The latest build of F2 allows us to quickly deploy new missions. To stimulate the creation of new and exciting adventures, I propose the following:
- We cut up a map of Takistan and create a series of missions in different locations,
- This will be a semi-collaborative effort using different authors
- As coming up with a good concept is hard (see all the convoy ambush variants), we create a list of theme ideas (capture artillery guns, clear road for mechanised column, etc)
- Each mission has a clear outcome: destroy the tanks, or not. Capture a Hind, or not.
- We tie the missions together into a not-campaign. There's no specific order of missions, no real continuity and no hard work.
- We play the produced missions at a rate of 1/week on Tactical Tuesdays. The outcomes of the missions STAND for the purpose of the not-campaign. Replays and use on other days do not count!
- The final mission in the not-campaign uses a series of parameters which are toggled based upon performance in earlier missions, allowing for toys to be earned for a final session and giving us a sense of urgency and achievement during the coming weeks
I've taken the liberty of very quickly preparing the following map, stub (for which I took F2 2-5-0, removed the other factions and added a couple of example enemy patrols) and ideas:
(the thick black lines are apparently oil or power lines, they're certainly not roads)
To keep the missions semi-cohesive:
- We would be playing as TK_GUE with STANDARD F2 2-5-0 loadouts (or worse, I guess). Sideswaps would be cool for denying progress in the not-campaign but should not be de-rigueur. Communicate with your fellow authors!
- Thematically, we'll go with (Wolfenswan's?) 1980's Russian Invasion and Civil War mix. The Fighting Brigades are trying to free central Takistan and the crucial resources centred around Feruz Abad and Coltan Mine.
- NOTE: DO NOT PUT FLUFF IN YOUR BRIEFINGS, just keep it in mind.
- Opfor would be TK_Army, TK_INS or RUS. Potentially UN.
- No large/special scripts required (such as filters, revive, etc) so that the produce can also be used for Folk Sundays.
Making a mission is simple if you donít overreach yourself. Download the stub. Load it up, per the instructions on the F2 website and start placing some groups of enemies.
As a rule of thumb a typical mission needs 80-150 enemies. The magic ratio is usually (PLAYERSx4) and we get a count of 20-25 these days. A typical objective is defended by a squad of 6-10 men, heavily defended ones 2-3x this value, and the rest of the units should be on patrol. Non-infantry assets should be used sparingly; unless it is important to the mission, the upper limit should be 2-5 IFVs and about dozen technicals or static emplacements; more powerful units (such as automatic grenade launchers, actual tanks, etc) should count as double or better. Transport vehicles donít count, so go hog wild with the motorised units if you think theyíll actually dismount instead of brewing up because the players made a lucky shot. If you elect to not delete the air support or tank assets in the default platoon then please include appropriate opposition.
An immersive trick is to place several movement waypoints in a loop, then a cycle waypoint near the start. Put a Search and Destroy waypoint near wherever you expect players to be (like a base that they must attack). Create a trigger which fires 30-180 seconds after the player side is detected, simulating the "base" calling for help. The trigger should be of type SWITCH (not END, LOSE, etc). Synchronise the trigger with the cycle waypoint and the patrolling unit will keep patrolling until the trigger is fired, at which point it will attempt to complete the S&D wp!
The stub contains a couple of examples of enemy units a) following a waypoint patrol with triggered recalls b) following a completely random bis_fnc_TaskPatrol patrol and c) defending a location (including manning of empty static weapons) using bis_fncTaskDefend.
If you can't figure out how to create an end trigger, etc, then ask in this thread or leave them out and make commanders call it.
- Harakka has expressed an interest in the road through Shamali (North West)
- Sulphur has expressed an interest in Hearts and Minds op near Mulladost (West)
- Nullkigan has expressed an interest in the Armouries near Garmsar (East) and will help with the final mission
If you have no strong preference, your name will be added to a hat for random picks. I'd originally wanted to do it entirely randomly, but it's now a case of whatever stimulates your creative energies. We can worry about anything heavier at a later date assuming this NOT-a-campaign is successful.