Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Network Hub

Quick John Walker/Everyone else, Protest!

This think is like a bad movie where the killer keeps coming back to life in the next sequel.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I dunno if John Walker should be flattered that you think him a leader of a popular movement or insulted that you think it's really just him complaining about all this.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I dunno if John Walker should be flattered that you think him a leader of a popular movement or insulted that you think it's really just him complaining about all this.
    Look through his articles and then you'll understand. The guy complains; a lot.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Well, John did write nearly all of the articles on SOPA/PIPA, and he's generally the most outspoken when it comes to DRM and silly international release dates.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    Well, John did write nearly all of the articles on SOPA/PIPA, and he's generally the most outspoken when it comes to DRM and silly international release dates.
    Saves too! :/ http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...-in-one-place/

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    And whatever else he's decided to be angry about that particular day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Redox, we don't really care...

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    -> Redox, we really don't care...

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    -> Redox, we really don't care...
    Confirmed?
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

So complaining is no longer allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by LaunchJC View Post
    Only complaining about complaining is allowed. However, since the seed complaint is no longer allowed to come to fruition, how can you then complain about that complaint which was never complained? Complain about a lack of complaint, I suppose, but that may still be considered an original complaint.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LaunchJC View Post
    Sure, it is, but when that complaining is a result of frustration that can have a financial impact on a business, and potentially impact people's lives in very negative ways, you'd expect a modicum of research to be done before hitting the post button.

See also all the various scaremongering DRM posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    I never insinuated in my posts that anyone was stupid, merely that John should probably spend some time researching DRM and EULA issues before writing incredibly inflammatory posts about them.

Thousands of people read his words, he owes it to them, to himself and to the industry to not make mistakes that can completely ruin people's lives.
    I don't know. As a consumer I don't really care about the finances of the industry, to use that nebulous term. I care that the product I buy is not riddled with DRM, making it impossible for me to play when my connection goes on a rampage as happens at times. So I'm quite happy for John to shed some light on the issue. Even if he makes mistakes, which he might, I don't really care. The industry seems to think I'm a dirty thief, so it's not like they are overly concerned with accuracy either.

If that somehow results in people losing their jobs it's sad for them, but it's not really my concern, as a consumer.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

No! We must comply with our corporate overlords, and be grateful for their cruelty!

Edit: Imagine this in allcaps.

Yup, it's definitely that people are stupid except those who agree with you, and not that it's perfectly possible for people to value consequences differently.

Activated Node
    I never insinuated in my posts that anyone was stupid, merely that John should probably spend some time researching DRM and EULA issues before writing incredibly inflammatory posts about them.

Thousands of people read his words, he owes it to them, to himself and to the industry to not make mistakes that can completely ruin people's lives.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Thanks for keeping this bumped to raise awareness, all =)
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Yup, it's definitely that people haven't done their research, except those who agree with you, and not that it's perfectly possible for people to value consequences differently.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakysh View Post
    Yup, it's definitely that people haven't done their research, except those who agree with you, and not that it's perfectly possible for people to value consequences differently.
    While I generally agree with and approve of John's outspokeness, the EA EULA/DRM stuff was oddly biased. The things he was raising an issue about very much SHOULD be pointed out, but pointing them out in only one EULA when they're present in those for Steam and most other digital services was... odd.

Back to topic, ACTA does indeed look bad. Let's hope it meets the same fate SOPA/PIPA did.
    Last edited by vinraith; 23-01-2012 at 08:13 PM.