Deus Ex, Shogun 2, Anno 2070, Arkham City, Dirt 3. Which one?!

To be honest, I shouldn't really be buying any more games as I've just bought Witcher 2. But which game next?

I missed out on all of these great 2011 titles. So what should I get?

Obscure Node
    Mostly all of them are of different genres, but I'd narrow it down to Arkham City and Dirt 3. I heard Deus Ex HR isn't as good as the previous Deus Ex games, Shogun 2 gouges the shit out of you with DLC, and Anno 2070 has Ubisoft's DRM. Dirt 3 is a racing game, and Arkham Asylum is an action game.

Network Hub
    I thought Deus Ex HR was bloody excellent. For my money, I'd pick either DXHR or Arkham City from your list. Both of them are a lot of fun.

If you just bought Witcher 2 why rush to buy more? I'd just hang on for an inevitable sale price on one of 'em.

DX: HR, Shogun 2 or Anno 2070. I'd say Arkham City too if you could handle the DRM. But finish Witcher 2, first. No need to rush, man

Quote Originally Posted by Net_Bastard View Post
    I heard Deus Ex HR isn't as good as the previous Deus Ex games.
    Nah. Its a hell lot better than that sequel that should not be named. I understand that HR isn't as good as the original, but the sequel? Nonono
    Last edited by Voon; 30-01-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Arkham City is indeed great, just be sure to have a high tolerance for collectibles (400+) and, as mentioned, DRM. It has SecuROM AND GFWL.

Quote Originally Posted by Miker View Post
    Arkham City is indeed great, just be sure to have a high tolerance for collectibles (400+) and, as mentioned, DRM. It has SecuROM AND GFWL.
    And Steam, if you plan to purchase there

Aye, Steam too. My copy of Arkham City refuses to save my progress unless I run the GFWL Marketplace client prior to booting up the game, despite me having reinstalled GFWL multiple times.

Shogun 2 GOTY isn't out yet, so pass on that for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Nah. Its a hell lot better than that sequel that should not be named. I understand that HR isn't as good as the original, but the sequel? Nonono
    I was thinking about this today, and I'm not saying this just to be a contrarian, but I honestly enjoyed Invisible War more than Human Revolution.

I had a lot of technical problems with IW, but once I got into it, I found it pretty enjoyable. Disappointing as a sequel to Deus Ex, but genuinely good in its own right, successfully recreating *some* of what made DX great. (With a lot of rubbish thrown into the mix too, and a final act that I hope for the developers' sake was unfinished.) I consider it massively over-rated by some reviewers, and somewhat under-rated by many gamers.

I lost interest in HR before finishing it, though I do hope to rediscover it in a few years with better hardware and lower expectations, and enjoy it on its own merits.

Anyway, sorry to go off on such a tangent! On topic, I can't help much because the only one of those games I've played is DX:HR.

Looking at your list, each game seems to fill a unique (in the context of that list) niche. So unless you have no genre preferences at all, I reckon you should just use other people's opinions to filter out anything broken or rubbish, and then go with whatever tempts you the most. (With the help of demos, if available.) Certainly leave DX:HR on the list, because while I didn't like it much, a whole lot of people did.

DX:HR is immense, definitely the one to grab from that list.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Deus Ex, Shogun 2, Anno 2070,
    Arkham City, Dirt 3. Which one?!

Deus Ex is an impressive effort when you think how furiously strict most fps are, it's quite lovely.
    Shogun 2 and Dirt 3 are branded reheats, if you've played the previous titled to death go ahead, but if like me you have empire and napoleon barely played or content left in dirt2/grid then hold off.

Anno and batman both have bothersome drm (UbiDRM and GFWL respectively) but are otherwise ace.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    I'd go with Deus Ex. It's the art, the writing, the attention to detail, and a story that isn't all over the place like the first one that really sells it to me.

However, I did in a much shorter period of time put in as many hours into Shogun 2 as I did with Skyrim, which probably says something about how enraptured I was with that game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    2070 gets my vote, as it's the only one I've played. However, until Ubisoft/BlueByte have sorted out the servers (they seem to be up more now, though) and dropped a few more patches, I'd say just get the retail edition of 1404 Gold. Cheaper and practically the same game, and it doesn't have a god-awful menu.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I would go with Shogun 2 :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Arkham City, but wait for the summer sales - I'm sure it'll be 50% off of Steam at that point.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    DX: HR, Shogun 2 or Anno 2070. I'd say Arkham City too if you could handle the DRM. But finish Witcher 2, first. No need to rush, man

From what I get from some of the forum posts I read, Human Revolution does go into the direction that Invisible War also travelled, but it does it right.

I have not played IW, unfortunately, as there was a problem with my sound card - but I now have remembered I got another one.