Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need advice on getting a Solid State Drive

Hey,
    So I've heard here and there (and possibly everywhere if I'd put the effort in) that SSDs give a huge noticeable boost to your systems performance so I decided that I would upgrade that next. My question to you lot is just what brand or whatever I should get. I've only got around 150 for one but that's no real problem since I'm not looking for one with huge amounts of space since I tend to keep a nice clean PC.
    So, any help? If you could link me to specific models and actually say why I should get it that would be groovey

I'd honestly wait and save up a bit if you plan on having a lot of games on your SSD. That's the kick, you need space, but space is at an extreme premium. It's more costly than the old days of $1 per meg ram. Also whatever you decide to do, weigh your speed options as well. Some SSDs will show the same price, storage etc etc, but will be only 270MBPS compared to the same one just a different manufacturer that does 400-500MBPS.

I'll edit with links in a minute

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225415...edium=products

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/192500...7Cprd:19250068

yes to these two as they have a good read/write speed for the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-X25-M-...725261-3358727 No to the Intel as it does not. I'd still caution you from wasting money on a 80gb SSD.. It will be filled rather quickly. Save up 300-400 quid and then shop for a decent 240-250gb SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTAO View Post
    yes to these two as they have a good read/write speed for the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-X25-M-...725261-3358727 No to the Intel as it does not.
    This is a factor of the rapidly evolving technology. When I bought my X25-M a year or so back it was one of the best on the market.

Note that you'll need a motherboard with SATA3 (aka 6.0Gb/s) to take full advantage of the speed of the latest generation SSDs. Not that that should dissuade you from pairing one up with a SATA2 motherboard if you don't currently have any SSD, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

I'd still caution you from wasting money on a 80gb SSD.. It will be filled rather quickly. Save up 300-400 quid and then shop for a decent 240-250gb SSD.
    Well that would depend upon how disciplined you are with regard to what you keep on your HDD, wouldn't it? My X25-M still has 27GB free space. That's not to say that I think 80GB is an ideal size for an OS/Programs drive, but for my habits I can't see envision having a use for more than 160GB of SSD storage. Of course each of us has our own habits, but that's the point: blanket statements are bad.

EDIT: 33GB free now after disabling hibernation. Forgot about that with recent reinstall. xD
    Last edited by Rii; 10-06-2011 at 02:34 PM.

I'd love to get a SSD but they are just not big enough. I currently have 296GB of data on my HDD, safe to say I hate reinstalling games.

I know about evolving technology. But some people might buy that thinking because it's Intel it is automatically better, which isn't true. As for space, I have to always watch what I get, as right now I'm down to 89.4GB on my primary 1TB HDD and 40.4GB on my second 1TB hdd. Can't wait until my new 1.5 hdd comes in tuesday.

Thanks for the advice so far people. Another question: If I get an SSD and just install my games onto it will it have the same impact (When playing) as using one as my main Drive?

good question. I don't honestly know as the SSD would still have to communicate with the regular HDD I assume you'd still have your OS installed on.

thanks for this thread, I'm interested in buying SSD too. Though I might wait a little more, since indeed the sizes they come are still too small for my tastes...
    if you like manga, RPG and dating sims, check my indie computer games

Thanks so far for the help.
    I've found this one which I'd be pretty happy with:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...roductId=44362

Just want to know if there's anything I've missed on it that is important.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Just want to know if there's anything I've missed on it that is important.
    it's not SATA 3.0 so it's basically obsolete already.

Ah, okay. I've had a look at SATA 3s and they're without a doubt better than 2 so now it's only really a question of size.

Network Hub
    I have a 40GB ssd in my pc as a boot drive and it still has 12GB free. You don't need to install games to them at all. The only difference you will see is a couple of seconds off of level loads. Save some money and get an 80GB ssd from Crucial. Best disks on themarket.

Quick question on SSDs. Does anybody know what kind of performance difference the buffer size makes?

Seen drives with 128mb+ and others with 0mb.

I have a Corsair CMFSSD-256GBG2D, and I can tell you they're "not soup yet" for Mr. Joe Average User out there. To get and maintain the performance you need you have to jump through some fairly technical hoops. I see only slight improvements over the twin 'raptors I used to use as the C drive. They're also small, and expensive.

I'd wait another 1-2 years.

Of course, that's just one brand and model of SSD, YMMV
    Last edited by Kablooie; 15-06-2011 at 02:33 AM.

Network Hub
    My Intel X-25V is very easy to use, other than making sure I don't install everything to it.

It has pretty modest read and write speeds, but i noticed a massive difference from the off, with windows 7 booting in 14 seconds.

as for maintenance, i use the intel ssd tool kit every couple of weeks, and thats a one click thing.

Hmm based on the replies I'm going to wait 1-2 more years too! the tech now seems simply "too new" and too expensive for what you get.

Network Hub
    to get benefits from SSDs, all you need to do is get a small one, like mine (40GB) and install the OS to it, and the rest of your stuff to the mechanical hard disk.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/40gb-...-3700-iops-oem

70. SEVENTY quid! for a whole new experience of using computers. almost instant on, if you have your word docs on it, instant opening (i loaded 250+ word documents instantly for the lolz the other day) and very snappy internet browsing.

i've said previously, i have a full install of Win7 X64 sitting on it, and i still have 11.1GB left of space on it, and performance doesnt degrade the more full it is. it doesnt ever need defragmenting.

Obscure Node
    Tom's Hardware posts a monthly round up of the best SSD's for your money. It's rather a good overview for what's out there and what it costs. Here is May's version that was posted about 2 weeks ago: here. This'll give you a great way to compare different drives.

Cool thanks a lot, going to check it. Even if I set my mind to wait at least 1 year so prices go down and quality/speed up :)