Results 181 to 200 of 1260
08-06-2011, 01:58 PM #181
do we need mortars so desperately? What about two full squads and charlie being the tank/mechanized support? For all i care there could be a (limited amount of) A10s. Can mortar barrages be scripted to work like the air drops?
If this is going to focus around improving our Tac Tuesday experience on Domi (which i wouldn't mind becoming a stable) we should create a Google Doc.
08-06-2011, 01:59 PM #182
08-06-2011, 01:59 PM #183
08-06-2011, 02:01 PM #184
And you were off the leash, in that you were able to shoot everything you wanted, whereas we were literally being told to hold back whilst the mortars kill everyone.
08-06-2011, 02:01 PM #185
Cross posted from steam group chat:
The problem is that having too much stuff means that the 2 squads on the ground dont do much, while charlie seem to do everything. Thats not a problem with what Charlie were doing, but how things were set up. If we had no support team, but instead a javelin per squad or a light vehicle (maybe a apc with weaponry), or even a laser designated support from an A-10 or something, the foot squads would feel more involved.
Also, we should encourage new people to join in support squads etc, so it is not the same people using the big effective weapons.
08-06-2011, 02:04 PM #186
08-06-2011, 02:07 PM #187
Domination variants on the server have just been removed, I'm cooking something new up (you ingrates)
08-06-2011, 02:09 PM #188
08-06-2011, 02:10 PM #189
08-06-2011, 02:23 PM #190
- Join Date
- Jun 2011
I think this is getting too serious, almost as serious as the Final Solution?
In the worst case we can try different methods, armor instead of mortars, rotating squads to lead and back up etc... It's just a game and the important thing is that we enjoy ourselves as much as possible.
I mean all this arguing about who was in front, who should/shouldn't come back to help etc is a bit too much?? It happened like that and we can try different things and see how it goes. I was in Bravo and did not do much shooting as I was busy healing/reviving but it was ok, I still had fun with it. I mean this is worse than Hitler! HITLERRRRRRRRRR
08-06-2011, 02:24 PM #191
08-06-2011, 02:25 PM #192
You posted it literally seconds before I was going to. >.<
P.S: Charlie squad is the best.
P.P.S: Gotta love the glorious anti-aliasing level on my PC...
08-06-2011, 02:28 PM #193P.P.S: Gotta love the glorious anti-aliasing level on my PC...
08-06-2011, 03:23 PM #194
Can we burn the last few pages of this thread? It's like reading the script of an episode of 90210 with a cast of amateur milsimmers.RPS Arma 2 community server!
Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.
08-06-2011, 04:25 PM #195
- Join Date
- Jun 2011
Here we go:
Originally Posted by Alex Bakke
- The mortar completely ruined things. The point of the mortar is to be called in for specific targets - So, for the infantry on the ground to spot, observe, and call in a strike on a target, making adjustments to the zone of impact.
When we didn't and just saw them getting torn to shreds I ordered Liq to bring down hell on earth on anything made out of more then 10kg metal.
I was under the impression that Charlie were supposed to be a squad that would be called in to deal with certain things, not just the squad that would get all the toys and then be unleashed.
...just like a fire support team.
So perhaps in the next domi we play, we could have Charlie sitting back, and waiting for an FO from Charlie attached to another squad, calling in strikes on a target, like a mosque, or tank (Edit: That the current troops are having difficulty with); otherwise, it's no fun for the footsloggers.
- I feel that Bravo and Alpha were too close together; whether that's a symptom of poor squad management (Which I don't think is the issue) or poor planning, we were overlapping most times, with Alpha just following Bravo, not really getting involved.
When attacking the second town I wanted both squads on a huge line walking towards to town so that noone was left behind while 2 ppl got all the kills/contacts.
Looking at the map, that didn't seem to work at all.
- There was no point having a designated marksmen in the squad, as we didn't have the DMR which gives increased zoom. The rifles we could use didn't zero to a high enough distance for the DM role to be worth it. If we had DMRs or M24s, then happy days.
- Not having a dedicated AA trooper really punished us at the beginning, with the Mi-24 and the Su-25. We were only saved really, by Joseph being lucky enough to spawn in just after it killed a load of us, so he could pick up a Stinger and try to take it out.
- AT troopers were completely (In Bravo's team at least; Alpha did have a use for it, but the Abrams killed the target first.) redundant. A complete lack of intact targets meant that it was just a better option for me to fire off MAAWS rockets at Helos.
And as previously stated, we need Bradleys. or atleast humvees.
08-06-2011, 04:36 PM #196
There is an option in the parameters to reduce the amount of armour that spawns, so I won't be changing that manually. If you want less, that's up to the admin to set up, or you to bug the admin to set up.
08-06-2011, 04:48 PM #197
- Join Date
- Jun 2011
Sweet, I had no idea that there was those kind of options on there.
I'll try to write down some sort of AAR tonight so y'all can see where I failed :P
It was great fun to try and lead ('twas alot harder then I remember) and a BIG thanks to my knights/SL's Unaco, Liqourish and Wulf (who's nick is Wolf-something. always forget, sorry).
08-06-2011, 04:53 PM #198
I'm hoping to run an organised Domination again tonight with a version I will be uploading Soon™.
08-06-2011, 05:09 PM #199
Just in general, I find this discussion awesome. I love that people are arguing about how to make domi even more fun. :D
However, waiting for the mortars to finish murdering everything before the infantry moves in is Bad. Next time, I think we should play toys domi, but restrict ourselves to only certain toys. So that we can have a mortar barrage, followed by a tank push, with two IFVs with infantry rushing into town to murder everything, and capture the objectives.
Dammit I don't know how to add another quote but Jimmy said some things that I will now respond to:
The problem was that the support squad wasn't supporting, it was murdering everyone.
Infantry squads need AA in some form (a stinger?) and dedicated AT (a maaws or a javelin). Vehicles for the infantry squads would improve things immensely, since they could move in and kill things much faster, without getting bogged down in infantry skirmishes on the outskirts of town. IFVs would be in order, I think.
I'm not sure about A-10s, since it's harder to call out targets once you're in the town. It might be even more likely that the infantry gets stuck outside while someone in an A-10 blows everything to hell. Infantry can't exactly advance into the soon-to-be inferno.
Charlie shouldn't be the toy squad, it should be the support squad. Honestly, I find supporting other squads more fun than overseeing massive destruction (I know, I'm messed up.)
So, general suggestion for plan next time:
1) Charlie scouts, maybe blows up some initial targets to clear the way for:
2) Infantry squad zooms into town in IFVs, raising hell, etc. (come in from different directions, for good measure)
3) Infantry dismounts and starts completes objectives, while calling out targets for charlie to blow up from far away.
08-06-2011, 05:11 PM #200
Just an idea, but a coloured M203 smoke grenade can be an extremely useful tool for directing air support.