Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Darn, I didn't know you were going to be all tactical on a wednesday, I would have joined. About the A-10, having it wait at the airstrip for command sounds intriguing to me, just have a browser or a book nearby and then respond whenever an order is recieved; it also makes the actual bombing more intense because of the delay between them. Also, bombing manually is hard I must say, I think I'll have to go practise a bit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liqourish View Post
    I think it might be better to have someone other than the marksman doing it, since spotting targets and marking them are two separate things. The marksman will be better at overwatch if he doesn't have to lase.
    A sniper-spotter team could cover both, surely? I suppose it might depend on numbers as much as anything, though. I could have done some lasing if I'd bought the gear today, but you're right that once things heated up a bit, doing that would have meant I couldn't cover my team at all.

The JTAC should also be the Artilleryguy, as JTACs also concern themselves with that stuff in real life.

I'm not a fan of using the offscreen artillery, since there's little player involvement, but in general, yes. As long as it's someone who can actually concentrate on it.

SvDvorak: I doubt you'd have time to read a book, you'd pretty much be up in the air from the start, only going down for rearms, and I guess when the objective is almost completed and the infantry are storming in.

VOICE OF GOD, LISTEN AND OBEY (...Comrades)

We have the new test server for the next 30 days, but we've only got 5-6 days to decide whether or not we're actually going to move to it. In that time I also need to set up a server instance for Folk and come up with a patching strategy (because there are no linux patches and you can't run the windows ones on linux - you have to patch on windows then transfer the files across manually :().

I'd like you to keep using the test server as much as possible and report any problems and whether or not performance seems better than the old server. I know we were having some connection issues tonight, but I don't know if they were (a) a statistical outlier (b) de rigeur for this provider (c) the linux server binaries fault. There's a long thread on the BIS forums that says linux server performance is less than ideal, which I wish I had read before we'd asked for that configuration. If necessary, we can just about afford windows as well, but I don't want to push our budgets if the peering is poor. I'll try to post a budget summary tomorrow, too.

Pay special attention the the performance of the server after an hour or two of play, if you're an admin use #monitor and keep a rough track of fps counts.

---

Also, not having to listen to any of you jabber was blissful tonight. Xenu Squad Best Squad.
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 08-06-2011 at 11:51 PM.

I was thinking more along the lines of only taking out lased armour or something along those lines. I'd emphasize that you use support only if you're able to accept the time it takes for it to get there. I'd also like to add that rearming takes quite a while too.

Either way if we're using A-10's, I vote for trying out to only use GAU-8 and Hydras since those lock-on rockets are really boring to use while bombs are hard to aim and level a town. I played around a bit a few minutes ago and you're able to take down a couple of vehicles before you need to rearm (this depends on how well the strafing runs go ofc). It's also alot of fun and requires more from the player than just locking on and firing a rocket.

Also, sweet Null! What are the benefits of this new server compared to the old one?

Strafing runs with the cannon would also be appreciated, as they're useful for taking out all that infantry, as well as looking badass.

I'm not sure how effective strafing against infantry would be unless you got a very specific path to strafe along, the splash isn't big enough for random strafing to do much damage if I remember correctly.

Well in that case you can always strafe light vehicles. The main point is lots of gunfire and explosions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    With proper recon, lasing the heavy armour should be easy enough, especially if we go at night again. Waiting around is less of an issue then, and lighter stuff can be done in with rockets or grenade launchers.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangLove View Post
    - The A10 seems to work better than the Mortars, and still presents a 'logistical problem' in the refuel and rearm capacity.
    There's never really been a problem with the A-10 as long as its pilot didn't simply use it to go strafing everything with the GAU-8. Back in the days of all-Domi, we just had bob circling at altitude waiting for a lased target, and then dropping bombs on it, and it was good. That's why it got put in to Domi permanently. :P

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SvDvorak View Post
    I'm not sure how effective strafing against infantry would be unless you got a very specific path to strafe along, the splash isn't big enough for random strafing to do much damage if I remember correctly.
    Splash not, but boy does that thing spread if you start shooting from further out.

One strafing run with the cannon and no missiles on the air attack mission thingy netted me 40 kills..

A-10 in general sounds quite good. Still need IFVs though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well last night I had some minor stutter but nothing major, maybe it was just the AI spawning? In any case it did not hinder my ability to play.
    Also, I had Arma2 crash during the game. When trying to rejoin, I got a 'connection refused' message but trying a second time it worked so I didn't have Unaco's problems.

Having said that, are we, er, 'stress testing' the server again tonight? And yes it was good to be in a silent squad (maybe I m getting too old?).

Activated Node
    I really want this game. Tempted to just drop the 20 for it on Steam rather than wait for it to be cheap again.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by y2rich View Post
    I really want this game. Tempted to just drop the 20 for it on Steam rather than wait for it to be cheap again.
    If you can spare it and your PC can play it, then I would say go for it. It s not that hard to learn, it s fun playing with ARPS and the experience is so varied that you can keep playing it for a long time (BFBC2 got a bit old for me after 3 months for example.)
    Maybe someone else could tell you if it s better getting it for Steam or not (I dont have it on Steam so I dont know if there are particular issues or not).

play is 12.something quid : http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/9004...search&cur=257

But I would suggest buying Combined Operations as we usually play a bit of both Arma2 base and Operation Arrowhead. Or if you want to get only one of them, if I m not mistaken, OA is the one we play on more often.

Activated Node
    Aye I've already got Arma 2, just want to get Operation Arrowhead now. Did mention this a few pages ago but reading your reports of the action has made me want it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansob View Post
    There's never really been a problem with the A-10 as long as its pilot didn't simply use it to go strafing everything with the GAU-8. Back in the days of all-Domi, we just had bob circling at altitude waiting for a lased target, and then dropping bombs on it, and it was good. That's why it got put in to Domi permanently. :P
    Well, what I really meant was in the vein of what liqourish was referring to earlier in chat, in that the inf Mortar needs a couple of people carrying it. It's not so much a real problem, but it does add a small hurdle.

oh oh! Can we please use (red?) smoke shot from an EGLM to market targets for cannon strafing? That would also make for badass occasions:

*PLUNK*
    *fsshh*
    *BRAAAAAAP*
    Last edited by Liqourish; 09-06-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: ain't got not reason, ain't got no rhyme.

That might be true come to think of it... but the role of the A-10 in domi is to eliminate things that are a problematic for infantry, ie tanks, air, etc.

I did some more flying today and timed how long it took to RTB, rearm and return to target. I think it took about 6 minutes to RTB, rearm and then return to target with a target that was 8km out. I'm guessing there would be a 2-3 minute delay between order and completion during actual play (I would prefer if you don't have it circling, you shouldn't be calling it in for every single target).

I would like to do some more tactical play tonight, try out the new server and all.
    Last edited by SvDvorak; 09-06-2011 at 12:50 PM.