appearing on my face.
    I met this guy for the first time last night.
    2012-01-22_00001.jpg

Needless to say, the second after that screenshot was taken, he took an assault rifle blast to the face. Nobody messes with the Saints! :D

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    I always made a point of shooting their signs. Accomplishes the same thing without the wanted level. Course, sometimes I shoot with a battle tank's main gun and there's some splash damage. Red Splashes.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Banned
    - No save scumming.
    - No abusing the A.I. when they are helplessly stuck in the level's geometry
    - Hoard up stockpiles worth of super powerful ammo for top end gun...but never use it.
    - Load save if detected in Stealth game.
    - Try REALLY REALLY hard not to look up FAQ (for strategy, builds etc. although clarification for mechanics is okay). I usually succeed...
    - KEEP butting skulls against enemy that should whoop yo ass and try out ways to beat 'em while clearly unqualified for the task.
    - Play as xyz class in a RPG BUT do everything i possibly can to steal things that people own and in pursuit of stealing raise stealth/lockpick and related skills. I once spent 15 mins trying to stealth my way at just the right angle to steal one of 'em propylon indices in Morrowind using a combination of chameleon amulet, stealth, + agility potions, levitation, telekinesis...
    - NO GAMING the system in a way that is not internally consistent with the game world! That means no gaming the crime system in Elder Scrolls i.e. stealing and dropping stuff before being confronted by guards so they fail to confiscate the thing you've stolen. This applies to other games as well.

1) Abuse incapable AI so much they could do a Panorama episode about it.
    2) Overreact to even minor threats by using the biggest, most explodiest weapon available. It ain't a kill until they're just a decal.
    3) Assemble mass graves in a public area (centre of town preferably) as a warning to the others. Failing that, desecrate corpses as much as possible, as violently as possible.
    4) Stealth is for individuals of the triplemild weaksauce variety. Real men achieve 'stealth' by removing all observers as quickly and noisily as possible. After all, if they're running toward you, you don't have to hunt them down.
    5) Non-lethal takedowns are only viable if you intend to leave a horde of unconscious (and preferably naked) men trapped together in a ventilation shaft OR the ladies' toilets.

And they say games aren't "art".

Network Hub
    In GTA/SR/etc I always park legally, not obstructing traffic. This can include backing into parking spots.

LA Noire parked for you, maybe that's why I didn't like it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I play every game as a stealth game, if at all possible. It pisses me the hell off that, once alerted, the guards in Metro 2033 always know where you are until you kill them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    - No save scumming.
    - Load save if detected in Stealth game.
    I do not understand.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by FuriKuri! View Post
    Violent acts
    This reminds of my favourite mini-game in the Thief series: Serial killer mode. I have to knock every single human in a level unconscious and then dispose of their bodies in as many different (fatal) ways as possible.

Poor Lord Bafford would wake up to find roasted corpses in diverse fireplaces, 3 guards floating in his pool and all of his servants thrown off the balcony to their deaths. Good times.

This gets more challenging as the missions progress. Sometimes I would arrange macabre corpse piles in a central spot and leave just one fellow alive to tell the tale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Skyrim: Roleplaying a "religious men". As a religious men,..... Everytime I have meet a god (evil or good) I have followed his orders. *SPOOILERS* the worst time for me, was killing the emperor, It made me phisically sick in real life. It totally broken me, and my character for a hour, wandering to the north thinking about what I did. Save Shitis!.

Banned
    I have to BUILD things. It's a compulsion in me. I can't imagine a game being 100% percent complete if I haven't built everything. If there's a good option that makes a building and an evil option that gives the character one hundred billion gold, I will make the worthless building every time.

Activated Node
    A popular self-imposed rule we've seen in Defender's Quest is "hero mode," where players limit themselves to NEVER hiring recruits and trying to beat the game only with the "hero" character of each class you get for free.

kinda the inverse to this but I only recently started allowing myself to steal in games. Skyrim has taught me that I can get pretty much everything I want by just going through everyones shops and pockets

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    I have to BUILD things. It's a compulsion in me. I can't imagine a game being 100% percent complete if I haven't built everything. If there's a good option that makes a building and an evil option that gives the character one hundred billion gold, I will make the worthless building every time.
    What are some examples here? The "evil option" makes me think you're talking about RPGs, but I can't think of any where you actually build something bigger than a sword with pretty rocks in it.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    In Bethesda games I have my character eat three square meals a day and the appropriate amount of fluid to wash it down. Not all together mind you, I actually go to the trouble of keeping an eye on the time, finding a table if possible, and then eating my meal. Then I rest for an hour to simulate the process of eating said meal, and repeat the whole process a few in-game hours later. If I happen to be in town I might even stop by the toilet facilities and rest for another hour. It's a wonder I have any time left to actually play the game.

Also, I am insane. Wibble.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    What are some examples here? The "evil option" makes me think you're talking about RPGs, but I can't think of any where you actually build something bigger than a sword with pretty rocks in it.
    Dragon age: Awakenings
    Baldur's gate 2
    Fable (people do consider it an rpg)
    Space Rangers 2

er?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Bioshock
    Highest difficulty
    No vending machines (except for the crafting one when needed by the plot)
    Only buy out or autohack security machines (no pipe-mania-ing aloud)
    No Active Camo tonic

Doing it by these rules makes it a completely different game. You really have to rely on stealth and you really appreciate how unpredictable the AI can be and how little they cheat. Heartily recommended.