Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 286
  1. #1
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    77

    Steam will ban you and not tell you why

    3 days ago Steam banned my 250+ game/1000GBP spent account.

    They refuse to say why, apart from saying I violated the Steam Subscriber Agreement - which I read, and I haven't.

    Their notoriously bad customer service has been unhelpful, basically saying the same thing (you violated the SSA and your account won't be reinstated).

    Even if I did violate the SSA, how is it at all OK to not be clear about why you're locking someone out of their account forever? I'm not going to make a new account and buy games because it would probably just get banned as well.
    Last edited by gimperial; 01-02-2012 at 02:46 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    936
    Send in a mail saying you're going to complain to the media watchdogs, you should get a reply telling you exactly what you did within a few days, if not a complete unbanning.

    I've used it to get full refunds on game purchases, since Steam is flirting with removal of statutory rights in what they do.

    I've never heard of anyone actually being banned from Steam, though, that's just weird.

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Sounds to me like you have a fair idea why you were banned.

    But yeah, Steam is a monster and its tyranny should not go unopposed.

  4. #4
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    77
    I have 2 ideas - one is I helped some friends get cheaper games from my region (Russia). Some paid me via paypal (Steam doesn't allow this) and some via pints/beer/other games. This was strictly between friends - I didn't sell games online/ebay/on the Steam forums etc.

    In Steam Support's second reply, they specifically said it wasn't because I was gifting a lot. And if it was, why didn't I get a warning like this guy: http://i.imgur.com/ALt6b.png

    Either way, my beef with Steam Support is that they won't say why.

    My other theory is they banned me because they think I'm using a proxy to buy games at Russian prices (which I'm not, I'm actually here for another 6 months) in which case it's a false positive and I shouldn't be banned.

    The point is unless they tell me why I'm banned, I can't know if it's a false positive, and what I should/shouldn't do to not get banned in the future.

    I'm ok with being banned for gifting friends games in exchange for money, as that's not allowed, but they should say that that's why, and so far they've implied that that's not the reason. And I haven't done anything else wrong.

  5. #5
    Lesser Hivemind Node Kaira-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oulu, Finland
    Posts
    965
    Steam doesn't really need any reasons to close your account, though that doesn't mean they just go and close them "for the lulz".

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Let this be a lesson to you not to pay for video games.

  7. #7
    Network Hub buemba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    230
    If Steam support won't help you e-mail Gabe Newell directly. He probably won't do anything either, but you never know...

  8. #8
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    77
    I have, some friends did as well on my behalf. No surprise, he ignored the emails....

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,525
    Two things:

    1) I know people will jump on me about it, but "If this was Origin, there'd be six hundred comments and blood in the streets by now."

    2) Off topic, but on that image linked, there's a line that says "We are always working with publishers to adjust their prices to be in line with what can be found at local retailers and online shops." Can we infer from this that publishers ultimately have the larger say in how prices are set on Steam, thus the ridiculous case of "Steam price >= retail shop price" (as seen in Australia) is the fault of the publishers?

  10. #10
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    6
    Its basically because prices in russia are far better for video games than EU/US and they don't want people getting those games at those prices, I buy games from russia and activate them on steam but I will stop now just hearing about this case study.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,384
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    1) I know people will jump on me about it, but "If this was Origin, there'd be six hundred comments and blood in the streets by now."
    *Jumps*

    The thread has only been here an hour and a bit, on Saturday no less. And there are plenty of us who aren't entirely comfortable with our somewhat diminished consumer rights thanks to mandatory online services like Steam forcing their digital contracts on us and circumventing the proper legal channels. No company should be able to seize an absolute fortune's worth of games, I don't care how well-intentioned they are.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,789
    How's consumer right protection in your country?

    For customer service part, dont just email or send electronic messages. Make sure you talk to anyone at Valve directly, at least a phone call. This is definitely not something routine. Maybe there are just some misunderstandings to be cleared, but clearance can only started by serious conversation.

    But your case raises a more serious concern which I have been complaining about: publishers do not have legitimate reason to justify geo-price discrimination. Online activation DRM must be abolished or our consumer rights could never be respected and enforced.
    Last edited by squirrel; 28-01-2012 at 04:20 PM.

  13. #13
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by flukie View Post
    Its basically because prices in russia are far better for video games than EU/US and they don't want people getting those games at those prices
    Isn't it wrong to ban people for using proxies from an ethical standpoint?

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Aussieland
    Posts
    1,656
    Ah, the difficulties involved in pricing something that has no cost...
    Last edited by Rii; 28-01-2012 at 04:30 PM.

  15. #15
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    77
    By the way I never used proxies, I actually am in Russia. And I wasn't buying retail games that need Russian IP activation, I was buying games on Steam and gifting them. Most of the time for free.

    But really I just want Steam to improve their crappy support, and tell me WHY they banned me.

    squirrel: Steam Support doesn't have a phone number unfortunately, otherwise I'd be all over it.

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,034
    Corporation can move production to asia and other countries, but wen you start using the same globalization to benefit mere citizens, you become the enemy.

  17. #17
    Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cold Toast, Straya
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by flukie View Post
    Its basically because prices in russia are far better for video games than EU/US and they don't want people getting those games at those prices, I buy games from russia and activate them on steam but I will stop now just hearing about this case study.
    I was in Russia during the Christmas sales and bought a handful of things. I wonder if they're smart enough to be able to pick someone that's actually in Russia from someone who's using VPN (or whatever it's called). Either way, it's been a month and nothing has happened to my account, so I assume I'm fine.

    Funnily enough though, they wouldn't let me make any purchases with my Australian address listed... So in the end I had my Australian address listed, but with Russia as the country.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Corporation can move production to asia and other countries, but wen you start using the same globalization to benefit mere citizens, you become the enemy.
    Key point here. Globalisation is uneven.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

  19. #19
    Network Hub buemba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    But your case raises a more serious concern which I have been complaining about: publishers do not have legitimate reason to justify geo-price discrimination.
    I disagree. If publishers want places like Russia, China and Latin America to become relevant gaming markets (And they should, as Steam's recent success in Russia proved) games there can't cost the same as they do in the US or Europe.
    Last edited by buemba; 28-01-2012 at 05:39 PM.

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Corporation can move production to asia and other countries, but wen you start using the same globalization to benefit mere citizens, you become the enemy.
    It's only frowned upon if you are not super-rich.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •