Activated Node

To Wrack or not to Wrack?

So came across this cel-shaded shooter under Early Access:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/25...snr=1_7_15__13

Worth buying?

That's from August 2012. More recent video here. Doesn't look too bad, if doomlike FPS games are something you desperately want more of, you could certainly do worse.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    It's Early Access... sooo... no.
    More and more, I am coming to agree with this sentiment. I understand that some of these devs are just starting out, and they need money to fund game development. I get that. I would love to support them while they work on their game.

On the other hand...what keeps devs who do really well in Early Access from just...walking away. If you make enough money early on, why finish the game. It remove any incentive to deliver on promises. And lets face it, we are already seeing some Early Access titles suffering from "Perpetual Beta Syndrome." Starforge comes to mind.

So yeah...I almost bought Wrack myself. Its on my Wish List. So I can remember to purchase the game when its finished.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    It's Early Access... sooo... no.
    Yeah, I have to agree with this. A lot of the Early Access games are basically standing in for Kickstarter (or acting as a second one) with limited gameplay in the current builds and nebulous plans on what they'll end up being. And as Blackcompany said - 'perpetual beta syndrome' seems to be the new excuse for things not turning out well or not going according to 'plan'.

EDIT: On the topic of Wrack - No. I wouldn't call it Doom-like at all, it doesn't really seem to share much with classic FPS games outside of "fast movement speed" which isn't enough, and that fast movement speed looks ridiculous in levels that look to be largely claustrophobic. In the other video linked the guy is talking about DLC despite the fact the game is still in Early Access and doesn't appear conceptually complete (they shouldn't start looking at DLC until the main game is near complete). That part disturbs me - the guy talks about treating Early Access like "The game is actually coming out" yet it doesn't look close to finished, it still looks very rough from a gameplay perspective... and they're talking about DLC.
    Last edited by soldant; 09-02-2014 at 12:03 AM.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Activated Node
    Early access is one of the worst fads to appear recently. Why are all these clowns supporting is beyond me.

Just play something else unless you have an attachment to the game company.
    -=-=-= Eldevin Characters =-=-=-
    Battle Mage: Plat0nicHate (Lvl 34) | Templar: PLat0nic (Lvl 22)
    -=-=-= Stomping Eldevin n00bs since Beta =-=-=-

Network Hub
    i played maybe 2 levels years ago
    it was fun

I think it has a real chance at being the best single-player FPS, just based on how good Doom still is today

as long as the framerates/controls are solid, the actual quality of a game like this is 100% based on level design and enemy/weapon design. I wouldn't really judge those until a dev says the game is finished

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think the automatic negativity for Early Access is a bit unnecessary...

Compared to Kickstarter (where you have no guarantee of getting anything at all) there's SOMETHING behind your purchase on Early Access AND you can get an idea of how much you'll get from the Forums etc.

I generally avoid betas and alphas because I like to see the game play "as the developer intended" - I'm not interested in being a guinea pig and I don't believe that most developers really care what their testers want (they're just looking for free testing meat and the odd idea)

Saying "always avoid" is wrong - I'd say that what you need to do with Early Access is

a - ask yourself if you want a completed game - because on EA it won't be one of those
    b - remember that playing a test/alpha/beta can spoil the final game too
    c - look into the forums and other places for feedback on it's state
    d - look at how often it's updating (Steam's new "Recently Updated" thing is packed with EA titles which is nice)
    e - remember you'll be paying more than most people will pay for the finished item (with the odd exception)

and then make an informed judgement based on that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by smullyoz View Post
    Early access is one of the worst fads to appear recently. Why are all these clowns supporting is beyond me.
    KSP, Cobalt, Minecraft, Space Engineers are games that have given 100 times their cost back in fun before even going gold (before beta in some instances) IMO. Though Kinetic Void and Blockade Runner are the opposite. So I'd suggest keeping back until you see for certain the game is great, and not buying early like I did with KV and BR (I checked KSP/SE/etc before purchase with demos or gameplay videos).
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    KSP, Cobalt, Minecraft, Space Engineers are games that have given 100 times their cost back in fun before even going gold (before beta in some instances) IMO. Though Kinetic Void and Blockade Runner are the opposite. So I'd suggest keeping back until you see for certain the game is great, and not buying early like I did with KV and BR (I checked KSP/SE/etc before purchase with demos or gameplay videos).
    The biggest issue with this is that these four games you mentioned as being great examples of the system are very rare. There are 109 Steam titles on Early Access right now and most of them are likely complete garbage. And even beyond that, all of these games will release (or did release) and you'll know if you bought something that was good. Would you buy a movie by an unknown director based on a 1 minute trailer? Or would you wait for the movie to come out before hearing reviews and going to see it theaters first? Personally, I wait until the DVD releases, listen to what people think, and often watch a friend's copy before going and buying it myself.

I just don't think it's a good practice to support these projects unless you feel very strongly and trust the developer.

And also, is Space Engineers good? I hadn't heard anything about it before.

Activated Node
    Not to mention that it's very easy to just stop developing your game after you got your early access cash. Or just be lazy about it.

Like Mincraft, it's just getting shitty pointless updates and nothing substantial or core gameplay. The guy has got his millions and that's that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Minecraft
    True, although I ultimately ended up disappointed with Minecraft - the survival mode was severely gimped, with everything defeated by a short wall with a lip and a few torches. The problem with that game was they compromised Survival mode to satisfy Creative players (despite Creative mode being re-introduced specifically for them).

Though Kinetic Void and Blockade Runner are the opposite.
    Oh god, Blockade Runner. I'd forgotten I'd paid money for that. Terrible dev team, abysmal planning, no hope of releasing something halfway decent. That game had such promise. Kinetic Void I'm not sure about though, it's still pretty early days although they'd want to start releasing something impressive soon.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.