Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Diablo 3's Senior Producer Exits Blizzard

So, yeah, Diablo 3's Senior Producer Steve Parker has announced that he is leaving Blizzard after five years with the company. He sent out this particularly interesting Twitter message:-
    Hey Twitter, I'm no longer working at Blizzard or on D3. I've had a great 5 years there and those guys are going to kill it with Diablo.
    Do you think it might be about the way they've pretty much completely changed the game in the last week, or something even deeper down?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Probably means that the release of Diablo III is going to be better than his 5 years there, hence it's going to "kill it". Nothing to see here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    The use of "kill it" there is pretty ambiguous, could be taken as positive or negative.

Not much context there - it could be read either way.

One thing it does not do is shower glowing praise.

While my gut tells me he thinks this is a bad thing, ultimately we'll have to have more context. He may be under some kind of NDA, which would account for the vague tweet. Probably better if he'd said nothing (if that's the case) but he may have wanted to go on record as safely as possible.

Then again, maybe he's thrilled with the product but found a better job. Time will tell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    You don't say it in a negative way while you still have a pension, nda agreement etc. to keep you quiet.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

It could be read ambiguously. But only by someone with the emotional intellect of a horseshoe crab. He's saying he's had a great 5 years, and he's happy to leave the game with 'those guys' because he has a lot of confidence in them, and thinks they are going to do a really great job. Nothing to see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    I doubt he'd say that they were going to fuck it up after saying he had a great five years there. It would also be deeply stupid to start a job hunt by publicly announcing that the high profile game you were heavily involved with--in a high-ranking position no less--is going to suck.

That's not to say that there isn't something about it that he was unhappy with. If he was truly happy with things he wouldn't have left. It could simply boil down to the fact that Blizzard has become so stream-of-revenue-crazy that he believed that staying on would mean just updating DIII for the rest of his career.

It's obviously a planned terrorist attack. Somebody call the feds already.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    That's not to say that there isn't something about it that he was unhappy with. If he was truly happy with things he wouldn't have left.
    Burn out, better job offer...?

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    It could be read ambiguously. But only by someone with the emotional intellect of a horseshoe crab.
    Horseshoe crabs have survived 250 million years, so I guess I could do worse. And their mating rituals are kinda interesting, so I'm good with that.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Regretfully off the topic of crab sex, I'd have to say it's a positive sign as well. I think he's giving it (Diablo, not crustaceans) a big thumbs up. It's normal for people to leave a firm once a really big project is so near completion it's out of their hands. I think this is likely the case as well, leveraging this superb notch on his resume for a much better position.

Back on topic, who do I have to hump to get a beta key.

edit: sry double post
    Last edited by DigitalSignalX; 23-01-2012 at 07:56 PM.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    Regretfully off the topic of crab sex, I'd have to say it's a positive sign as well. I think he's giving it (Diablo, not crustaceans) a big thumbs up.

The guy below you.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    Regretfully off the topic of crab sex, I'd have to say it's a positive sign as well. I think he's giving it (Diablo, not crustaceans) a big thumbs up. It's normal for people to leave a firm once a really big project is so near completion it's out of their hands. I think this is likely the case as well, leveraging this superb notch on his resume for a much better position.

The guy above you.

From Gamesradar:

"Hey Twitter, I'm no longer working at Blizzard or on D3. I've had a great 5 years there and those guys are going to kill it with Diablo," he tweeted this Saturday, later adding, “Yeah, probably should have used a better verb than 'kill it' about D3. They're going to do an amazing job.”

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by LongBlade View Post
    Horseshoe crabs have survived 250 million years, so I guess I could do worse. And their mating rituals are kinda interesting, so I'm good with that.
    More like 500 million years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    From Gamesradar:

"Hey Twitter, I'm no longer working at Blizzard or on D3. I've had a great 5 years there and those guys are going to kill it with Diablo," he tweeted this Saturday, later adding, “Yeah, probably should have used a better verb than 'kill it' about D3. They're going to do an amazing job.”
    Huh, interesting.

I still find his choice of words interesting. "They're going to do an amazing job."

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Huh, interesting.

I still find his choice of words interesting. "They're going to do an amazing job."
    What is it you're looking for there? Cause I see him saying they're going to do a good job.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    What is it you're looking for there? Cause I see him saying they're going to do a good job.
    The fact he's implying they haven't done a good job so far despite (or maybe because) the fact they were underneath him? Just a bit weird, is all.

The fact he's implying they haven't done a good job so far despite (or maybe because) the fact they were underneath him? Just a bit weird, is all.
    It's a FACT that he's implying they've done a poor job? There's no such thing. He's saying they'll do a fine job even though he's leaving. There's nothing to this... The guy is switching jobs, he used 'kill' to mean they're going to do a good job with the game, and then he clarified what he meant. There's no implication that they're not going to do a good job, or haven't done a good job in the past.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    This is one of those times I wish this forum had smileys.

I suppose the dude got tired and the game is nearing completion anyway (Beta patch 10 should roll out today and includes all those revamped systems revealed last week).
    He's worked on, what, only Battle Realms and Diablo 3 for the past 10 years? I bet he wants to work on something else that preferably doesn't take 7 years to come out.

Yuppers, i see nothing to this tbh. Ok, so he did use a peculiar verb, would could easily come across as a rather narcissistic 'i did so much and now they're just gonna balls it all up' but after the retweet, clearly he meant 'they're gonna own/pwn/smash/etc it'.
    Isn't the game pretty much done anyhoo? Likely his work's done and just needs dusting.
    Last edited by Memph; 23-01-2012 at 11:21 PM.