Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    It's funny you should say that, as the current immense piles of mortar ammunition were implemented because people were sick of running out...
    Quick psychology question here.
    Would that change if the Mortar was salvaged from an enemy position?

Mabe adding a mortar stryker, with much more limited ammo, as well as the bradleys could prevent massive mortar overkill. Just having 12 rounds of Mortar ammo for the entire mission essentially makes the mortars useless, as they do need to be guided onto the target and first round hits on vehicles and infantry formations are rare unless marked accurately. As it is, I think we need to either replace the Mortar entirely with mechanised support, or reduce the ammo moderately, so instead of 100x8 rounds we have 10x8 rounds, or stick in a mortar stryker with lower ammo to keep up with the bradleys and infantry.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Maybe use the mortar for single barrages only, followed by an immediate infantry push?

Making the whole team motorized sounds good too.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    It renders the infantry work really boring in other sessions I've played - you spend all that time getting there, and all you find are maybe two or three enemy, who are picked off by the spotter before you can even catch your breath.
    I did mention yesterday that Alpha squad were both times told to follow Bravo, who went ahead and did most fighting, with Charlie doing everything else. I mostly saw dead bodies the whole time, but my remark about this was responded to basically by "Oh its because Bravo are amazing haha".

One example: We spotted a BMP behind us, I move to engage (as the AT guy) and the Tusk comes tearing back to deal with it (from the front line), leaving me to watch. I get back to the attack and the tusk has beaten me to it, with Bravo squad flushing the village.

The adversarial missions were really fun and I dont think that the rest of my squad felt this way, but I felt a bit like it was Bravo+Charlie against the mission with me doing a dead body viewing simulator. I wasnt happy about how my concerns were treated by certain people either (basically I was ignored or laughed off.)

This post is a bit overly-negative as this wasnt reflective of the night at all really, just my experiences with Domi. I still had fun. The sabotage mission was great to try out from the saboteurs perspective. Apologies for my flying and deciding to turn off my engine mid hover in Jolly Green too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    One example: We spotted a BMP behind us, I move to engage (as the AT guy) and the Tusk comes tearing back to deal with it (from the front line), leaving me to watch. I get back to the attack and the tusk has beaten me to it, with Bravo squad flushing the village.
    Sorry for stealing the kill from you; the BMP was danger close to astute and me and asking the TUSK to rush back to assist seemed the best option for me as i was unsure if you'd make it in time.

I agree with the general flow of the mission not being too action-rich for alpha (possibly both squads due to mortar shelling). Attacking with separate squads from two sides might have been the better option in terms of play fun.

Making the infantry more mechanized would work a lot better than removing the mortars from charlie, I think. That way we could do a quick barrage, taking out key targets, and then rushing in with IFVs before the enemy has time to recover. After that, both the IFVs and the mortars could provide support, the IFVs by generally blowing things up, and the mortars by doing precision strikes on targets called out by the infantry on the ground.

Also, different approaches for the infantry would help with making it more action-rich, since both squads would have to deal with their own problems. This would also help with the intersquad comms, since we wouldn't need as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    It's funny you should say that, as the current immense piles of mortar ammunition were implemented because people were sick of running out...
    I'm the guy who giggles at taking an MLRS and an ammo truck and levelling literally every village on the map.

I also recognise that what is fun for me (killing everything) makes the game terrible for everyone else.

Limitless ammo for the mortar squad is one of those things.

e;
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangLove View Post
    they do need to be guided onto the target and first round hits on vehicles and infantry formations are rare unless marked accurately.
    Well, yes. That's rather the point. :P

e2; Bakke, links to those explosion and sound mods, please.
    Last edited by Ansob; 08-06-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Just got SThud, st movement and noblur from the first post. They look really good. Will have to try them out with an arma session soon.

Is Invasion 44 and noblur compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by Ansob View Post
    I'm the guy who giggles at taking an MLRS and an ammo truck and levelling literally every village on the map.
    I think that was my first important role in ARPS, on the first gaming night I attended. Good times...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I think that was my first important role in ARPS, on the first gaming night I attended. Good times...
    It was quite unusual behaviour for a hostage, though.

I have been trying to get some practice in at anti-tank stuff, but honestly, 9 times out of 10 some other bastard or five will fire from 800m away as soon as I get a shot lined up. The other time, I'll get the hit (or a passing fly will detonate the rocket early) and then be torn to shreds before I can leg it. Woe.

Sinister, I was talking about levelling a town in an MLRS, although it was less fun than the hostage night...

Ok, so.

____

First thing - Ice, this is the second (or third) time you've managed to ruin Escape. I don't care if you had tried to stop killing me, it still ruined the experience. Sort it out, or I'll just have a general rule of not playing with you anymore.

____

Second thing - That was one of the most enjoyable nights I've had with Domi, due to how coordinated, disciplined, and yet, fun it was.

HOWEVER - there were lots of improvements I felt were needed:

____

- The mortar completely ruined things. The point of the mortar is to be called in for specific targets - So, for the infantry on the ground to spot, observe, and call in a strike on a target, making adjustments to the zone of impact.

The problem wasn't that Charlie had plenty of ammunition for the mortar, and plenty of rockets. The problem, was that Charlie were like a dog that had been let off its leash; they were running wild around the map, taking out all targets before we could get there, so that when Bravo and Alpha moved in, we had to deal with about 10 insurgents per town, with maybe a helicopter or two.

I was under the impression that Charlie were supposed to be a squad that would be called in to deal with certain things, not just the squad that would get all the toys and then be unleashed. Sure, an Abrams and a Linebacker were sent in near the end, but all they did was shoot down some helos, and take out about 5 infantry because everything else was dead, leaving Charlie with ~150 kills, and Bravo with ~20. I cannot account for Alpha's kills.

So perhaps in the next domi we play, we could have Charlie sitting back, and waiting for an FO from Charlie attached to another squad, calling in strikes on a target, like a mosque, or tank (Edit: That the current troops are having difficulty with); otherwise, it's no fun for the footsloggers.

____

- I feel that Bravo and Alpha were too close together; whether that's a symptom of poor squad management (Which I don't think is the issue) or poor planning, we were overlapping most times, with Alpha just following Bravo, not really getting involved. GraveyardJimmy has suggested that Bravo and Alpha take separate choppers, possibly Black Hawks, and assault from different locations. Otherwise there's a risk of one squad sitting out. If there hadn't been a mortar squad however, then there may have been more for Alpha to kill, and they wouldn't have felt so left out - Not sure.

But an alternate approach by one of the squads would have been fun, and supertactical etc. There were enough people in each squad to hold our own against whoever's in the town, so I think it could work. Possibly even moreso if we adapt the mechanised inf. role that Ansob and a few others were talking about.

____

- There was no point having a designated marksmen in the squad, as we didn't have the DMR which gives increased zoom. The rifles we could use didn't zero to a high enough distance for the DM role to be worth it. If we had DMRs or M24s, then happy days.

- Not having a dedicated AA trooper really punished us at the beginning, with the Mi-24 and the Su-25. We were only saved really, by Joseph being lucky enough to spawn in just after it killed a load of us, so he could pick up a Stinger and try to take it out.

- AT troopers were completely (In Bravo's team at least; Alpha did have a use for it, but the Abrams killed the target first.) redundant. A complete lack of intact targets meant that it was just a better option for me to fire off MAAWS rockets at Helos.

____

Ansob: I use WarFX: Blastcore, and VOPsounds.

Blastcore - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12975

VOPsounds - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5885

Although with VOPsounds, it doesn't have that much for OA. GraveyardJimmy recommended JSRS, so I'll czech that out.

____

Re: Adversarial T-55 mission

Sorry that we went past the boundary, but don't get mad at us - it was marked incorrectly.
    Last edited by Alex Bakke; 08-06-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    - The mortar completely ruined things. The point of the mortar is to be called in for specific targets - So, for the infantry on the ground to spot, observe, and call in a strike on a target, making adjustments to the zone of impact.

The problem wasn't that Charlie had plenty of ammunition for the mortar, and plenty of rockets. The problem, was that Charlie were like a dog that had been let off its leash; they were running wild around the map, taking out all targets before we could get there, so that when Bravo and Alpha moved in, we had to deal with about 10 insurgents per town, with maybe a helicopter or two.
    I was given specific instructions by Liqourish, from Ice, to engage any and all targets that would present a threat to troops on the ground.

I was given specific instructions by Liqourish, from Ice, to engage any and all targets that would present a threat to troops on the ground.
    So you were let off the leash, which was my point. That's not how a special weapons team should work.

Quote Originally Posted by GraveyardJimmy View Post
    to be fair Jimmy, we were asked to come back by your squad leader. And on your point about Bravo being in front - we just got to places before you, the 2 missions were almost completely clear by the time we got there thanks to the mortar fire, we only saw a bit more combat than you.

There's got to be some threat to troops on the ground or its no fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Heliosicle View Post
    to be fair Jimmy, we were asked to come back by your squad leader.
    Separate whisper lists meant I didn't know this. It was pretty annoying to be trying to do my AT role as Alpha seemed to be rear guard to see everything get one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliosicle View Post
    And on your point about Bravo being in front - we just got to places before you, the 2 missions were almost completely clear by the time we got there thanks to the mortar fire, we only saw a bit more combat than you.
    Its not just you got there before us, on the first town we were told to follow and support, not go at the same time.

A note about Charlie that isn't meant to be as bitchy as it sounds- I noticed Charlie as generally made up of regulars using the big guns, isn't this what people were annoyed about on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    So you were let off the leash, which was my point. That's not how a special weapons team should work.
    I engaged stuff that my spotter marked, which seems pretty to the book. Perhaps you should inform me as to how a special weapons team is meant to work?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Sinister, I was talking about levelling a town in an MLRS, although it was less fun than the hostage night...
    You spoil all my jokes :(

I engaged stuff that my spotter marked, which seems pretty to the book. Perhaps you should inform me as to how a special weapons team is meant to work?
    You seem to be thinking that I'm blaming you - this is not the case. You did exactly as you were told. I'm saying that the current system of killing everything isn't working. Read my post if you want an idea of how I believe it's supposed to work.