[AAR] Folk [Sun] 05 February 2012

Comrades! Today we again had more than twenty valiant soldiers fight to further our cause. You can find the official thread at the end of this hyperlink! As usual, if you can cross-post the party may look upon you with benevolence when volunteers are next required (for one of comrade Wolfenswan's missions).

Missions:
    • Cholo
    • Buffet
    • Internecine II
    • Ride of Valkyries (the one with the fog)
    • Ride of Valkyries (the one with the attack on Nur)
    • Cordonbleu

As fun as it is to play in joint sessions, joint joint sessions and all other types of special session... sometimes it's fun to get back to basics. Thank you to all the comrades who came along to tonight's completely standard Folk session. We had over 20 players, and despite some technical challenges, and then challenges flying air cows in the fog, we managed to play for 3 hours. We even had at least one new face (comrade Brett). It was great fun, and I hope everyone else enjoyed themselves too. Please share your thoughts/screenshots and videos here.

:v:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    This was a great session, best one for a while. I never remember to record anything, though.

Cholo
    Bravo Gang Member

The boss's plan was to charge the pigs through the side entrance, overpower them through weight of numbers. Narrow corridors made it a little difficult, causing a traffic jam until the leaders were shot down to clear some space. I took one look at the doorway full of corpses and followed someone up the ladder to the roof, but quickly changed my mind when I heard him get shot. Oh well, in through the doorway to hell. It's dark inside, but no one seems to be pointing guns at me. I see a pig in a fancy hat crawling up behind a crate, so I give him a belly full of lead. Corridor looks clear now, so I cautiously advance. And get cut down from a doorway I didn't even see.

Buffet
    Bravo AR

A rare show of good commanding from Sulphur made this a well coordinated mission, trying to clear a mountain pass before a bus load of UN officials travelled through it. I was on foot accompanying the squad's M113 as we pushed along a ridgeline above the road. Our position gave us a great view but little cover, and my RPG wielding squadmate was an early casualty. My level 5 inventory upgrade let me scoop up the RPG and both rockets to go with my RPK, and it certainly didn't come in handy as both of them missed the BTR-40 sitting in the path of our approaching bus. So did the 3 other rockets fired by other people, but our massed gunfire proved more effective and the gunner was taken out before he could do any damage.

We were now racing against time as the bus driver was sick of his bus full of bickering diplomats. We charged full speed towards the ridgeline ahead, trying to reach it before the bus. There was another BTR and infantry waiting on the other side, we were now effectively fighting a running battle as we couldn't spare the time to find cover. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for those of us who survived) the bus exploded, ending the mission.

Internecine II
    Independent Alpha Rifleman

This version of Internecine was new to me, defending a lovely little mountain village from our hated valley-dwelling enemies. Alpha set up defending the south west approach, I took up position on an exposed rooftop thinking I'd be able to see the enemy before they saw me, and run for the ladder if I needed to. At least the second part worked. I heard the 2 squad members in the field ahead get shot, but with no sign of movement there wasn't much I could do except wait. The next thing I saw was muzzle flashes on the hillside opposite, I dashed for the ladder and made it inside with only light wounds. But now there's a terrifying volume of fire coming in through the windows, and I huddle in the corner trying to find a route out.

Both exits look exposed, with quite a run to the nearest cover. I eventually get my courage up and peek out the southern door, as I haven't heard any enemies from that direction. That was obviously because they were being quiet, as I took a bullet to the head before I could move.

Ride of the Valkyries (fog)
    Bravo AR

Fer decided we were going to skip the first objective and go straight to assault Nur. He also decided to give us some light fog to make things a bit easier. Unfortunately the fog didn't seem so light from the helicopter. It was also the same colour as the ground. Our chopper flew into a mountain, and we had a good time watching Bodge fly his jet into the ground and Draakon try to "rescue" us from a burning wreck tumbling down the hillside.

Ride of the Valkyries (no fog)
    Bravo AR

Take two, and the choppers landed safely in the desert north of Nur. Bravo and Charlie landed ahead of the rest, and we were quickly engaged by a Stryker. Things got frantic as everyone kept missing with their RPGs, and we were pinned down in a small compound. Eventually the Stryker drove right into the compound and everyone scrambled for cover, but head (our AT) was sufficiently recovered from a deadly encounter with a door to take it out.

We regrouped and started pushing up a small gully into the town. There was some fierce close quarters fighting, and we occupied a 2-storey building to cover the other teams moving up. Engaging a squad moving in across the opposite hillside, we came under heavy return fire and had to retreat out the back door while the jet was called in for a strafing run. We crossed the road and used the cover of buildings to clear up the west side of town, while charlie and alpha moved through the centre. We had a couple more small gunfights as we swept up the stragglers, and may have committed a war crime as we executed a field full of writhing american soldiers. All the remaining forces then converged on the bunker representing the last US presence in Nur, a barrage of machine gun fire later and we were victorious.

Probably my favourite mission of the session, the assault was very fast and fluid and almost made it look like we know what we're doing.

Cordonbleu (adversarial)
    Independent Rifleman (RPG)

First time playing this as an adversarial, to make things a little fairer it was decreed that Opfor would be assaulting us within the cordon. We formed a rough circle around commander Wolfenswan, and I found a nice position in a building away from the pack, with a walled roof and plenty of windows. I spotted Opfor moving in down the main road, and opened fire from a tiny window on a stairwell. They didn't waste time running for cover, but one was either slow or stupid and went down. A couple more bullets made sure he wouldn't be getting up again. I held position as they didn't seem to have spotted me, and got off a few more shots when they stuck their heads out.

When they started to return fire I didn't stick around, and relocated to the roof. I found a ladder on to the very top of the roof, an excellent vantage point where I could see our brave commander making a break for freedom (straight into a line of AI he hadn't spotted). Luckily for him the flashes of gunfire I could see in the distance signified the end of the enemy forces (aided by some friendly fire, I hear).

Obscure Node
    First off, I'd like to introduce myself.

My name is Breich (Brett in game today and IRL). I'm 21 years old and am a cadet at West Point; in just over a year I will commission into the US Army.

Today's session was a blast! I've always been intrigued by ARMA and its capacity for great cooperative play, and the missions that I participated in today were awesome.

The most memorable was take two of the Valkryie mission. I was an MMG element attached to the Alpha fireteam. The mission started off with a scare when I took a round to the stomach about 1km southeast of the landing zone. At first, I wasn't sure what was going on; this was my first time playing the game for a length of time and I had never been shot before. After disembarking, an alpha team member was able to patch me up, and I was good to go.

From how I had perceived the initial OPORD, I expected Alpha to be the main effort; I would throw down a support by fire from the northwest of the city. I either crafted this plan in my head or didn't hear things right, because Alpha (+) acted as Security for Bravo, who seemed to be the main effort. Our team swept along the southeast of the objective; at the crest of the hill, our team leader sprang across an M2 position. Thankfully, it was facing away from us to the northwest, and the threat was eliminated promptly. I was a little sad to realize that we were shooting at US soldiers; I realized it when we walked up to an ACU-pattern body on the ground =(

Alpha proceeded down the hill to the southwest avenue of approach leading to the objective. We began to use some bounding techniques of movement. When we reached the southwest AoA, I covered while the remainder of the team bounded across the road. As one of the elements sprinted across, I noticed the ass of an ACU pattern crawling behind a gas station; I hesitated at first because I didn't want to blue on blue someone, but I knew there weren't any friendlies in that direction so I put a couple in his behind and eliminated the threat.

Finally, we began to move towards the fortified position to the southeast. Alpha (+) bounded to a rock formation, and I stood on overwatch to the southeast, facing the fortification. I noticed one unknown moving about 500 meters away, about 200 meters beyond the fortification. Very quickly, one turned to two and two turned to four; there was an enemy element moving around. A few kill-bursts from my RPK eliminated the element.

Just as the fireteam began to bound towards the fortification, I noticed an enemy moving around in the fortification. I let out some more bursts from my RPK and destroyed another element in the fortification, ending the mission.

Lots of fun! Can't wait for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by breich View Post
    At first, I wasn't sure what was going on; this was my first time playing the game for a length of time and I had never been shot before.
    It's possible that you were shot by the doorgunner of a Blackhawk waiting on the ground to airlift the super secret enemy reinforcements into the town. However this cannot be confirmed or denied since the existence of the reinforcements and their location is a closely-guarded secret.

From how I had perceived the initial OPORD, I expected Alpha to be the main effort; I would throw down a support by fire from the northwest of the city. I either crafted this plan in my head or didn't hear things right, because Alpha (+) acted as Security for Bravo, who seemed to be the main effort.
    That's because my fireteam's always in the thick of the action, ohhh yeaaaah. In all seriousness, Bravo and Charlie were the main effort. My fireteam (Bravo) had to move very fast to keep up with the commander, though, who appeared from behind us and kept sprinting towards the enemy. Eventually we had to go and rescue him after an enemy straggler wounded him.

Its good to have you with us Brett, welcome to our monstrously mutated hybrid community. It might be worth signing up to the Folk forums as well as the RPS ones, too: http://www.ferstaberinde.com/folk/forum/

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by breich View Post
    Lots of fun! Can't wait for next week.
    You don't have to wait till next week you know, we have a session on Tuesday.

Obscure Node
    Uh-oh... I might have to work ahead on homework then =)

Cholo
    Charlie gang member (automatic)
    Charlie FTL: Qazi

As Charlie started off farthest away from our point of entry, we hopped into a party van and drove to link up with the other fireteams. I was second in the door after wolfenswan I think, and I turned off into the first room on the right. I heard shotgun blasts outside, and I looked around the corner to see a cop. I was too slow to fire my silenced Uzi and he gunned me down. I lay on the floor writhing in pain while the rest of the team was taken out.

Buffet
    CO
    Co Medic: Draakon

I commanded this mission the very first time we played it (on a Tactical Tuesday if I remember rightly) and we got shredded by an SPG-9 just past the first mines. I was keen to progress further this time, and so decided to take an approach which required a lot more micromanaging (sorry if this got annoying).

As we formed up on a hill overlooking the road, MMG gunner Bodge spotted three groups of infantry, two on the road and one on the hillside. I directed the Alpha, Bravo and MMG's fire onto one unit each and we soon cleared them up, as well as another small group which popped up on the right hand ridge line quite close to us.

After this I sent EBass's Alpha fireteam and the engineer squad down the road, with Qazi's Bravo and the MMG element provided overwatch from the ridge. I was very worried about the exposure of the overwatch element to enemy fire, and they did take a few losses (although at least one was a case of vehicular fratricide). Nevertheless they performed their role perfectly and took out several hostile groups.

Unfortunately at this point EBass's M113 and the engineer squad's FTL (Head) were killed by a Dishka at close range. I instructed the overwatch element to take it out ASAP and they did so, freeing us up to continue moving after we patched up the wounded. Luckily, no SPG-9s engaged us, so we made good progress as we pushed up the road.

A BTR-40 was blocking the road up ahead, and the bus had started on its journey (moving quite rapidly), so I urgently got the various fireteams bounding forward up the road to a hillock just in front of the BTR. The idea was to get them to pop up just in front of it and take it out with RPGs. Unfortunately the distance proved to be greater than I expected and our RPGs missed, but a hail of led shot the gunner off his turret and we continued our headlong dash up the hill, trying to stay ahead of the bus. Luckily the bus took a minute's pause here, allowing Headspace's engineer team to defuse some mines and move a bus parked on the road, and everyone else to deal with an enemy squad who had gotten behind us. In my haste to get everyone moving up the hill to get rid of the BTR, I'd neglected to secure our flanks. Luckily this unit of hostiles was quickly taken care of.

As we regrouped, the bus started moving again, but apparently the driver decided to try his hand at off-road driving, which gave us a bit more breathing room. I moved over the crest of the hill to get eyes on the route ahead, and it seemed clear enough. I ordered everyone to sprint forward to get in front of the bus, but I was moving far ahead of the rest of the formation and was gunned down. The bus then charged off down the hill, leaving the platoon in its wake. It was promptly shot up by an enemy squad down the hill.

Everyone did incredibly well, I had a blast commanding that mission. Extra vodka rations for all!

Internecine Takistan
    OPFOR, Unaco's squad rifleman (Bravo?)

We were ordered to attack the town from the south, and moved into position in a truck. Kataras got out too early, and Unaco, driven to hysterical fear by the sandstorm limited our situational awareness panicked and drove off, leaving him to follow behind us on foot. Once Unaco stopped screaming and katars caught up, we pushed on towards the town. Bodge was pinned down behind his party van, with EBass taking potshots at him from behind a rock. We flanked around, and Bodge pointed out where EBass was, allowing me to shoot from in the back.

We crawled along a line of bushes towards the town, and Draakon spotted Kelron hiding in the window of a building. I hit him, but he ducked, so I emptied a magazine into his window to show my displeasure. At this point Bushcat, who had been lying in wait in some long grass behind us, struck, incapacitating Unaco and Draakon and killing me.

Ride of the Valkyries
    Bravo FTL
    Kelron (Bravo AR)
    Bushat (Bravo AAR)
    Head (Bravo RPG)

My fireteam and Comrade Vülfenschwalbe's Charlie were to take one of our glorious aircows and assault the town together. I asked for a volunteer to pilot who wasn't Head and Ajax bravely stepped up. Unfortunately the people of Takistan had apparently decided to have a gigantic hash party and hotbox the entire nation, limiting visibility to under 50 metres. I told Ajax to keep one eye on the GPS and follow Nulkigan's chopper ahead, and not to take it too badly if we crashed. As soon as I had said this I tabbed back into the game and saw a hillside rising to meet our chopper. We all died explosive deaths.

It was worth it for the hilarity of watching the other chopper's search and rescue efforts, however:

Draakon: (upon spying a burning wreck sliding slowly down the hillside) I'll go and look for survivors.
    Fer: Is anyone left alive in there?
    (pause)
    Draakon: (deadpan) Nope.

Ride of the Valkyries, take two
    Same slots.

Fer had decreed that we would skip the first town, Anar, and move straight onto attacking Nur. The mission is too long in its current form, and I'm planning to chop into a three part campaign, with the first mission being the defence of a convoy until extraction (by aircow of course). Draakon decided to mix things up a bit and attack from the north, rather than from the south as we usually do. Unfortunately the detour we took to avoid Anar led us over the completely secret enemy reinforcement choppers, which those of us who've played the mission before don't metagame AT ALL, and a door gunner shot and wounded Brett, a new player. Luckily no one else was hurt and he was healed when we landed.

Bravo and Charlie pushed into a compound and got rushed by a Stryker. Head got incapacitated on a doorway, so I dragged him into a hut and healed him up. The Stryker charged right into the compound and we ducked for cover. Our heroic MAT gunner (not sure who it was) sacrificed himself and took out the IFV. We then pushed up a steep hillside, getting into some hairy close range engagements with a few US Army soldiers. Bravo continued onwards, although Head managed to get himself shot again. Unaco patched him up and we kept going, securing a two story building to try and support Charlie squad, who were being engaged at close range. We had a clear view of their position and were able to kill the last remaining hostile who was engaging them. At this point we took heavy fire from at least two enemy squads, and took cover while Bodge dropped some rockets onto the enemy.

We then moved out the back door of the house and began pushing further into town, along with Draakon. We were sporadically engaged and had to keep our heads down while Bodge strafed some hostiles near us, but things were uneventful until Draakon got shot in a compound nearby. I dragged him behind a wall and patched him up while Head dropped the bad guy. Unfortunately Unaco was beyond repair, leaving us without a medic for the rest of the mission.

We pushed up to a bunker and took out some hostiles at close range, and then came across what appeared to be a freaky Delta Force orgy in a ditch. We mowed them down, but not before one lightning fast operator took out Bushcat, operationally. From then on we linked up with Alpha and killed the last few enemies near another fortified position, completing the mission.

Its always nice to see a different commander take a new approach to the mission, and that playthrough went exactly how I'd imagined as I made the mission, the helicopters giving the commander enough options to create a different experience each time we play it. Good job my fireteam, we pushed through that town like lean mean operating machines.

Cordon Bleu
    OPFOR Alpha rifleman
    Fer (Alpha FTL)
    Sadisticone
    Head

The plan was for our fireteam and Nulkigan's to push up parallel streets and locate the enemy. As we moved cautiously down the road I saw a muzzleflash from a window to our front and ducked into a shopfront. Fer ordered us to keep moving so I dashed into the street and ducked into an alleyway further ahead, and found Head's corpse. Finding myself in a situation remarkably similar to that in internecine I blazed away at Kelron's window, but yet again he ducked into cover. I pulled back into a compound, and heard gunfire, with sadisticone being killed. I looked up and saw Qazi on a rooftop drawing a bead on Fer and gunned him down.

I then went up onto the roof to check that Qazi was dead, but at this time Fer got incapacitated. On my way to help him he was executed at close range, and I caught a fleeting glimpse of his killer running through a doorway. I let off a burst, but missed, and chased him while asking if anyone in Nulkigan's fireteam was still alive. Draakon responded but was incapacitated. Again I let off a burst at the enemy soldier as he ducked into a doorway and again I missed. Just as I was about to move through the doorway, I was shot down and incapped. As I lay bleeding I saw movement off to my left, and brought my weapon to bear. I could see a vague shape through the blurry red haze of my vision, and took aim. I only had 5 rounds left, and my aim was swaying dramatically, but somehow my bullets found their mark. It turned out that I'd killed Draakon. Unaco then walked up behind me and put me out of my misery. Apparently Draakon had been the one who shot me, so I guess its an example of the circle of life in action.