Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    [[EDIT - All missions transferred. Except for two, which nobody will notice. In the future, all mission names need to be lowercase and have [square brackets], not (curved parentheses) only. Spaces in filenames are permissable, but ideally underscores_should_be_used_instead.]]

So here's the financial report I promised:

ARPS Coffers: 515 (to last 6+ months).
    Top three donors: IceRaiser, Kataras, Bodge.

Folk Consideration: up to 35 a month in exchange for a server instance, potentially switching the RPS server off during events to compensate for increased demand (because we play with them anyway)

After each price I'm listing the state of our treasury after we make the payment, EXCLUSIVE of any agreement with Folk. But we really want to help them out because they're awesome and the Free Trial Server is in their name.

Current server: 2x2.4 GHz, 2 GB DDR2, 0.08TB 10K HDD.
            &n bsp;       &nbs p;          398 (+117).
            &n bsp;       &nbs p;          UK. ~35-40 players. Expires 16/06/11

OVH FTS: 4x3.1 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 2x120 GB SSD in RAID 1 (mirror).
            &n bsp;       &nbs p;          528 (-13, -103 if we want Windows 2008 Web).
            &n bsp;       &nbs p;          France. JestServers colo here.

Other offers:

KillerCreation R300: 4x2.4 GHz, 4 GB DDR2, 250GB 7.2K HDD, Windows.
            &n bsp;       &nbs p;          550 (-35)
            &n bsp;       &nbs p;          UK, decent support, known connection quality. Not a huge upgrade :/

OVH Kimsufi i5-16G: 4x.2.66 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 2x1TB 7.2K HDD in RAID 1 (mirrior).
            &n bsp;       &nbs p;          319 (+196, +106 with Windows 2008 Web).
            &n bsp;       &nbs p;          France. JestServers colo here.
            &n bsp;       &nbs p;          (It's actually a child company so no free trial)

Hetzner EQ4: 4x2.66 GHz, 8 GB DDR3, 2x0.75TB 7.2K HDDs in RAID 1 (mirrior).
            &n bsp;       &nbs p;          410 (+105, +20 with Windows 2008 Web).
            &n bsp;       &nbs p;          Germany. JestServers colo here, too. Folk rent from Jest in this datacentre.

Snelserver Quad: 4x3.06 GHz, 6 GB DDR 3, 2x0.5TB 7.2K HDDs.
            &n bsp;       &nbs p;          540 (-25, -80 with Windows 2008 Web).
            &n bsp;       &nbs p;          Netherlands. ServerFFS partner (if anyone knows them)

To improve performance, we ideally want (a) a good connection and (b) a high cpu speed. A little bit more RAM would be nice, too. Secondary cores do not add huge performance gains as the primary thread is the most onerous one.

All these servers are on 100mbit connections. I don't THINK we'd have any improvement from switching over to more expensive gigabit ones, given our player counts.

I'm still open to other offers, but we're running out of time.
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 09-06-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Excellent work Null on finding all those alternatives!

I just have to ask one question... are we straining the server as it is right now? I haven't seen any numbers during peak times, so I'm curious to if we're maxing the server out as it is.

The OVH FTS does look amazingly awesome but that price is quite high... if we're not at the limit of our current server then maybe the Hetzner EQ4 would do, it's worked well for Folk hasn't it? Ofc, if we're splitting a server with Folk then maybe it's worth to get something pimping. I'd also like to add that I got a job in a couple of weeks so I will soon be able to go crazy with donations (not Ice-crazy maybe, but a bit insane).

Also, I would like a piechart :D

Yes, the current server is struggling a little, especially during high turnout events. Day to day performance is more or less adequate, but not sufficient for running a second instance of ARMA2 on the same box.

Folk are currently hosted by Jest, on a non-dedicated server. His spec for a 64 player server is (EDIT to remove specifics as he originally wanted them kept quiet) an overclocked CPU and about 1 GB RAM on an SSD. I'm not sure what a 20 slot server gets.

... I went and converted all the missions to lowercase. I'll push them over to the new server later.

Edit: DONE.
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 09-06-2011 at 04:18 PM.

OK... here's the problem I had last night, in case anyone out there may know how to fix it.

I could connect to the server, and I could get to the lobby, and at the start I could choose my slot and OK. When we first kicked it, I started downloading the map/mission, got to the end of the download, and then I got an error about Vehicles.sqf or similar, and I got a black map, no mission details, and was somewhat kicked out... I spawned, I think, but in Rasman Run the mission we had just been playing on the previous server. My rprt has plenty (several thousand) of messages about "Unexpected Vehicle type" or similar. When I connected again, no matter if I had the .pbo in my folder, either from the server download, or from a link Null game me, the server would download again, and the same thing would happen... I could join the lobby, pick a slot, see Global messages and deaths/friendly fire etc, hit OK, I would download the map, it would show getting to within 3-4KB of complete, then stop (but I'd have the pbo in my folder afterwards), then the download dialogue would be replaced with "Receiving Data" and would stick there. The only thing I could do was hit escape to disconnect from the server.

The 'Receiving Data' error seems to have come up for a few people, from a Google search. I tried pretty much everything, restarted ArmA/Steam/Comp/Router. Tried getting the pbo from somewere other than the server. Opened all the ports on my router. Tried a new profile. Verified my install through Steam. Cleared out my mission caches. Tried a temp dir for my configs. Nothing seemed to work. Something I did did do something... After a while (when I cleared my rprt I think, to write a fresh one), when I joined the Lobby the slots were all messed up... there were OpFor slots apparently. Also, when I was in the Lobby, the name/map/description for the mission (at the top of the slotting up screen) were all blank, as if I wasn't able to read something from the server, or get some info from it (unless these were blank for everyone).

I can connect to the server now, and, if there's a map going, I can join, slot up, download and play... so it may just have been that particular mission. However, if the server is empty, or it's on creating, I can join but get a black screen and 'wait for host', shift+p does nothing, I can login as admin, but can't do anything, just get the 'wait for host'.

Couple things I would like to try, see if I can figure out were the problem is exactly. I wouldn't mind getting the pbo from someone who has played, from their folder... just to test if it's a problem with the servers distribution of the pbo. Could try that same map/mission, but on the old server, again to see if it's a problem with the server distributing that map/mission, or the map/mission itself. Also, would like to try to join/play that mission with only 1 or 2 people on the server... read there might be issues with Linux servers distributing files when it has a heavy load (i.e., when there's 20 others joining/playing). Try similar Domi's on the server, to see if it's maybe to do with the size of the .pbo, or something particular in those types of maps/missions.

Another thing it could be... I noticed there were differences between the capitalisations of the version I got from the server, and the version Null linked me to. I remember reading about something, completely ArmA unrelated, that involved issues between *nix and Win7 64 and capitalisation discrepancies. I know *nix systems have issues with different cases, so that might be the problem.

It is a bit odd that it was only me with the issue. I reckon it's either to do with the new server (I've had no issues on the old server, was playing on that server fine right up to when we switched servers), that Domi mission (can play other missions on the new server, and have played other Domis no problem), or some strange interaction between the two. Or some strange interaction between my install/system and the new server or that new Domi... or all three.

Are those prices per 6 months, or something else?

Just tried to connect again. Server was running CTI "When Diplomacy Fails" or something. Lobby is completely blank, no slots available, no sides available, no one elses name at the right hand side. I can OK, it starts to download (exact same file size as the Domi from yesterday), downloads it all, then gives me a "Script InitMission.sqf not found" error, then boots me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    [...] I remember reading about something, completely ArmA unrelated, that involved issues between *nix and Win7 64 and capitalisation discrepancies. I know *nix systems have issues with different cases, so that might be the problem. [...]
    The linux server uses all lowercase mission names else it will crash. That will have been the only difference between the version I uploaded (from the Windows box) and on the server.

I have no idea what is going wrong otherwise, though :( Bag a few traceroutes and I'll see if support can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Are those prices per 6 months, or something else?
    Yes, including installation fees where applicable (OVH, Kimsufi, Hetzner).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I would love to contribute to costs as I'm playing with you guys a lot lately, but my current family situation is a bit too uncertain. Hopefully in a couple of months I'll be able to help out.

I don't see the point in running two instances of Arma on the same box, Null.

I think we'd be much better off just getting a server big enough for both Folk and ourselves, and just play together from now on, funding it 50/50. There's already a good amount of crossover and it would possibly save us some money and would mean we can get a server that performs better.

My only requirements re: the server are that we be allowed to use STHUD/sound mods/Blastcore/Fallujah missions at all times, and that we be able to put up other servers for stuff like KF, Brink, etc. - whatever we're playing basically. Beyond that, as long as it runs well, I don't really care.

Are the Sunday folk sessions the only time folk play?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Are the Sunday folk sessions the only time folk play?
    Don't think so. I've played on their box once when it wasn't a Sunday. They also use it for testing etc. I would think FOLK would want to keep their own server instance (with limited Mod whitelist, only their FOLK approved missions and their very neat mission lists), just like ARPS would want to keep their own server instance.

Would love to come and repeatedly die in a couple of matches with the RPS community I just need to find somewhere that has CO for a reasonable price.

If anyone has used this service could you please tell me whether or not it is any good/reliable?
    http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/i...hk=1&Itemid=57

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @Elro, it should be (although never tried it), is it not directly from BIS themselves?

I agree with Ansob in that I would like it to be able to keep mods etc. Apart from that I don't really have a preference, all countries are near France so it won't affect my ping... But maybe we should bear in mind that the server is not always as populated as the last couple of weeks?
    And thanks Null for the hard work!

Quote Originally Posted by Ansob View Post
    I don't see the point in running two instances of Arma on the same box, Null.
    Folk has strict requirements regarding addons. We do not and occasionally throw in Fallujah, i44, whatever. I can't make the server hotswap between these settings because of the way mods work - they're either on the server and running or not present at all. So two instances would be better, even if we were to schedule things such that only one instance at a time is running. I'm gathering some usage stats to see if that's necessary.

Of course, we need to see how well the networking and disk IOs hold up against two instances running at once. The CPU usage seems pretty reasonable though. I can also set core affinities if I need to.

I think we'd be much better off just getting a server big enough for both Folk and ourselves, and just play together from now on, funding it 50/50. There's already a good amount of crossover and it would possibly save us some money and would mean we can get a server that performs better.
    50/50 isn't possible, we outnumber Folk at the minute. If we were to match what they can offer, we'd actually have less money than we already do (but have a nice savings account, obviously). We'd still be able to afford Hetzner or Kimsufi servers. If we maximise both our budgets, we'd have ~120/month. Which is more than any of the servers I have bothered to price up so far.

I haven't yet thought about how to build up slack. It'd require discussion with Fer, but we could ask them to contribute their maximum (they can only do monthly commitments right now) on the assumption it goes into the treasury, against continuing to rent the server. Proportional refund on ponzi scheme collapse.

The Free Test Server is actually pretty damn powerful (i5-2400 sandybridge), and you'd be looking at either hexacores (i7-980), the 2500/2600 series, or dual Xeons to beat it. Which is part of the reason I wanted to test it :D

... and that we be able to put up other servers for stuff like KF, Brink, etc. - whatever we're playing basically.
    This is much easier under Windows, which incurs an additional expense. We can *probably* afford it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Would love to come and repeatedly die in a couple of matches with the RPS community I just need to find somewhere that has CO for a reasonable price.

If anyone has used this service could you please tell me whether or not it is any good/reliable?
    http://www.sprocketidea.com/joomla/i...hk=1&Itemid=57
    Yes. SprocketIdea is run by the devs, and my copy of Arrowhead comes from there.

My problem has been isolated and rectified, with many thanks to Null for finally nailing it down. Turns out it was a known issue with Linux DS, and something called the Maximum Transmittable Unit (or MTU), incase anyone else comes upon this problem.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18007

I tweaked the MTU settings on my end, and Null tweaked/fixed the settings on the server, and I'm now able to join/vote/download and play the missions that were causing problems.

Turns out I did come across the solution yesterday, mentioned in a couple of forum threads... but I'd said to myself that if I had to learn enough to start my own ISP, then I wasn't going to bother. In the end, it didn't involve that much work though.

Righty-ho, does the golden yacht need some extra bullion? I think I'll leave the choice of what box to choose, but I'll gladly stump up some more lucre if it's required.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph-Sulphur View Post
    Righty-ho, does the golden yacht need some extra bullion? I think I'll leave the choice of what box to choose, but I'll gladly stump up some more lucre if it's required.
    It's not, really. The question is more which provider we go with, not whether we can afford it. There are a full four or five months until the agents will be sent around again.

I'm trapping some rather detailed usage statistics from the server, which should make for some fun graphs. Linux: tricky, but powerful.

So I guess the question is whether you can tame linux. You do have a few more days to see if you can whip it into submission though.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

I spoke to Fer a couple of days ago, and he said the only reason that they don't allow Mods, is to make sure that no one uses ACE. So we could just have a groundrule of 'No ACE'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    Also, not having to listen to any of you jabber was blissful tonight. Xenu Squad Best Squad.
    Dammit! I was on Xenu's squad, and would have been there to bask in the glorious silence as well, if I'd been able to connect. Keep me a slot for next time. Or, we could just organise our own old-man, quiet squad.