Thread: Sun storm??

Activated Node

Sun storm??

Is it kinda true that the sun storm may affect technologies, like internet?? I just heard it from my co worker , do you experiencing internet disconnection now?

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    No internet issues, but I have noticed "more crappy then usual" cell reception in some rural areas.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Sun storm at its current level mainly affects equipments outside our atmosphere as the news media informed us. Internet is run by cable, which is why it's still largely unaffected I believe?

But if you use satellite phone or watch satellite TV then those services may malfunction I assume?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    It's true that it can, but for the apocalypse-generating ones you'd need to have an uber-powerful outburst, preferably along with the loss of the earth's magnetic field... if I recall correctly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    It's true that it can, but for the apocalypse-generating ones you'd need to have an uber-powerful outburst, preferably along with the loss of the earth's magnetic field... if I recall correctly.
    Therefore for the recent polar lights which were witnessed outside of Arctic Circle are actually not good signs. But anyway I think we dont need to worry too much.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The sun cycles every 11 years, we had plenty of solar flares back in 2003ish, and we survived pretty well.

The recent one wasn't even X class (the largest), it only came in as an M9.

We've had satellites and people in space for the last 50 years without too much hassle

Seeing aurorae outside the "arctic circle" isn't really that rare - even the very weakest auroral activity would always be below the arctic circle (66.56 degrees) according to the NOAA, if the magnetic poles were aligned with the axis of rotation. As it stands, they're about 11 degrees off, with the magnetic pole being somewhere in the Canadian arctic.

Oh, and the Mayans were just counting down to the release of the Hobbit film.

</friendlylocalastrophysicist mode>

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Sun storms can also impact rabbit-ear TV antennae and satellite reception, though it tends to be pretty mild.

Activated Node
    what about the impact of the sun to your skin ??do you feel the same way like here at the Philippines?? that the sun is much hotter and at early at 7 you will feel the heat of the sun is like a fire that burns so close to your skin, it was unusual ...
    Check my Blog Site
    GAME PREVIEW!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    what about the impact of the sun to your skin ??do you feel the same way like here at the Philippines?? that the sun is much hotter and at early at 7 you will feel the heat of the sun is like a fire that burns so close to your skin, it was unusual ...
    It does not have impact on the skin as far as I know. It might jsut be a weather anomoly, or your imagination (Placebo effect), and most likely both. The radiation usually send out during a solar storm falls outside the frequencies known as the "Infrared frequency", which is what you feel as heat.

And yes, the sun storm does affect technologies because technologies rely on electricity, and sun storms tend to disrupt the usual workings (similar to those EMP cannons in various video games). However, you'd need a pretty powerfull solar wind. The heaviest the world has seen was in the 1800s, when the Aurora Borealis could be seen from Rome, and the telegraph cable between Europe and the US got fried.

But the worst problem solar flares might cause is probably the baby boom that occurs 9 months after the event.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    It does not have impact on the skin as far as I know. It might jsut be a weather anomoly, or your imagination (Placebo effect), and most likely both. The radiation usually send out during a solar storm falls outside the frequencies known as the "Infrared frequency", which is what you feel as heat.

And yes, the sun storm does affect technologies because technologies rely on electricity, and sun storms tend to disrupt the usual workings (similar to those EMP cannons in various video games). However, you'd need a pretty powerfull solar wind. The heaviest the world has seen was in the 1800s, when the Aurora Borealis could be seen from Rome, and the telegraph cable between Europe and the US got fried.

But the worst problem solar flares might cause is probably the baby boom that occurs 9 months after the event.

uh!! uh!! thanks a lot for your knowledgeable information..
    Check my Blog Site
    GAME PREVIEW!