Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Comrades, a reminder that there will be a Folk session as usual tonight (Sunday 19 June) at 19:30 UK (20:30 Central European). Details of the game and TS3 servers can be found in the OP. Please remember that you have to be running vanilla CO, or the approved versions of STHUD and CBA. If in doubt, please connect to the server before the session to verify your setup.

Tonight we shall be providing 30% more death, 100% more opportunities to crew some Shilkas, and 25% more 1980s visuals. Not one step back, comrades, not one step back!

Obscure Node
    Hey guys,

sorry I couldn't join yesterday, there was some spontaneous drinking interferring with my evening plans. Can't wait to jump on board and play a bunch of rounds with you, though! Thanks for all the help, I've got all the recommended mods installed and working now!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliosicle View Post
    When I asked if I could use the a-10 people were just dismissive of it, I'm not much of an infantry combat guy I'm sorry I prefer flying.
    There are plenty of Single player missions with the A-10 available. No one would be dismissive of you playing them.

ARMA is getting far too serious, so I'll probably take a break and go play something else. I'll be on occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    There are plenty of Single player missions with the A-10 available. No one would be dismissive of you playing them.
    No, stop being mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    No, stop being mean.
    I wasn't being mean. If you're playing a Single-player mission, you can do what you want... there is no one going to say "stop that, and come and do this". If you're playing on a Multi-player server, with multiple people on, you have to rein in your 'playing' somewhat, and play closer to an accepted and expected role. If the majority of the server didn't want him to fly the A-10, for whatever reason, then I don't think he should have been flying it.

I wasn't being mean. If you're playing a Single-player mission, you can do what you want... there is no one going to say "stop that, and come and do this". If you're playing on a Multi-player server, with multiple people on, you have to rein in your 'playing' somewhat, and play closer to an accepted and expected role. If the majority of the server didn't want him to fly the A-10, for whatever reason, then I don't think he should have been flying it.

On TT, FS sure! But I think what Helios was trying was say was that on saturdays it shouldn't be so the commander's telling him he can't do something - there shouldn't be that level of control.

It wasn't that they didn't want me flying it (to my knowledge), no one did anything about it. Not many people are overbearing enough to just say "no you have to do what everyone else does". The "special" roles seem to be fixed to specific people - for example (but not the only case) bob almost always flies the a-10, I know he customised the mission but its still a bit of a fixed role from what I've seen. It seems like people are getting stuck in a rut of "this is how it should be". Maybe mix stuff up a bit?

Bob often flies the A-10 when he plays. He goes many, many months without because he quickly tires of some behaviours that the admin team has recently taken a stand against for organised events. When he does join in and fly he tends to a) do a very good job of it b) not hog it every god damn night like people used to before he locked all vehicles by default and c) rarely, if ever, gets shot down. If you've not played much recently and are coincidentally turning up at the same time as Bob, then that's simply bad timing. If you ask to fly the A-10 and someone outright says no, repeatedly, THEN we're in a rut.

Last night Bob fixed up a new version of Domi based upon people's bitching/requests. Against his better judgement he left in some features that act as a lightning rod for stupid play, so he wanted to run a semi-organised testing session as admin. People were around and joined in and many even said that it was 'serious saturday' (who comes up with this stuff?).

Personally, as long as Tuesdays and the join sessions with folk on Sundays are organised and thoughtful, I don't really care what goes on. I also mention the last saturday of every month as an announced event in the opening post of the thread. I'm hoping to kick off that tradition later this month as another semi-organised event.

If people want to designate a day for only sandbox/freeform/'silly' play, then come to a consensus and I'll add it to the OP.

No need to get excited about last night. Bob didn't make clear what level of organisation he wanted, personally I got a bit confused. You didn't get to fly the A-10 one bleedin' night, its hardly the end of the world.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    If people want to designate a day for only sandbox/freeform/'silly' play, then come to a consensus and I'll add it to the OP.
    Saturday - Ensures that lots of people are able to play, as well as the fact that it's always worked out very well before.

It doesn't even have to be 'silly Saturday', just relaxed enough that it doesn't matter if we don't have whisper lists, and there's enough freedom to say 'Let's try this new tactic for a bit'

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph-Sulphur View Post
    No need to get excited about last night. Bob didn't make clear what level of organisation he wanted, personally I got a bit confused. You didn't get to fly the A-10 one bleedin' night, its hardly the end of the world.
    Yeah - I wasn't aware of what OMB wanted, mainly I think because we had just come out of a sandbox warfare mission, and were just messing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph-Sulphur View Post
    I never said it was the end of the world, I don't fly an awful lot, maybe a bit more than other people but that's it. I don't get why everyone gets snooty about someone wanting to do something a bit different, all I ever get from people is hostility and sarcasm. The thing that got me a bit riled was that when I asked at the start I was told that no one was logged in as admin so no, however 10 minutes later when dvorak asked to it was unlocked for him?
    Last edited by Heliosicle; 19-06-2011 at 07:52 PM.

On last night: I should have been more specific what I was looking for. I wanted to see how the Bradleys affected what is supposed to be a very infantry-centric mission, but didn't really get an opportunity to do so. As soon as it was clear the mission was going to shit I allowed Dvorak to have the A10 - I hadn't heard any requests for it up to that point, although before the first town I had no intention of unlocking it.

On Domination in general: Locking the vehicles provides us with a compromise between a completely sterile version with no armoured/air/rotary support; and one where everyone makes a beeline for the big toys so they have a chance of actually shooting something that session. It also creates a sort of value to the toys: If you break it, you're not going to get it back until an admin unlocks it again. It also allows admins to use their discretion in giving toys to those who are going to use them in a way that doesn't utterly destroy the mission for everyone else playing.

The reason I took on the role of Domination editor was because I like large-scale missions featuring cooperation and combined arms. Making one from scratch to do this is pretty hard, so I decided to use the Domination framework. I made the mission how I enjoy playing it (as well as fixing a few bugs along the way), and since I can't rely on people to police themselves and use the support in a considerate manner, I enforce certain aspects of teamplay where I can - because I know other people also don't enjoy being transported across Takistan to clear up the 4 guys the A10 and Apache crew have left unscathed.

If you wish to make a version of Domination that doesn't have these restrictions, you're welcome to do so. The compiler is available here: http://www.ranthold.com/dom_maker_new.rar (that's the latest n11.5 version that we played last night, including all my fixes and changes to date, courtesy of Nullkigan). I suggest looking around the BIS wiki and forums - Domination is a popular public mission, there's plenty of info on modifying the various aspects of it. If you can't figure it out yourself, frankly I don't want you using heavy weaponry anywhere near me.
    Last edited by oldmanbob; 19-06-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    But why can't we find some solutions for all the above?

Like designating a 'silly night'? Having for example Thursdays as Domi night, where we can be as silly or serious as we like (depending on who shows up)? Or people who want to mess about all join one squad? (although that could still mess up the game for people who want to take it more seriously).

Or people who would like to fly but are not that good (I don't mean you Helios) could have some kind of relaxed training session? (Provided there experienced people with the time and patience to teach them) And then get some real practice during missions? I don't mind people crashing etc, personally I don't like flying but I can see the appeal.

I would just like to keep this serious/silly balance the server had up to now, without spoiling it for anyone and I am sure there are solutions (for example I prefer more silent squads so I try to join one with certain people but it's not the end of the world if people talk as well).

Last night was generally confusing for me, as it was not clear if we re messing about or not, but it happens and I m sure we can all deal with one bad night without resorting to arguing or blaming the admins (who already do a lot of work so we can play)?? Also First!
    Last edited by kataras; 19-06-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Once again, thank you to all ARPS comrades who came along to tonight's Folk session. Cross-posting from the relevant AAR thread in the Folk forum:

Missions:
    • Ivory Hunt
    • Warlords #1
    • Warlords #2
    • Flask
    • Fritz Frenzy

For the second session in a row we used the K19 server, and again enjoyed an excellent playercount that allowed us to play some adversarial missions. We also managed to do pretty damn well at the coops. Despite our CO falling off a roof in Ivory Hunt we cooked the enemy tank, and the bloodbath I had planned for you all in Flask came to pass ... except it was the enemy that got blood .. er .. bathed. Well done to comrade Ian and all others who stepped up and took leadership positions for the first time tonight.

The commissars are on their way to the bureau of mission engineering now. :commissar:

Apologies for the minor SNAFU with the second run-through of Warlords, but we'll get that fixed. It's great fun hiding in the town and waiting for BLUFOR to arrive and helpfully run into our bullets!
    Last edited by fer; 19-06-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kataras View Post
    Like designating a 'silly night'? Having for example Thursdays as Domi night, where we can be as silly or serious as we like (depending on who shows up)? Or people who want to mess about all join one squad? (although that could still mess up the game for people who want to take it more seriously).

Or people who would like to fly but are not that good (I don't mean you Helios) could have some kind of relaxed training session? (Provided there experienced people with the time and patience to teach them) And then get some real practice during missions? I don't mind people crashing etc, personally I don't like flying but I can see the appeal.

I would just like to keep this serious/silly balance the server had up to now, without spoiling it for anyone and I am sure there are solutions (for example I prefer more silent squads so I try to join one with certain people but it's not the end of the world if people talk as well).
    I think the issue is that Saturdays were unofficially silly and admins tend towards serious because I don't trust anyone under fifty with a sense of humour. As this may clash one night a month, moving "Silly night" to Thursdays may be a good plan, so it's EVERY THURSDAY EVER with no ifs or buts. Of course, this means I won't be playing on Thursdays very often. Every night except Tuesday is open to what the players want to do (and tuesdays are still pretty open, so long as you try to stay organised and communicate effectively), I think it's just that recently the people I've given the admin password to want to try something a little more structured.

I don't think anyone minds too much if someone who is bad at flying pilots for a while - I'm fairly terrible but I've done it several times in the past few weeks (and got shot down each time). It's not so much the being 'bad' at using the toys that is objectionable. It's the wanton waste, losing the toy several times over yet still getting much more action than the poor bastards on the ground, especially when coupled with respawn. This is why Bob has locked the toys in Domi - you get a turn, then the admin lets someone ELSE have a turn. The game may simulate 'combined arms' but 'combined arms' is no fun for the infantry :)

Whilst training sessions might appeal to new players, I really think it's making a mountain out of a molehill because we won't hate you if you crash. Unless you're Alex Bakke, who seems to do it on purpose. If someone really wants to practice flying online, they can simply jump on the server and start a mission with aircraft. If nobody is around, they can't complain at all when you crash :D
    (Note: to do this with domi, you probably need to #vote admin your_own_nickname)

Network Hub
    I'm always afraid of the shutdown command.
    Does it do to the server what I think it does when I voted myself as admin?

Dunno, never used it. Probably? But the server should come back up automatically because it's in an autorestart wrapper.

Network Hub
    I set up my own linux dedicated server on one of my testboxes. I'll try it out later.