Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Radeon 7970: Who got one? Who wants one in the future?

Looking forward to obtaining one of these soon. Was curious if anyone else got one recently or if anyone looking to get one soon.

I am waiting on getting one of the non-reference boards that should be out soonish. I always have had good quality from Asus Cards and want to get one of these:
    http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/288...-gorgeous.aspx

As tempting as it is to get a reference card I think the wait will be worth it.

(as I type this newegg gets more Sapphires in stock)

I'd love one, but alas I have a 5870 and have no reason to upgrade. I can't max Skyrim and get a good framerate, but life goes on somehow.

I thought I read that XFX already had a semi-non-reference model out. The article I read mentioned it because it's unusual to have non-reference boards out so soon. You might look for them. Unfortunately for us, 7970s seem to be selling well because prices are a bit ridiculous at the moment.

I hope we don't have to wait for an answer from Nvidia before prices go down. I don't have a clue when their next gen is due. I do know that AMD could sell the 7970s for $200 less and still make a nice profit - their prices are only sky high because it's the fastest single GPU in the world right now.

Maybe AMD will release a dual-GPU 7990 and price it at the 7970's current price point, pushing everything down beneath it. All I know is that they're pretty cheap to make and I probably wouldn't buy one right now even if I had the money. $550 is a lot of money.

I just checked vr-zone.com and they say the 7950 comes out next week. Nvidia GTX 680 is rumored to drop in February. Prices WILL go down if you can wait a little bit.

http://vr-zone.com/tags/Graphics%20Cards

Nvidia's high end launches have all been paper launches lately, with prices remaining high for long times due to limited availability. Still, simply having competition will force AMD to adjust their prices. I'd wait.

Eh ... I have a 6850 so not even looking at this series of GPUs. Not sure what they're gonna do for the next series mind you with this one having brought both a new architecture and process drop.

I'll most certainly be buying a card from this generation as my Sapphire 4850 512MB isn't doing my i5-2500k OC justice. What's the best estimate for time on price drops?
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    4870 512MB is what I am upgrading from.

I am keeping my old system and putting in a 6850 to replace it, along with using it temporarily in my new system until I get a 79xx. Going from an E8500 to i7-2600K. E8500 will be used still by someone that won't be needing anything quad anytime soon.

Yah i saw the XFX non reference card but I am wanting to stick to Asus, they have been good to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I just can't see how you could spend 500 on a video card that will be made more efficient and cheaper so soon. I'm sure it's absolutely blistering, but how can it be worth it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I'm gonna wait until year-over-year graphics improvements prove to be more than incremental to upgrade again. I haven't been "wowed" by graphics since the original Crysis, which came out a few months after I originally built my PC. The only reason I have a 6850 is because my old card broke.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Any reason you guys presumably prefer AMD over Nvidia?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    -Money.
    -NVidia doesn't let you change dual monitor settings if you have a video player open. (at least on the GT220 I've tried it on. Maybe that's changed with later cards)

I don't have any love for AMD at all - it's just that I hate Nvidia. They killed DX10 with their 8800 GTX and you can't even find anyone talking about it anymore. The 8800 GTX was not a DX10 card. Nvidia used some of the DX10 specifications and ignored the ones they didn't care about. They rushed it to market and called it the world's first DX10 GPU. Instead of standing up for what was right, Microsoft caved and allowed the 8800 GTX to be certified as DX10. That is why ATI's HD2000 series was such a flop. What we call DX11 today is actually very similar to what DX10 was supposed to be. Honestly, it wouldn't be a stretch to partially blame Nvidia for the decline in PC gaming around that period.

Then Nvidia had entire generations of video cards fail because of their eutectic solders. Everyone still loved them because they had the cool black video cards. Nerdy ATI was red.

Then the Fermi disaster and the fake wooden video card that Jen-Hsun introduced at that technology conference.

I only buy AMD because I hate Nvidia so much. Personally, I can't wait for Intel to make Larabee a reality someday and bring some real competition into the market.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Been satisfied with ATI cards for over a decade. Last time I made a purchase they did not have the best top end cards, but they had the best power for the price, much like AMD CPUs used to be (which its meh now). Never had a problem with my cards not working with any program or game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    I just can't see how you could spend 500 on a video card that will be made more efficient and cheaper so soon. I'm sure it's absolutely blistering, but how can it be worth it?
    Gotta want to have the top end at some point. :)

Now for the people that Crossfire these...

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    That's a little too much horsepower IMHO. Here's a car metaphor:

ps, it's real.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Any reason you guys presumably prefer AMD over Nvidia?
    No brand allegiance here; I just go with whatever offers the best Perf/$ and/or Perf/Watt at the time. That might be Nvidia next time around, who knows?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    ATI seem to be having some support issues recently, so I'd be tempted to go Nvidia, who also seem to be like-for-like better in comparison cards, from whatever basic understanding I have of these things. Still, I went for the one I did because of price/performance.

(Also, I'm surprised/confident about the amount of people here who've said they have a 6850. I can join that club!)