Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ssx

Ssx

^ Because every thread needs a trailer.

I'm looking forward to this game, but I can't help but feel that more than anything else I've seen it shows the age of the current generation of consoles. The wait for a 'next-gen' SSX game has been so long that now that it's here the visual splendour is just ... not there.

I'm sure it'll be fun, and they seem to be doing a lot of cool stuff so far as the actual game goes, yet I can't help but feel a little disappointed. But hey, at least we managed to dodge SSX-by-way-of-Modern-Warfare:

EDIT: Fail forum software...

I'm gonna link the latest trailer even tho nobody else is interested. So there.

Srsly, the footage inside the tunnels/caves looks like what I remember Xbox/GCN games looking like. =/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have my eye on this as well. I haven't really played a snowboarding game since 1080 on the N64. I think there is a demo coming later this month, right?
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    I REALLY like snowboarding games, so I'll probably buy this even if its just average (its been a long time since a decent snowboarding game), although SSX has never been my favourite, preferred Amped (the original) for providing a more laid-back, enjoy the slopes, kinda game. 1080 did a similar thing, of course, just on more limited terrain (due to technical limitations). SSX is kinda breakneck and linear usually, it'll be interesting to see how open-world it ends up.
    Last edited by groovychainsaw; 02-02-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Seriously there are really such kind of sport? It seems to be beyond the limit of human beings.

And not fun to play this on joypad. They should make a large arcade machine for it.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Seriously there are really such kind of sport? It seems to be beyond the limit of human beings.
    Well, SSX resembles real snowboarding about as much as Need For Speed resembles real driving...

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    And not fun to play this on joypad. They should make a large arcade machine for it.
    Noooo.....

To be honest my fondness for SSX has to do with its vague resemblance to futuristic racing games, of which there are not nearly enough around these days.

I think I have the PS2 versions of the second and third games from my console playing days, the action was over the top and quite silly, but it was good fun. I'm guessing the chance of a PC version is pretty low, maybe a year or two after the console versions?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    To be honest my fondness for SSX has to do with its vague resemblance to futuristic racing games, of which there are not nearly enough around these days.
    Yes! The only reason I still have my PSP is to play SSX and Wipeout. More games like those please, devs. I know you're out there listening.

I played the hell out of SSX Tricky on PS2. Over-the-top, sure, but damn fun. SSX 3 was not as interesting, and played too much like a Tony Hawk game.

Hmm, I would like to play a snowboard game now. Any on PC or Wii that are worth checking out?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I rather liked SSX3... I just loved having open mountains and being able to catch ski-lifts around and just cruise about in the snow. It's a lovely feeling, especially now i can't go real-boarding anymore.

I just wish they had toned down some of the OTT characters a little. Tricky went the other way and toned them UP.

I'm looking forward to this. This, and a new Time Splitters will make my console very happy. Though I think that might be a next gen thing.

Sad that it's taken almost an entire generation for a next-gen SSX game to turn up, but still, can't bloody wait.

I love snowboarding. I live in Western Australia, so it's insanely expensive, but I still have a massive urge to go snowboarding 100% of the time. Similarly, I've spent hours and hours watching videos of wingsuit skydiving. It looks incredible and I want to try it. That said, this game look fucking awful. Instead, get Volo Airsport and SNOW when they come out. In the same way that SKATE actually made some attempt at a skating game that felt like skating, those two seem to be trying their hardest to actually bother and get the physics and the controls right. The concept behind games like SSX and Shaun White is just hideously stupid. Please give your money to the people that actually have some sense and taste.

I'll be honest, I enjoyed SSX Tricky et al because they were fun games, not because they were Snowboarding games. This new one looks fun. So, yeah.

Whoa tomeoftom, perhaps a little vitriolic for something that simply lies outside your tastes? I don't think the SSX series has ever pretended to be a faithful recreation of snowboarding in any way, and frankly that's what I love about it. It's a snowboarding simulator inasmuch as Mario Kart is a driving simulator, and that doesn't detract from the excellence of real simulation games.

Personally, I'm quite excited about this one. I played a lot of Tricky and 3 on the gamecube with my sisters and parents surprisingly. That type of familial interaction through video games is one of the reasons I still own consoles.

On a more positive note, looks like we'll be getting a demo next week; 21st for the 360, with the PS3 version turning up the day after (source).

More footage to make tomeoftom cry:

Is it bad when I notice that the helo is an Mi-8/17?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So now that the demo is out, what do you think? I liked it, I'm seriously considering buying it. Only problem I have with it is that I can't get the damn song from the tutorial out of my head now.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I watched the quick look ex of this on Giant Bomb, going from absolutely no interest (haven't played any SSX game) to going "...whoa." and then realising I don't really play on my 360 any more. If this was ported over though, I reckon I'd probably lap it up. Looks incredibly fun.