Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 286
  1. #261
    Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    617
    I'm in favour of better consumer protection but I think Steam should be allowed to ban people from their store - that's certainly allowable in physical stores in the UK. You're basically saying that someone who tries to use a stolen credit card can't be banned from Steam. That's unsensical.

    Also, you linked to a proposal on US laws and an article about proposed UK consumer protection. Not sure how that's supposed to support your assertion that Steam are committing a felony.

  2. #262
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,481
    Is that a phishing post? It has a skype link in it... ?
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

  3. #263
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Squiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arcadia
    Posts
    4,376
    Quote Originally Posted by tx3000 View Post
    Your reply doesn't make any sense because Perjury means to lie in court while being under oath.

    So please learn your definitions.
    Holy thread necro, Batman! You've replied to a post that is nearly 2 years old in a thread that has been dead for a good 1 1/2 years. As a side note, that user isn't active on the forums anymore, it's unlikely that you'll get any sensible replies.

  4. #264
    Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Is that a phishing post? It has a skype link in it... ?
    It has a Skype name in it, not a link. And I think he's cruising for a ban anyway by the looks of it. Anyway, get back to your novel, slacker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    it's unlikely that you'll get any sensible replies.
    That's different from any thread on here, how?

  5. #265
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    It has a Skype name in it, not a link. And I think he's cruising for a ban anyway by the looks of it.
    Cruising for a BAN?..Get back to my novel?

    So you're a Steam Fanboy.

  6. #266
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,100
    Sorry, you must have missed the memo. That word is canceled.

  7. #267
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    It has a Skype name in it, not a link. And I think he's cruising for a ban anyway by the looks of it. Anyway, get back to your novel, slacker.



    That's different from any thread on here, how?
    1) Why the quips and obvious attempts at offensive remarks at another poster on the forums? Or do you mean your comments as a compliment?
    2) What do you have against writing? Have I ever said I write well? Or that is was any more than a hobby?
    3) What? Just what!?!
    4) It's done, I don't even think you can class it as a novel, I merely said "I wrote a story" in one thread suggesting it's probably not best to setup a trilogy if you don't mean to follow through. In relation to Valve completely dropping the ball on HL3/HL2EPwhatever.
    5) Again, what's wrong with you or me posting here that requires you to attempt to cause offense?
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

  8. #268
    Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    1) Why the quips and obvious attempts at offensive remarks at another poster on the forums? Or do you mean your comments as a compliment?
    2) What do you have against writing? Have I ever said I write well? Or that is was any more than a hobby?
    3) What? Just what!?!
    4) It's done, I don't even think you can class it as a novel, I merely said "I wrote a story" in one thread suggesting it's probably not best to setup a trilogy if you don't mean to follow through. In relation to Valve completely dropping the ball on HL3/HL2EPwhatever.
    5) Again, what's wrong with you or me posting here that requires you to attempt to cause offense?
    You made a mistake and I called you on it. Why so sensitive? Don't you favour accuracy? Would you rather wallow in carelessness?

    I've nothing against writing, in general - I'm a published author.

    Why do you feel I should be complimenting you?

  9. #269
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Archbishopric of Utrecht
    Posts
    1,833
    ... Why are you both responding to a topic which was necro'ed by someone who seems to have purely joined in order to be a disruptive presence on this forum?

  10. #270
    Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by tx3000 View Post
    Cruising for a BAN?..Get back to my novel?

    So you're a Steam Fanboy.
    I AM a Steam fanboy, yes. The novel thing is a private joke that TechnicalBen and I share. He writes a comment, I correct him and throw the novel thing in his face because he's lazy, then we both have a good laugh about it.

    Last I saw you were fighting with the forum moderator like a prize asshole. Forgive me for extrapolating that to what seemed like a logical conclusion - I'm genuinely sorry, man. I hope you won't let us getting off on the wrong foot affect your stay here.

  11. #271
    Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    ... Why are you both responding to a topic which was necro'ed by someone who seems to have purely joined in order to be a disruptive presence on this forum?
    It's this or work, pilgrim. I'm re-building one of my old home PCs later. Anyone asks I'm working on the server farm.

    We don't have a server farm.

    I don't even know what a server farm is.

  12. #272
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    You made a mistake and I called you on it. Why so sensitive? Don't you favour accuracy? Would you rather wallow in carelessness?

    I've nothing against writing, in general - I'm a published author.

    Why do you feel I should be complimenting you?
    May I apologize. I'm guessing you meant it as a little in forum joke? Light hearted. Sorry, there have been a lot of snide remarks flying one way and another, and it's hard to tell intent (tone of voice) on the internet.
    My post was inaccurate? It was a skype address posted, though not an active hyperlink, none the less. I'm not sure if it was a normal post, as it looked a lot like soliciting as a legal advisor...
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

  13. #273
    Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    May I apologize.
    No problem, baby. I know you're not a native English speaker so it'd be easy to misinterpret my playful remarks. Colly ways, as they say.

  14. #274
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12
    It always amazes me how despite things being against US federal law, the Steam fanboys love trying to derail the facts with utter bullshit that has nothing to do with anything.

    This is how it works in the USA:
    Valve cannot legally block you from purchasing things they do not own, if they do they've committed a felony that is all there is too it. There is nothing to discuss or say about that.

    The us Federal laws dictate a business is not legally allowed to do it so any type of denial or attempts to derail that subject matter, means you're saying that the US federal laws do not matter.

    Also the only reason someone says a reply like this is disruptive is because Valve Representatives and anyone connected to Valve that is there for purposes of damage control, full well knows what someone posts like this is how things really work, so instead of trying to rebuttal with nonsense, they just try and get rid of the person saying it. So they cause an actual problem to get the person banned by posting how a reply like this is disruptive and negative.

  15. #275
    Network Hub rsherhod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    311
    In the US, does a shop not have the right to refuse to do business with you without giving any reason? They do here (UK), so if we consider Steam to be a shop then that's fair enough.

    They shouldn't be allowed to stop you from accessing games you've already bought though. It would be different if the payment model made Steam a subscription service.

    Also the only reason someone says a reply like this is disruptive is because Valve Representatives and anyone connected to Valve that is there for purposes of damage control, full well knows what someone posts like this is how things really work, so instead of trying to rebuttal with nonsense, they just try and get rid of the person saying it. So they cause an actual problem to get the person banned by posting how a reply like this is disruptive and negative.
    You're coming off a bit crazy there.

  16. #276
    Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by tx3000 View Post
    It always amazes me how despite things being against US federal law, the Steam fanboys love trying to derail the facts with utter bullshit that has nothing to do with anything.

    This is how it works in the USA:
    Valve cannot legally block you from purchasing things they do not own, if they do they've committed a felony that is all there is too it. There is nothing to discuss or say about that.

    The us Federal laws dictate a business is not legally allowed to do it so any type of denial or attempts to derail that subject matter, means you're saying that the US federal laws do not matter.

    Also the only reason someone says a reply like this is disruptive is because Valve Representatives and anyone connected to Valve that is there for purposes of damage control, full well knows what someone posts like this is how things really work, so instead of trying to rebuttal with nonsense, they just try and get rid of the person saying it. So they cause an actual problem to get the person banned by posting how a reply like this is disruptive and negative.
    Well I guess that's why they've rounded up everyone at Valve and put them in jail. Gonna miss those guys.

  17. #277
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    No problem, baby. I know you're not a native English speaker so it'd be easy to misinterpret my playful remarks. Colly ways, as they say.
    PS, I am a native English speaker. You might have me muddled up with others. But there is American/English differences, and it is the internet, so there is no voice tone to indicate sarcasm... wait, was that post on me not being English sarcasm? ( Winking smiley to indicate tone of post: ;) )

    On topic, I don't see anyone defending Steam for banning an account, let alone doing so with no reason and no consumer protection.

    Though, I do not know if Steam is special here, I think they are following the same rules and system as all other clubs/services/subscriptions etc. You can be banned from a store for example, you can be banned from a book store, you can have rentals recovered (cars especially). The problem is, most games are treated like rentals even though they are sold like products/purchases.

    Though Steam is worse than most in how they handle it, so that's even less reason to buy from them.
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 12-02-2014 at 08:56 AM.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

  18. #278
    Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    PS, I am a native English speaker.
    Oh. I am at a loss. I mean, I read some of your chapters. I never thought... are you sure?

  19. #279
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,481
    I read some of your chapters.
    How is that so, I don't think I ever posted any chapters here? Or is that again sarcasm? (That's even more off topic now, but again to fight against the ramble, I'll put it back on topic...)

    As no one linked to it yet: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...l-steam-games/

    It would seem again that digital and media products (or any type, digital or not) are still seen as both different and the same as physical products by the law. It's the "same" as it can be "stolen" but it's "different" in that it cannot be "re-sold". Though, the court ruling does not say a developer cannot make a system for re-selling, but that they are not legally obligated to provide one. :(
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

  20. #280
    Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    617
    Why do you keep accusing me of rambling? That's rude.

    Anyway, you have a deviantart page. You wouldn't shut up about it, virtually begged people to go read it, so I did. Offered some solid advice which you chose to ignore, and now here we are.

    Have you had a blow to the head recently?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •