Players and nations:

groovychainsaw: Pythium
    Jarvis: Man
    lasikbear: Bandar Log
    MasterBoo: R'lyeh
    Nullkigan: Vanheim
    riadsala: Jotunheim
    Sarigs: Ulm
    Last edited by Sarigs; 12-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Oh lordy I got my least documented pick. It's not even turn 1 and I'm already winging it! Pretender'll be in some time tomorrow.

I think myself, Pan and Arco are the players who have no actual MP experience? This is going to get interesting.

(NB: My dropbox account seems to be registered to a different e-mail, but it added me anyway and should be obvious which one is me ;))
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think so, though I will have to saw that my MP experience is summed up with "8 odd turns into my first ever game" so im not exactly a pro :-P

I added a folder called 'pretenders' to the dropbox folder, my pretender is already in :)
    "What can change the nature of man?"
    Visit my development blog: http://www.indigonflash.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    I'll try to get my pretender made tonight. Also, in addition to my lack of mp experience, I have a lack of sp experience, toos.... There's going to be some excellent noob mistakes from me I fear :)
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    My experience consists of 35 turns from the other RPS game, and that's it. So I wouldn't be too worried.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    Oh lordy I got my least documented pick. It's not even turn 1 and I'm already winging it! Pretender'll be in some time tomorrow.I think myself, Pan and Arco are the players who have no actual MP experience? This is going to get interesting. (NB: My dropbox account seems to be registered to a different e-mail, but it added me anyway and should be obvious which one is me ;))
    Yep first game at all here though I've been reading up and running some tests.I'm regretting having pan in the shortlist though having run the tests, would people be okay with my changing to my first choice nation? (it isn't in play).If there's disagreement I'll still have a crack with pan of course.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've got no problem with you bumping down to what ever your 2nd or 3rd choice was Jarvis, bit harsh locking you into a nation that you dont get on with will just make it painful ;-) Plus I'm not a fan of the stealthy buggers! If anyone else has a objection let us know other wise let us know what your choices were

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarigs View Post
    I've got no problem with you bumping down to what ever your 2nd or 3rd choice was Jarvis, bit harsh locking you into a nation that you dont get on with will just make it painful ;-) Plus I'm not a fan of the stealthy buggers! If anyone else has a objection let us know other wise let us know what your choices were
    Pan was second choice, r'leyh which I hope to move to was first choice.That first choice either clashed with someone else and we both got bumped down instead of one keeping it in which case I'd need their permission for it to be fair that I take r'leyh, or else it looks like we may all have had a random pick from our submited 3 and I should simply have done more testing of my choices.

My choices were Vanheim, T'ien Ch'i, Pythium. I think learning how to deal with the unexpected is part of the game, though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Testing choices? What is this you talk of? Sounds like cheating to me!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    In the interest of full disclosure, I've never played with any of my 3 choices in either SP or MP, half the fun is far as I'm concerned is digging into a new nation, flailing about madly and hoping your stating scales will work out ok. :-)

If we can get some kind of concensus about whether people are either happy for Jarvis to:
    A) Change to his 1st choice,
    B) Change to his 3rd choice if not already taken
    C) Lump it out as Pan

Really not keen on trying to force a nation on him he hasn't thought through and was clearly a error so I'll be judging everyone who votes on C :-P

Mathematically, I think 4 of us will have not had our first choice. That said, if Jotunheim was someone's second or third choice I'd be absolutely terrified to find out what their first choice was.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Mathematically, I think 4 of us will have not had our first choice. That said, if Jotunheim was someone's second or third choice I'd be absolutely terrified to find out what their first choice was.
    why? I hope this means that Jotunheim are a good strong side :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    why? I hope this means that Jotunheim are a good strong side :)
    yeah I hate all of the giant races :-)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Oh, and as far as changing nation, I *think* that Jarvis should just lump it, but I *vote* that he can do whatever he likes, as it's meant to be fun after all.

I guess I favour Sargis' "work things out as you go along" strategy :) And in the end of the day, the outcome of the game will likely be down to diplomacy as much as which nation you pick.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarigs View Post
    yeah I hate all of the giant races :-)
    what has a giant ever done to you? eh?

Jotunheim infantry are mostly giants. Giants are very powerful, if expensive. They'll have an excellent early game thanks to the strong armies, lose a bit of steam mid game (where the price of each Giant means that they can fall behind a little on research and multi-province fronts) and given the early conquests, a reasonably strong end game.

For the record, I don't mind Jarvis changing it's just that I'm in a similar situation with regards to T'ien Ch'i / Vanheim as he is with Pan / Rl'yeh, and I suspect there'll be at least one other player like that too?

Pan are actually reasonably tough with their Centaurs, Panii, etc, and have really stong nature magic which can lead to some good summons. For myself, T'ien have reasonable (if a little weak) magic diversity and can be quite powerful defensively.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Jotunheim infantry are mostly giants. Giants are very powerful, if expensive. They'll have an excellent early game thanks to the strong armies, lose a bit of steam mid game (where the price of each Giant means that they can fall behind a little on research and multi-province fronts) and given the early conquests, a reasonably strong end game.

For the record, I don't mind Jarvis changing it's just that I'm in a similar situation with regards to T'ien Ch'i / Vanheim as he is with Pan / Rl'yeh, and I suspect there'll be at least one other player like that too?

Pan are actually reasonably tough with their Centaurs, Panii, etc, and have really stong nature magic which can lead to some good summons. For myself, T'ien have reasonable (if a little weak) magic diversity and can be quite powerful defensively.
    Well, I've never played with them before. Or any race of giants :-) So i doubt i'll be much of a menace!

You sound very knowledgable for somebody claiming to be a n00b .

Lesser Hivemind Node

Well Jarvis the majority view appears to be that you should man up and ride out the randomness but no one is gonna complain if its a deal breaker for you and you really must change!

I'd be remiss if I didn't bring your attention to this thread over on the Dominion 3 forum which gives some basic strats for the different nations. While I like to experiment a bit, having absolutely no clear as to your nation can lead to some game breaking bad decision while designing your pretender. (I'm referring to absolutely screwing your self by picking the wrong kind of order/slough scales for your troop types)

Funnily enough the game I'm playing atm I got randomed T'ien as well and frankly their pretty gnarly, spreading free PD, decent enough infantry, great calvalry and more mage types then you can shake a stick at. Very good :-)