Activated Node

Restoring lost files

So I was a bit of a muppet recently and managed to reformat the wrong hard drive while installing Windows 7. Nothing has been installed on it since and I've seen a few data recovery tools about but would like to know if anyone knows the best.
    saos.posterous.com for knowledge

The only one I really recall using is the imaginatively titled Get Data Back for NTFS. It's payware though, and somewhat expensive. But it worked for me, even pulled stuff out of a nuked RAID without much hassle. I don't know if you'd be able to find a decent freebie alternative - that is somewhat needle in a haystack territory and up to your google-fu.

If you did a straight quick format (as opposed to destroying the partition) this is generally on the 'easier' side of data recovery and I'd imagine there must be some tool out there fitting your needs.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Recuva is free, it's from the makers from CCleaner. Works nice. No need to pay for software that does something as basic as this.

Usually people pay for this kind of software because they deleted something they need, and they are panicking. Plenty of free alternatives...

Activated Node
    give us more info about this..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spcd View Post
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Recuva is free, it's from the makers from CCleaner. Works nice. No need to pay for software that does something as basic as this.

Usually people pay for this kind of software because they deleted something they need, and they are panicking. Plenty of free alternatives...
    Ninja'd, I was going to recommend this. A great program.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    If all you did was delete a partition and quick format, then you can almost guarantee a full recovery. A full on wipe & format though will definitely be more spotty.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Activated Node
    Yeh, it was only a quick format, recuva worked brilliantly. Recovering 500gbs of files takes a bloody long time though. Thanks everyone.
    saos.posterous.com for knowledge

Activated Node
    Good to know there is a program out there that works, Ill be bookingmarking this thread. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Recuva is really good for accidental formats - there are other tools but it does most of what they all do.