Hybrid View

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar

Hotel Wireless Issues

Thought some of the smart people around here might be able to help me out. Staying in a hotel in Amsterdam and using the internet to find places to go, etc, but the connection has been dropping out on me... a lot. Sometime it stays connected for as many as fifteen seconds! Obviously I can't get access to the router, but I'm hoping that maybe I can change some settings on my end that will help me stay connected (assuming that it's the potentially-hundreds of other devices in the hotel that are the issue here).

When connecting initially Firefox redirects to a website where I have to QWI Hotspot website where I need to login before I can start browsing.
    When it drops out I can right-click on the wireless network, hit status, then diagnose and it will usually fix it. Hoping it doesn't mean my Atheros AR938x wireless network adapter is on the fritz - the laptop is under warranty, but I won't be back in Australia for months, and as I understand it warranties are usually restricted to the country of purchase.

Be happy to provide any more information if need be.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Network Hub
    How is your signal strength when viewing available networks and when connected? Is it always the same or does it change by more than one bar?

Are there other available networks in range that you could try connecting to? If not, can you take your laptop out of the hotel to a cafe or restaurant that has wi-fi and see if the problem persists? If the problem is the same on another network, it's likely to be a problem with your laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by vecordae
    While I am as ignorant and irrational as the next man, I am also arrogant enough to assume I possess these qualities in greater abundance than is strictly normal and foolish enough to think that that's worth bragging about.
    Simply a brilliant signature, so I'm stealing it like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Yoink!

Activated Node
    There is no magic fix for wireless issues, there is relly very little you can do without having acsses to the router. At least that i know of.

When there is wireless issue at that time , the hotel has to make conform that the problem may not become large . Most of the organization have another device to accept the wireless situation.

Obscure Node
    Hey Friends well i think its all depend about the services of Hotels like if there are 3 star and 5 star hotel then there are many less chance of Miss-Management.But unfortunately if wireless problem will be occur in hotel then its the responsibility of Hotel Management to solve that problem.As regard for restaurant equipment Australia design consulting,IT services, and wireless point of sale systems.Thanks!
    Last edited by lomew01; 14-06-2014 at 06:31 AM.