Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1260
    Network Hub
    Just posting to confirm i want to play I44 ;D

I nominate VULFENSCHWALBE for wolfenswan's nickname.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

I nominate Egg for the name of 'Biggles'

Quote Originally Posted by StrangLove View Post
    I nominate Egg for the name of 'Biggles'

Campaign? I would love to play, but quite busy at the moment and worried I'd have to drop out. What dates are people saying?

Cross-posting:
    Missions:
    • Halted
    • Cordonblufor
    • Highway to Jahannam
    • Ivory Hunt

Not quite the session I had planned - I apologise for not getting the Folk take on Domi put together, but it's been a supremely busy week. We had a great turn-out (again), and managed to complete 50% of missions this evening. Thank you to all the comrades who came - I hope you'll agree that it's great to be able to throw 3 fireteams and several attachments at a mission (in addition to the command element and at least one medic), so let's keep working on the playercount. Personal AAR to follow as soon as I've had a chance to type one out on a bouncy Metropolitan line train. Well, not on the train itself. Because that would be graffiti.

:colbert:

Q1: Would it be useful for me to try and create an RPS-Folk shared MPMissions dir? I *think* A2 will read subfolders, so I can have both instances access a subdir and hopefully retain their individual lists as well. Would help for Reach Zone/Janna/Valkyries/Domi.

Q2: Any smart ideas on how to remind myself to constantly shout FORWARDS when my glorious plans stall? Was slightly annoyed that my fireteams tried to dig in whilst surrounded instead of punching through in Croydon Blues. Nobody (including myself) even had the initiative to demand smoke until the very end :(
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    Q1: Would it be useful for me to try and create an RPS-Folk shared MPMissions dir? I *think* A2 will read subfolders, so I can have both instances access a subdir and hopefully retain their individual lists as well. Would help for Reach Zone/Janna/Valkyries/Domi.
    That'd be great. We have quite a few shared missions these days. Also, can I have FTP access? I pinky promise I'll add version numbers.

Q2: Any smart ideas on how to remind myself to constantly shout FORWARDS when my glorious plans stall? Was slightly annoyed that my fireteams tried to dig in whilst surrounded instead of punching through in Croydon Blues. Nobody (including myself) even had the initiative to demand smoke until the very end :(
    Sometimes (most of the time) our plans go to shit. Mostly what I do is try and make it clear that I want things to keep moving. In extreme situations I favour the tactic of Comrades Fer and Wolfenswan, which is to order all survivors to get off their belt-buckles and chaaaaaaarge!
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

I think part of the problem was that A1 got shot at and nearly annihilated early on, and then those that came to help us were similarly shot up. Hard to push forwards when half you're team is dead and half of those who remain are incapacitated.

So, not really a problem with immediate leadership, just bullets.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Found this.

We will most likely not use it - but atleast there is an option.

Network Hub
    I spent most of that mission dragging my FTL back around a corner and first aiding him after he got shot. After being shot three times his legs stopped working so he ordered me to leave, I said I'd stay and cover (the rest of the squad were dead) so he boldly crawled back to where he'd originally been shot, around the same corner and unsurprisingly was shot again. Finally regaining the ability to carry him (when he was down and crawling I could only drag) I hefted him up and called for assistance.

Draakon the medic arrives moments later... and got shot! I placed my FTL down to go and help.. and I was shot. Fatally. What a mess!

I knew I should have followed my own advice and gone native.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    How about 3 squads FTL, Rifle, Rifle, SMG, AR, AT
    + Support Squad FTL, MG, Heavy AT (or 2 MGs)
    + CO Squad CO, DC, Medic
    I prefer having dedicated squads, rather than 3 intechangable ones. So an assault squad would have a few more carbines and smgs, the rifle squad more rifles and a BAR, the support squad an MG. That way the command and those in the squad have specific duties, rather than all squads being jack of all trades.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think the problem was that me and Draakon spent a lot of time dragging and healing people, everytime someone would get up, someone else would get shot. At the same time it wasn't clear (to me at least) where we re being fired from, so I was hesitant (for a change) to run out and into the next building. But yes we should have thought about smoke a lot earlier, you re right.

Nice thought, but I'd prefer we didn't - different naming conventions, and often different 'edits' to reflect the different approaches taken by the ARPS/Folk sessions. We have a documented approach to naming Folk missions and recording them in the appropriate thread, and I'd like us to stick to that.

Quite often we stall because of how we deal with our wounded: it's too often the case that a single man down in a fireteam absorbs the attention of at least two others. In most cases you'll help the wounded more by winning the firefight quickly, so I suggest we place more trust in the medics. If you're an FTL this means you need to take the lead; when you have wounded:

- If necessary, pop smoke to cover the wounded
    - At the same time focus your remaining troops on returning fire
    - Mark on the map and call it in so the medics know where to go
    - Get back to dealing with the immediate threat (you're shielding the medics that way too)

Since we play as infantry 90% of the time, it's not a disaster if a 3-man FT has to move on whilst a man is being treated. There will always be an opportunity to catch-up, so if the CO has stressed the importance of momentum, don't let a real 25% loss stall 100% of your troops.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Reach Zone (old version)

Splat.

Halted

I was CO and had baaaad memories from trying this mission on a ARPS session. So i ordered Bravo and Alpha to form a defensive line while Charlie & Delta flank the respective sides. We apparently lost most of Bravo in the initial onslaught yet we proved to be scarily effective, taking out most if not all of the enemy.

Highway to Jahannam

MMG-1
    The first proper attempt at the mission played out as I imagined but the enemy still got the better out of us.

Missionmaker's thoughts:
    - Less enemies on the way to the first town (we had used most of the technical's ammo by then already and lost a few good people) aka make the first town the first real challenge.
    - maybe add a (stationary, no fuel) ammo/repair truck somewhere
    - remove the armored columns, allowing the player's their own pace (which seemed to work better)
    - apparently friendly AI in Gorka had gone rogue and somehow engaged enemy AI, causing a trigger to fire. no idea how that could happen but I'll try and make it more robust.

Ivory Hunt

If my less than par performance in previous missions had anyone questioning my Comrade Hero Status then this silenced them.

I was harakka's MG goon, tasked to look after his weapon and rip it from his cold dead hands should the opportunity/dire need arise.
    Being the nice guy I am I wanted Bravo help to carry the static dhskm, dissambeled it and picked up the main bag while I saw Fer picking up the tripod. OR SO I THOUGHT. I don't know what happened, but I think Fer confused said Tripod with the Metis' Tripod and happily made away with it into the night, while I buggered Bravo where the fuck that bag had gone. At the end we were lucky enough that the TK army's equipment is made for the crafty guerilla and I was able to assemble the dhskm from it's main bag and the Metis tripod. Take that MacGyver.

Anyway, I helped engaging the first hummers, mercilessly cutting down anyone who tried to escape. Knowing that a little bird would soon be upon us I started scanning the sky. I could hear it coming closer but was unable to spot it. It dawned me the last second that I may have prioritzed me as a static target when the bastard came flying towards me, misfiring it's rockets mere meters too short. I left the dhskm were it was, set out to help my FTL and hastily left the roof again when I realized that the tusk was around (as documented in the video above). Knowing I would be of low use to the cause I set out to scavenge any AT possible and found a single MAAWS AT (and two HEDPs) on two american corpses.

Trying to get behind the Tusk it spotted me first and pinned me down in a building (you can hear me proclaiming nasty words at that point in mentioned video) but then I got behind it and took the shots. I killed myself with the too close exploding warheads but shit was personal at that point and I couldn't have cared less.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 08-11-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fer View Post
    don't let a real 25% loss stall 100% of your troops.
    This is wisdom.
    Way too common scenario is to either get shot while dragging a buddy to cover for healing, or get shot while healing the buddy with 1 to n people. If your buddy got shot at a reasonable engagement distance, that means you'll probably get shot too unless you leave the wounded behind for now, and deal with the immediate threat first.
    Also, by advancing you'll hopefully move the front toward the enemy and away from the wounded, leaving a safer area for the medics to move in.
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

Network Hub
    Sorry I wasn't around for the session last night, things turned up.

Hasn't the version of Reach Zone been updated on Folk server? /Facepalm

I will go and do it now.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodge View Post
    Sorry I wasn't around for the session last night, things turned up.

Hasn't the version of Reach Zone been updated on Folk server? /Facepalm

I will go and do it now.
    It was worth it for the "anyone else not have a chute?" message.

Network Hub
    We will have a working session of this at some point, honest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    - Get back to dealing with the immediate threat (you're shielding the medics that way too)
    I distinctly recall the mountain top patrol mission - the one where I was the medic, and yet got most of the kills. I got almost all of those kills by providing covering fire for someone of a fireteam who was dragging a wounded man into a safe spot for me to heal.
    (and also by covering the completely exposed left flank)