Activated Node

Training map/mod - familiarizing with weapons

Hello,

As I'd like to stop embarrassing myself and being shouted on whilst shooting RPGs/LAWs/guns in general, I was thinking I should just practice them for a bit, so I get the feel for how much a rocket/grenade/bullet drops over distance with a given gun and so on. Right now it's working a bit sketchily cause when in the middle of a mission with other people I go and try to blow some tank or whatever up, it's often the first time I ever shot the gun in question, and obviously the result is very much learning through error.

So, does anyone have a good suggestion for this (ideally a mod in which weapon switching is easy/quick and there are targets at different distances)?

Or shall I just get in an empty domination server and start shooting stuff around? (should work ok for rocketlaunching stuff, but it'd be nice to have some targets that drop, to test normal guns)

Network Hub
    Just line up some dudes in the editor, on the airstrip is always good. Then give yourself a crate and put in the player unit's init "this setcaptive true" and then they will leave you alone while you shoot them.

Alternatively boot up domi, or VTS with someone that knows at least the basics of it.

EDIT: someone will also post a visual aid with regards to launcher sights no doubt.

These excellent threads from our chums at CiA should be useful:

Anti-tank and anti-air launcher sights, Under-barrel grenade launcher sights.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

You could also try the painful Armory mode in singleplayer but you will have to play it a bit to unlock some of the good stuff. or start the Co8 Armory mission (or whatever it's called) on the ARPS server, it spawns you on the southern airfield with tons of vehicles and weapons including most of the AT weapons we use in folk/ARPS made missions that you might have difficulties with, and it starts a random challenge every now and then which you can choose whether or not to complete, it's fun to mess around in and you can do it with other people.

Vorrin, hit me up on Steam any time and I'll build you a firing range in VTS, with all the weapons you ever wanted. ;)

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Or you can continue to practice during sessions, at the expense of your teammates' lives, like me!
    What annoys me the most is that with AT, you have a target sign painted on your face for the AI, and you have to take shots quickly which results in me either missing the target or being killed cause I took too long to line it up...

Yes, as a matter of fact I do have a good suggestion: Kronzky's movable target range. You can set distance via action menu and radio menu has options for bullet cam and other stuff. Supports weapons added by mods too.
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    How to unlock everything in the armory:

Go into the armoury and press (left shift and numpad -) then type GETALLGEAR and you will have all stuff unlocked

Also the Editor has the so called "Wizard" Feature which puts you into small, randomized missions. Not too shabby to get some practice. Just select New-Wizard when in the editor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    How to unlock everything in the armory:

Go into the armoury and press (left shift and numpad -) then type GETALLGEAR and you will have all stuff unlocked

Also the Editor has the so called "Wizard" Feature which puts you into small, randomized missions. Not too shabby to get some practice. Just select New-Wizard when in the editor.
    Another way of getting evertyhing in the armory is finishing the campaign.

Activated Node
    thanks everybody, plenty of good suggestion, and I got me even a customized training session on vtw (that then degenerated in something like choppers'hell, where searchlights kill).

100 internets go to Harakka tho, as he suggested exactly what I had in mind when I posted :) (actually didn't think something so much like what I had in mind had much chance to really exist).