Weird new RAM/Video problem

Right here is the situation, just bought myself 4GB of new DDR2 memory to finally replace my measly 2GB I have currently. I installed the memory simply enough but when I powered the machine on there was no display on the monitor. I figured I must have knocked the graphics card but after fiddling with that and trying a spare card I had around I still had no luck at all. As a last effort I tried putting my old memory sticks back in and the PC worked fine.

So my question is how is new memory affecting my display?

Some extra PC info:

Mobo - ASUSTeK Computer INC. Model P5N32-E SLI PLUS (Socket 775)
    Current RAM - 2048MB DDR2 400MHz DRAM Frequency (Speccy doesn't give much info on RAM)
    New RAM - 2x2GB PC2-8500 DDR2 1066MHz CL5-7-7-25 DIMM (straight off of the stick!)
    GFX Card - GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Two possibilities:
    One: The new memory (at least one stick of) is duff.
    Two: You are running really close to your power limits.

The second seems unlikely, as memory doesn't draw so much power that I would have thought your PC worked otherwise.
    Anyway, first thing to do is try putting the new stuff in with only one stick.
    Do you get any beeps from the built in speaker when you power the PC on with the new memory, or do you have any other kind of fault monitoring on your motherboard (a little array of lights or LCD display?)

If your motherboard detects a hardware problem at boot it will throw up a blank screen and stop booting. It will then emit a series of beeps (aka beepcodes) which you can use to understand what it thinks the problem is. You'll need to go to the motherboard manufacturer's website or look in the manual for what the beepcodes mean. It will only beep if a [working!] PC speaker is hooked into the motherboard, this is usually part of your PC case. If you're not getting any beeps, not all cases have a speaker or it may not be plugged in correctly.

However, in this case we already know its your RAM. Try putting them back in, you may not have seated them properly the first time. Make sure you put them in the right slots, if you have 4 slots and 2 sticks of ram you need to put them so there's a gap between, e.g. you want your RAM in slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4. Consult your motherboard manual about that though, this has generally been the case for me but may not be for your kit.

If it still doesn't work your RAM is bust or just not supported by your motherboard.

Thanks for the advice so far guys, will try it out later. On the Mobo beeps front, my PC has never made any beeps even when I first bought it. I assume the sounds were turned off in the BIOS by whoever built the machine so I will have to enable them and try again.

There's not usually a switch in the BIOS for that, if you're not getting beeps the speaker is most likely not plugged in properly.

Activated Node
    It might that you mobo does not support the ram you have, some mobos only support certain ram speeds. I will chec your setup later but im in a levtre atm.

What brand is the new ram if you know of it?
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Simply Googling your motherboard got me to the Asus specs page, there is says about the memory:

4xDimm, max 8Gb, DDR2 800/667/533Non Ecc, Unbuffered memory

Which leaves me to suspect that your 1066 MHz sticks are incompatible with your motherboard, sorry.

One of the memory manufactures has a page somewhere that will check compatibility, can't remember where it is though.

Doh, there's a list on the Asus site:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int..._SLI_Plus/#MSL

Edit: but it doesn't seem exhaustive, guess that's what they tried with the board when it was released, memory manufacturers should be able to check compatibility, though.
    Last edited by Feldspar; 24-01-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Hmmm if that is true Feldspar then Crucials memory compatibility thing on their website is a load of pants. Wonder if I could get a refund if it does turn out to be incompatible or if they will just mock my stupidity :P

You should be able to get a refund; it obviously doesn't work in your machine, whereas the old memory does and unless you have to manually change something in the BIOS (not an impossibility, but unlikely on a modern motherboard) the only causes I can think of are duff RAM or non-compatibility, either way, since their website said it would work, you have a product not fit for purpose and covered under consumer rights for a full refund or exchange. It might be worth talking to/emailing their customer service peoples.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The fact that the new memory is rated too fast shouldn't be a problem. Underclocking memory is no trouble at all.
    Much more likely is either faulty memory (it happens, fairly often) or as was suggested above, you've put stuff into the wrong slots.

I thought you might have to play with some settings to underclock memory, but I can't say it's anything I've ever tried.

Network Hub
    Before you go the RMA route, test the new memory first. Remove all RAM sticks except for one of the new 2GB sticks in the first slot (usually the one closest to the CPU) and boot your computer. If you get all the way into Windows with no problems, try running a game just to be sure. If all goes well, great, but if your PC still doesn't boot you might have found a bad stick. Either way, shut down your PC, swap the installed 2GB stick for the second new one and repeat the process.

If one works and the other doesn't, then you've got a bad stick. I neither one works, then it's gotta be a compatibility problem. If both work in single, try installing both again and repeat the process above. It shouldn't matter which RAM slots you put them in for now because your motherboard should detect the slots and run them in dual-channel if they're installed in the same channel or single-channel if installed in different channels. But if your PC doesn't boot again, try moving the second stick to another slot and try again.

By the way, was your old RAM a pair of 1GB sticks or a single 2GB stick? If it was one stick and worked fine and your PC boots fine with one of the new sticks, the problem could be that your motherboard's dual-channel controller has gone out. That happened to me on a mobo with only two slots, so I could only use one stick at a time, but any stick would work in either slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by vecordae
    While I am as ignorant and irrational as the next man, I am also arrogant enough to assume I possess these qualities in greater abundance than is strictly normal and foolish enough to think that that's worth bragging about.
    Simply a brilliant signature, so I'm stealing it like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Yoink!