Lesser Hivemind Node

Check your Humble Bundle account linkage to steam

My patience broke when Spacebase was on steams flash sale and having seen it on Humble Bundles store cheaper in dollars, I hoped over there and paid, when to by key page to find that the account was linked to someone elses steam account.

The account it was linked to looked a normal account apart from it hadn't been played since 30th of September and for an account thats been "7 years in service" it has very little playtime but Steams time recording isn't the best.

This happened sometime between the 21st of December which is when I last bought from Humble Bundle and everything was linked fine. I have been getting some emails from steam asking where a cd key was registered since the 24th.

My steam account is linked to a very different email address to my own and has VAC so I'm sure its ok.

I'm doing the normal changing passwords and scrambling the wards and spraying pigs blood but it just struck me, how easy it would be for me to have gifted this guy a game and not even knowing it, so check your humble account.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Nice save, I remember checking last time I bought something from Humble because it occurred to me that that account could've been compromised and the linked account changed, looks like my skepticism/paranoia has been vindicated. I'm very unsure that those words were what I meant but I went ahead and typed them anyway.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    I'm doing the normal changing passwords and scrambling the wards and spraying pigs blood but it just struck me, how easy it would be for me to have gifted this guy a game and not even knowing it, so check your humble account.
    Wait. So. What? Are you saying... You maybe gifted someone a duplicate key you had of a game purchased in a bundle. And then Humble Co. went and auto sync'd your Humble account with that person's Steam account based on the key they used?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    No, on the key page you link to your steam account. Someone had gained access to my humble account and changed the link to their steam account. I could have easily not noticed this link and redeemed my new game on his account.

He seemed to have gone through my humble account and was trying to find out what account the cd keys were redeemed to. So maybe he had access to my email address and was hoping for the email so he could reset my account.

I just put it here as a general warning as there is no email to say your steam account is unlinked or changed, and its very easily overlooked, if you use the humble store often.

Did you contact Humble's support?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yes, nothing back from them or even an acknowledgement of the email, but its the holidays.

I don't think he got anything, but I thought it was worth highlighting for the less paranoid out there that wouldn't check the linkage every time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    TY for the heads up, I despise the account link feature, get back to providing keys and go away with this web 2.0 BS.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I checked just in case and it was fine. I'm guessing/hoping your individual security was compromised Kiril, otherwise this would be a pretty big issue.

Hey Kiril, sorry to hear that. If you haven't received a reply yet, please send us a PM with your email address so we can locate your message. We experienced a mail outage in the last few days.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by humblesupportninja View Post
    Hey Kiril, sorry to hear that. If you haven't received a reply yet, please send us a PM with your email address so we can locate your message. We experienced a mail outage in the last few days.
    And please post your credit card information and password here so everyone can verify the information that you have on file.

What? That username looks legit!
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

I never liked the linking to account business. Now my paranoid rantings are finally justified. Thank god the ninjas are out to protect us.

Give me a game key to enter manually any day! Does anyone else miss typing in game keys? I do. I especially miss, in hindsight, the games that would give you multiple ones but didn't specify which ones to use at what point in the installation, I found it made the game more enjoyable when you finally got it installed. Those were the days...
    Please avoid my blog criticalchance.com at all costs. Nothing good shall come if it.

Steam

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by humblesupportninja View Post
    Ok, this is just pathetic.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

FTR Humble has introduced 2-step authentication:

http://support.humblebundle.com/cust...ticles/1412106
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Shame they won't just let us use whatever authenticator app we want. I like using my google authenticator for stuff.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wait... that's not necessarily "safe" either. "Any" being very variable. But if "oh, and Google", then that's a reasonable ask. :)

PS, I miss OpenID. :(
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.