Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Is Operation Arrowhead worth picking up then? Only just got my system up and running again after some hardware issues and was looking to get back into ARMA2.

Operation Arrowhead is, I think, the minimum that we play with. Much better would be ArmA2 and Operation Arrowhead, installed on the same machine and loaded together in what is known as Combined Ops. I'd say getting a combined ops install is definitely worth it... just for the full range of our multiplayering.

Activated Node
    Aye I already have ARMA2 so would just need the addon. Anywhere to pick it up cheap or do I need to get it through Steam?

I think, but I'm not certain, that anywere you can find it for cheap should be good. I picked up all of mine on STEAM during sales, so I have everything together and haven't had to do anything as far as command lines and launchers go to get everything working properly. When you install Operation Arrowhead, I think, you 'tell it' about your ArmA2 install, then run OA (as combined Ops loading all the ArmA2 stuff), or you get a launcher program that does it for you. But, I don't think there is any problem with having ArmA2 from one place and OA from somewere else.

Someone who has maybe got CO working this way could probably tell you more definitely though.

If you have A2 on Steam, you can actually copy and paste it from the steamapps dir to another place on your HDD for manual patching. There might be a slight registry tweak involved, but A2 is surprisingly free of registry entries. Just the CD key and install dir if memory serves. You can then install OA into the same directory, if you bought it from somewhere else.

If you buy OA from Steam and have A2 on steam, after you've run A2 once OA should launch as Combined Ops (or at least load the A2 content whenever you run the game).

If you buy OA from Steam and have A2 from somewhere else, things get a little more tricky, and I'd have to dig up some posts from somewhere else to help you out. I think you can copy and paste stuff into the A2 dir, but I'm not completely certain. You'd also have to do the registry fix.

Gamestracker says that the expansion can be had for as little as £12.85 at retail, or if you prefer a digital download you can go to SprocketIdea, the store owned by the devs and get it for £13.30. I myself have retail A2 and Sprocket OA, and it works perfectly. The Sprocket version is literally a copy of the files on the installation DVD, plus a CD key. No mounting, custom installers, custom downloaders, etc. required.

WARNING:
    If you buy the game on Steam, whenever a patch is released steam will redownload the entire game! If you have limited bandwidth, and don't want to bother manually moving the files out of the Steam directory you may wish to avoid Steam!
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 04-06-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Activated Node
    I have A2 from Steam at the moment. Might just wait to see if it pops up in a Steam sale anytime soon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    There are several arma 2 launchers that turn the whole CO thing into a cakewalk.

I prefer the one made by Spirited Machine. You simply tell it the exes' locations, check "launch combined ops" and you're good to go. It comes with more nifty features and stable addon-support.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 04-06-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    There are several arma 2 launchers that turn the whole CO thing into a cakewalk.
    Or you could just install OA into your A2 directory and presto! Instant CO!

Also: so, about that I44 campaign... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ansob View Post
    Or you could just install OA into your A2 directory and presto! Instant CO!
    But you still have to write modlines for addons and maps, wheras launchers will do it for you!

My Steam copy of OA gives me the option to launch Combined Operations when I start it, and it works fine with my disk copy of ArmA 2.
    Last edited by egg651; 04-06-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by egg651 View Post
    My Steam copy of OA gives me the option to launch Combined Operations when I start it, and it works fine with my disk copy of ArmA 2.
    I get that option as well, with my Steam copy of OA... but I have a Steam copy of ArmA2 as well. If it works for a Steam copy of OA and 'other' copy of ArmA2, that should make things somewhat simpler for some folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansob View Post
    Also: so, about that I44 campaign... :P
    Finally done with all them major papers and essays! It's not forgotten, it'll be on soon enough. Not exactly sure when though... The first mission is probably 50-60% done (had a fit and remade it - now with somewhat historical accuracy!). On a side note, very interesting battle that, in Hürtgen. Been reading up on it and watched a horrendously bad movie aboot it. Recommended reading material for the bored and bewildered.

By the way - Null, this might be useful for your already incredibly informative forst post:

Network Hub
    sexeh times egg.

Quote Originally Posted by washington View Post
    Finally done with all them major papers and essays! It's not forgotten, it'll be on soon enough. Not exactly sure when though... The first mission is probably 50-60% done (had a fit and remade it - now with somewhat historical accuracy!). On a side note, very interesting battle that, in Hürtgen. Been reading up on it and watched a horrendously bad movie aboot it. Recommended reading material for the bored and bewildered.
    Awesome! :D Glad to see its still in the pipeline.

Am I still in charge?
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph-Sulphur View Post
    Am I still in charge?
    Well, due to the campaign's increased historical accuracy, you'll be required to change your name to Richard Winters, but if you comply, yes!

Right, just wondered if anyone uses the "Copy my stance" mod? I'm trying to get it to work and it's doing my head in. I install it right, but when I start it says it requires "Extended event handlers". I installed that, then it asks for "CAWeapons_3". Trying to find that with no luck. Is this an endless loop?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangLove View Post
    Well, due to the campaign's increased historical accuracy, you'll be required to change your name to Richard Winters, but if you comply, yes!
    and we have enough Germans for adversarial games. /bad joke

Right, just wondered if anyone uses the "Copy my stance" mod? I'm trying to get it to work and it's doing my head in. I install it right, but when I start it says it requires "Extended event handlers". I installed that, then it asks for "CAWeapons_3". Trying to find that with no luck. Is this an endless loop?
    do you have the Community Base Addons installed?

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeTheMonkey View Post
    "CAWeapons_3"
    Do you have combined ops/a combination of OA and A2? It's just that every time someone trys to connect to a CO mission without A2 it flashes a message about CAweapons_1/2/3.