Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Civ 5 mods?

  1. #1
    Network Hub Ninjafoodstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    206

    Civ 5 mods?

    Cn anyone recommend any good/fun mods for Civ 5? I know about the Nights mod, and I realise there are lots of other over at civfanatics, but I was hoping to avoid the endless cycle of downloading/installing/troubleshooting/trying/deleting.
    "Give all your money to CoD. Give yourself to CoD. Play only CoD. There are no other games. Nothing else matters. Shoot the men. Shoot all the men. Shoot them all the time."

    Editor, Control Command Escape

    Steam | Raptr

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Here's the steps to getting the best Civ5 experience:-

    1. Play Civ5 vanilla.
    2. Play Civ5 modded to the nines.
    3. Play Civ4.
    4. Realise that 90% of the mods for Civ5 simply added in things missing from Civ4.
    5. Play Civ4 instead, with optional usage of the sheer shit tonne of awesome mods for it.

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    6. Ignore R-F

    Civ V is fine. Sadly not got any mod recommendations, though. Civ V really doesn't have anywhere near as big a mod community.


  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    6. Ignore R-F

    Civ V is fine. Sadly not got any mod recommendations, though. Civ V really doesn't have anywhere near as big a mod community.
    Civ V is nowhere near as good as IV. I don't see how anyone can claim it is.

    EDIT: Well, it might be as good, if you're looking for a small scale wargame that doesn't even do that well.

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,457
    And who in this topic has said it's as good as IV? In fact, who is the only person to compare it to IV?

    You, I believe.


  6. #6
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    269
    The comparison is inevitable, however. There has been so much taken out of Civ and stuff introduced that does not work..
    I don't think proper mod tools beyond the crippled sdk have been released for Civ5, so I doubt any mods that properly address the huge downsides of civ5 exist.
    In the meantime: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=389368

  7. #7
    Network Hub Ninjafoodstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    206
    So onto my next question: how can I now close this can of worms? ;)

    Seriously though, thanks for the info. Personally I prefer the UI in V, also lots of mods for IV don't run mac-side, which is when I tend to play Civ.
    "Give all your money to CoD. Give yourself to CoD. Play only CoD. There are no other games. Nothing else matters. Shoot the men. Shoot all the men. Shoot them all the time."

    Editor, Control Command Escape

    Steam | Raptr

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    And who in this topic has said it's as good as IV? In fact, who is the only person to compare it to IV?

    You, I believe.
    Because, if he wants Civ5 with mods, he pretty much just wants Civ4. Sorry for trying to help the guy out, no need to flip out about it.

    I mean, the only reason you've came into this thread is to attack me personally, so eh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Batolemaeus View Post
    The comparison is inevitable, however. There has been so much taken out of Civ and stuff introduced that does not work..
    I don't think proper mod tools beyond the crippled sdk have been released for Civ5, so I doubt any mods that properly address the huge downsides of civ5 exist.
    In the meantime: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=389368
    Exactly. Instead of playing Civ5 with mods (which just ends up being Civ4 with hexes and better graphics), you might as well just play vanilla Civ4.

    Take a look at the changes in that thread. Every single one of them is attempting to get the game closer to being Civ4. That's batshit nuts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjafoodstuff View Post
    So onto my next question: how can I now close this can of worms? ;)

    Seriously though, thanks for the info. Personally I prefer the UI in V, also lots of mods for IV don't run mac-side, which is when I tend to play Civ.
    Yeah, the UI in IV takes longer to get used to, but the bigger / more game changing mods for V inevitably effect the UI negatively (by adding out-of-the-way buttons etc).

    Honestly, you don't really need to mod Civ4, it's fine as vanilla. Maybe getting a better mapscript or something, but even that's no biggy.

    The only mod for Civ4 that you REALLY REALLY have to play is Fall from Heaven 2 (whatever subtitled version you want, since there's like 20 different ones that have been split off from the main mod because they believed their changes were best), simply because it's brilliant. Don't know if that's on Mac, though.

  9. #9
    Network Hub Ninjafoodstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    206
    Well it's all moot. Turns out the mac version of civ v doesn't even allow you to install mods. Back to civ 4 on windows for me then...
    Last edited by Ninjafoodstuff; 24-01-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: clarity
    "Give all your money to CoD. Give yourself to CoD. Play only CoD. There are no other games. Nothing else matters. Shoot the men. Shoot all the men. Shoot them all the time."

    Editor, Control Command Escape

    Steam | Raptr

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjafoodstuff View Post
    Well it's all moot. Turns out the mac version of civ v doesn't even allow you to install mods. Back to civ 4 on windows for me then...
    R-F gains a level!
    R-F has unlocked the "Always Right" ability.

  11. #11
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    99
    Nights. I've found about it on RPS, give it a whirl, and damn. Got Civ5 right, it did.

  12. #12
    Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio, US
    Posts
    561
    You know, as far as the whole argument between IV and V... I have to say that I like IV better personally. I liked some of the things that were in V, such as only one military unit per tile, for example... but there are things that I miss from IV as well, ie religions for one.

    They're both good games, but IV kept much more true to the name of Civilization than V did... and that's what I liked to see. If I want to play a good wargame with not much else in it, I'll go play a different title, honestly. I've played IV for so long because of the fact that it's not just a wargame, but so so much more.

    That said, I really need to spend some time with Galactic Civilizations 2 since I bought it on Steam. I've heard it's a very VERY good 4x.

  13. #13
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    611
    one-unit-per-tile broke the Civ AI though. Even if it's more fun for the player, it was a bad bad move on the game designers part.

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,107
    It certainly didn't take long for this thread to derail completely.

  15. #15
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    That said, I really need to spend some time with Galactic Civilizations 2 since I bought it on Steam. I've heard it's a very VERY good 4x.
    Really good stuff, that is. Nasty AI on higher levels, one of the few that actually work to defeat you instead of hanging tight and wait to be smashed. I'm talking diplomatic backstabbing plus surgical strike plus industrial sabotage level... by your best friend.
    However, I can't stand the combat model. It's so simplified it feels insulting. Shield beats laser, armor beats mass driver, ECM beats missiles. That's it. Forget the hours fine-tuning you spent in MoO2. No range, no to-hit, no fighter crafts, carriers or whatnot. And it's even worse since GC2 has one of the best starship editors ever. If you can get past the crappy combat model, uninspired soundtrack, and derivative aliens, it's a real treat.

  16. #16
    Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    380
    The major changes to Civ V are what keep me playing. Hexs are more balanced, before youd almost always move in a diagonal to reveal the most squares per turn, but if you dont know something like that, you play sub optimally.
    1 unit per tile is much better than the stacks of doom that you would have to build. And in Civ IV i would still have a maceman beat a tank or 20 every so often. Incredibly annoying.
    The city AI is much much better at taking care of your city in V, i believe. I used to have to micomanage every single city in IV because the AI would keep changing what i planned, or new citizens would reset everything i tried to do. When you have a continent of cities, this becomes tedious. Diplomacy AI is better too. Religion is gone (I didnt care for that mechanic, though im impressed they managed to get a religion mechanic working in a pretty decent way)

    Whoever, the AI in V cant use units right. So ive had to stop taking over the world by force after a few games. Game doesnt seem as fast. Balance is off, and the happiness mechanic is terrible, which is why i switch to NiGHTS. If Civ V mods can add stuff from Civ IV that are missing, then its the better game. Hexs and diplomacy/city AI win it for me.

    All that being said, im trying to find my version of Civ IV so i can install fall from heavan 2. Also, Civ IV works on my laptop, V doesnt. Sad days.

    Ive tried a few other mods, but none were interesting enough to me to play more than 1 game, though maybe if i stuck with them id find them good.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    The major changes to Civ V are what keep me playing. Hexs are more balanced, before youd almost always move in a diagonal to reveal the most squares per turn, but if you dont know something like that, you play sub optimally.
    Hexes are not more balanced, what is this ridiculousness? Hexes just look prettier. You have to think of squares as octogons tesselated with squares, not squares.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    1 unit per tile is much better than the stacks of doom that you would have to build. And in Civ IV i would still have a maceman beat a tank or 20 every so often. Incredibly annoying.
    No, it's not. I admit that stacks of doom aren't properly implemented in Civ4, but 1UPT is even worse off in Civ5. You need an attrition mechanic for doomstacks, and they'd be balanced. 1UPT is just awkward to use and decidedly unfun for both combatants. Combine that with the AIs retardation in relation to 1UPT and there's bigger issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    The city AI is much much better at taking care of your city in V, i believe. I used to have to micomanage every single city in IV because the AI would keep changing what i planned, or new citizens would reset everything i tried to do. When you have a continent of cities, this becomes tedious. Diplomacy AI is better too. Religion is gone (I didnt care for that mechanic, though im impressed they managed to get a religion mechanic working in a pretty decent way)
    I don't know, I've never not micromanaged a city in IV or V.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    Whoever, the AI in V cant use units right. So ive had to stop taking over the world by force after a few games. Game doesnt seem as fast. Balance is off, and the happiness mechanic is terrible, which is why i switch to NiGHTS. If Civ V mods can add stuff from Civ IV that are missing, then its the better game. Hexs and diplomacy/city AI win it for me.
    Hexes are terribly implemented for a lot of reasons (to be fair, Warlock: Master of the Arcane seems to be doing hexes well comparatively), diplomacy is far, far worse in Civ 5 than 4 and I have no idea about city AI.

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Hexes are not more balanced, what is this ridiculousness? Hexes just look prettier.
    No. With hexes, all adjacent tiles are the same distance. With squares, you end up with four tiles that are 1 unit away and four tiles that are 1.4 units away.

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,015
    While I do NOT want to get into a pointless Civ V vs. Civ IV debate, I DO want to highlight PerfectWorld3, a mapscript for Civ V that generates a map based on basic climate patterns. It is very beautiful, but generates a lot of rough, mountains, and deserts. Fortunately, the .lua is very tweakable and well-labeled, and it is simple to configure the map how you like it.

    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=399952

    Screenshot:

  20. #20
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Hexes are not more balanced, what is this ridiculousness? Hexes just look prettier. You have to think of squares as octogons tesselated with squares, not squares.
    This is where I disagree. Not specifically on the balancing parts, but imo Hexes are clearly superior. Diagonal movement is just awkward in Civ4. 1UPT ist also one of the advantages of Civ5, since it allows for more strategic use of terrain. There are actual chokepoints you can use as a defensive advantage, which is simply not possible in Civ4.

    The rest of the game is bad, or more to the point...horribly broken. Diplomacy is nonexistent, no alliance victories are possible, the AI absolutely fails to cope with the strategic depth of the combat system, it can't defend or use cavalry, the culture system is awkward and stripped down and the AI acting randomly. Victory conditions are slanted completely towards domination victories...

    I wish it was possible to merge Civ4 and 5 using Civ5 mod tools. Civ5 improved under the hood, and theoretically it would allow for a lot of awesome things, but the last time I did some modding for it, I constantly ran into issues with the limited capability of the mod tools..

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •