Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    do we need mortars so desperately? What about two full squads and charlie being the tank/mechanized support? For all i care there could be a (limited amount of) A10s. Can mortar barrages be scripted to work like the air drops?

PS:
    If this is going to focus around improving our Tac Tuesday experience on Domi (which i wouldn't mind becoming a stable) we should create a Google Doc.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 08-06-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    You seem to be thinking that I'm blaming you - this is not the case. You did exactly as you were told. I'm saying that the current system of killing everything isn't working. Read my post if you want an idea of how I believe it's supposed to work.
    No, I do not think you're blaming me, I just think that your suggestions are somewhat poor, as having to wait for a fire mission is not fun, it's just boring. I also don't like the way you refer to Charlie as being off the leash, when we were as professional and constrained as any of the other fireteams.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    do we need mortars so desperately? What about two full squads and charlie being the tank/mechanized support?
    Sounds good to me, I'm as happy driving a tank as I am behind a mortar.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangLove View Post
    No, I do not think you're blaming me, I just think that your suggestions are somewhat poor, as having to wait for a fire mission is not fun, it's just boring. I also don't like the way you refer to Charlie as being off the leash, when we were as professional and constrained as any of the other fireteams.
    So the consensus seems to be this - Either you have no fun, or we have no fun. So why do we need mortars? We've got the artillery FMs already.

And you were off the leash, in that you were able to shoot everything you wanted, whereas we were literally being told to hold back whilst the mortars kill everyone.

Cross posted from steam group chat:

The problem is that having too much stuff means that the 2 squads on the ground dont do much, while charlie seem to do everything. Thats not a problem with what Charlie were doing, but how things were set up. If we had no support team, but instead a javelin per squad or a light vehicle (maybe a apc with weaponry), or even a laser designated support from an A-10 or something, the foot squads would feel more involved.

Also, we should encourage new people to join in support squads etc, so it is not the same people using the big effective weapons.

So the consensus seems to be this - Either you have no fun, or we have no fun. So why do we need mortars? We've got the artillery FMs already.
    Read my last post.

Domination variants on the server have just been removed, I'm cooking something new up (you ingrates)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
    Domination variants on the server have just been removed, I'm cooking something new up (you ingrates)
    everybody gets a mortar?

btw. we're having an online discussion over several pages now without anybody raging, calling people worse than hitler or comparing stuff to the holocaust. arps is truly teh best.

Secondary solution, play Air Assault.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think this is getting too serious, almost as serious as the Final Solution?
    In the worst case we can try different methods, armor instead of mortars, rotating squads to lead and back up etc... It's just a game and the important thing is that we enjoy ourselves as much as possible.
    I mean all this arguing about who was in front, who should/shouldn't come back to help etc is a bit too much?? It happened like that and we can try different things and see how it goes. I was in Bravo and did not do much shooting as I was busy healing/reviving but it was ok, I still had fun with it. I mean this is worse than Hitler! HITLERRRRRRRRRR

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59...D02BB2910BADB/

'Cause egg has yet to post it, above is a photo of the glorious Charlie team.

You posted it literally seconds before I was going to. >.<

P.S: Charlie squad is the best.
    P.P.S: Gotta love the glorious anti-aliasing level on my PC...

P.P.S: Gotta love the glorious anti-aliasing level on my PC...
    I was relieved to see someone having even worse graphics than i do. Also, turning Anti-Aliasing on on my rig creates wonderful white artifacts on trees and general vegetation due to an ATI-issue.

Can we burn the last few pages of this thread? It's like reading the script of an episode of 90210 with a cast of amateur milsimmers.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Activated Node
    Here we go:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke
    [...]or I'll just have a general rule of not playing with you anymore.
    I'll keep away from you, deal?

- The mortar completely ruined things. The point of the mortar is to be called in for specific targets - So, for the infantry on the ground to spot, observe, and call in a strike on a target, making adjustments to the zone of impact.
    We(Me and Liq) were bugging Alpha and Bravo SL's to mark targets or tell if they needed any specific support.
    When we didn't and just saw them getting torn to shreds I ordered Liq to bring down hell on earth on anything made out of more then 10kg metal.

I was under the impression that Charlie were supposed to be a squad that would be called in to deal with certain things, not just the squad that would get all the toys and then be unleashed.
    They got mortars, a javelin and perhaps a sniper.
    ...just like a fire support team.

So perhaps in the next domi we play, we could have Charlie sitting back, and waiting for an FO from Charlie attached to another squad, calling in strikes on a target, like a mosque, or tank (Edit: That the current troops are having difficulty with); otherwise, it's no fun for the footsloggers.
    The problem with infantry domi is that enemies are they same as regular domi, meaning Tanks, BMP's M113, UAZ's, Shielkas, and so on. Things that "footsloggers" have a big problem dealing with.

- I feel that Bravo and Alpha were too close together; whether that's a symptom of poor squad management (Which I don't think is the issue) or poor planning, we were overlapping most times, with Alpha just following Bravo, not really getting involved.
    First attack on (nur?), Alpha was to follow Bravo down the slope and the proceed with a joint "fire-line" into town, after a lot of casualties Unaco made the bold move to suggest taking his squad more east to spread out the line, which worked perfectly.
    When attacking the second town I wanted both squads on a huge line walking towards to town so that noone was left behind while 2 ppl got all the kills/contacts.
    Looking at the map, that didn't seem to work at all.

- There was no point having a designated marksmen in the squad, as we didn't have the DMR which gives increased zoom. The rifles we could use didn't zero to a high enough distance for the DM role to be worth it. If we had DMRs or M24s, then happy days.
    Next time we can try adding a real sniper element to charlie/delta and you can run around as a wookie :)

- Not having a dedicated AA trooper really punished us at the beginning, with the Mi-24 and the Su-25. We were only saved really, by Joseph being lucky enough to spawn in just after it killed a load of us, so he could pick up a Stinger and try to take it out.
    My fault, I forgot to tell Charlie to deal with those things too.

- AT troopers were completely (In Bravo's team at least; Alpha did have a use for it, but the Abrams killed the target first.) redundant. A complete lack of intact targets meant that it was just a better option for me to fire off MAAWS rockets at Helos.
    Bring down the tank/bmp ratio and add some UAZ/M113's instead and the mortars are unnecessary 'cuz the "footsloggers" can deal with them.

And as previously stated, we need Bradleys. or atleast humvees.

There is an option in the parameters to reduce the amount of armour that spawns, so I won't be changing that manually. If you want less, that's up to the admin to set up, or you to bug the admin to set up.

Activated Node
    Sweet, I had no idea that there was those kind of options on there.

I'll try to write down some sort of AAR tonight so y'all can see where I failed :P

It was great fun to try and lead ('twas alot harder then I remember) and a BIG thanks to my knights/SL's Unaco, Liqourish and Wulf (who's nick is Wolf-something. always forget, sorry).

I'm hoping to run an organised Domination again tonight with a version I will be uploading Soon™.

Just in general, I find this discussion awesome. I love that people are arguing about how to make domi even more fun. :D

And you were off the leash, in that you were able to shoot everything you wanted, whereas we were literally being told to hold back whilst the mortars kill everyone.
    I don't think we ever called down artillery, or at least I never ordered it. We agreed that it isn't very fun, since there's very little player involvement. The mortar involved people working together to stop targets.

However, waiting for the mortars to finish murdering everything before the infantry moves in is Bad. Next time, I think we should play toys domi, but restrict ourselves to only certain toys. So that we can have a mortar barrage, followed by a tank push, with two IFVs with infantry rushing into town to murder everything, and capture the objectives.

Dammit I don't know how to add another quote but Jimmy said some things that I will now respond to:

The problem was that the support squad wasn't supporting, it was murdering everyone.

Infantry squads need AA in some form (a stinger?) and dedicated AT (a maaws or a javelin). Vehicles for the infantry squads would improve things immensely, since they could move in and kill things much faster, without getting bogged down in infantry skirmishes on the outskirts of town. IFVs would be in order, I think.

I'm not sure about A-10s, since it's harder to call out targets once you're in the town. It might be even more likely that the infantry gets stuck outside while someone in an A-10 blows everything to hell. Infantry can't exactly advance into the soon-to-be inferno.

Charlie shouldn't be the toy squad, it should be the support squad. Honestly, I find supporting other squads more fun than overseeing massive destruction (I know, I'm messed up.)

So, general suggestion for plan next time:

1) Charlie scouts, maybe blows up some initial targets to clear the way for:
    2) Infantry squad zooms into town in IFVs, raising hell, etc. (come in from different directions, for good measure)
    3) Infantry dismounts and starts completes objectives, while calling out targets for charlie to blow up from far away.
    4) ???
    5) Profit!
    (sorry)

Just an idea, but a coloured M203 smoke grenade can be an extremely useful tool for directing air support.