Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your Anticipated Games: Post-E3 Edition

Let's do this thing.

I'm dividing my list into two categories, the first being games that're reasonably assured future purchases at this point unless they turn out to be unexpectedly shit, the second being games that've engaged my interest for one reason or another and that I'll be watching out for in future, but aren't yet prepared to commit to, mentally or otherwise. On with the show!

Likely Future Purchases
    Bioshock Infinite
    Guild Wars 2
    Diablo III
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (yeah, not PC, sorry)
    Battlefield 3
    Rock of Ages
    Depth

Following with Interest
    The Old Republic (my attitude towards this game vacillates between 'maybe if I look at it sideways...' and the kind of fascination involved in observing a derailing train)
    Tomb Raider
    Rage
    Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm
    Alice: Madness Returns
    XCOM
    Carrier Command
    Age of Empires Online
    Last edited by Rii; 13-06-2011 at 04:16 AM.

Definite Purchases
    Battlefield 3
    Diablo III
    Mobile Minecraft - Xperia Play, must have.

Following with Interest
    The Old Republic
    XCOM
    Carrier Command
    a ton more games not listed already

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Guaranteed day one purchases (or already preordered):
    Starcraft 2: HotS
    Deus Ex 3
    Diablo 3
    TES 5: Skyrim

Following with Interest (probable purchases):
    Hitman 5
    Alice 2
    Dead Island
    Space Marine
    Guild Wars 2
    The Old Republic
    From Dust

Keeping half-an-eye on (faintly interested, might end up buying ages post-release or pirate-to-try first):
    Tomb Raider
    Rage
    Carrier Command
    Bioshock Infinite
    Prey 2

The f*** off awards for games I don't give a shite about anymore:
    Mass Effect 3 (on the basis of Bioware's recent track record of shitting all over fans of their old games)
    Battlefield 3 (on the basis of the steadily shittier series since BF2)

Stealing format from DarkFenix! ;)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (on PS3 though, unless people say the PC port is good one.)
    The Old Republic
    Mass Effect 3

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine
    From Dust
    Dust 514 (yeah, its PS3)

Keeping half-an-eye on (faintly interested, might end up buying ages post-release):
    Battlefield 3 (gonna need a computer upgrade and that is long ways off)
    Rage
    Bioshock Infinite
    XCOM

Consider rest of games shown to be no interest until I start reading/hearing they are the best thing since sliced bread.
    Last edited by Sceptrum; 11-06-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Banned
    Perhaps just stick with titles that actually featured at E3 rather than just general upcoming games? Also the thread title is most anticipated games, so let's stay on topic. I might care why you think an upcoming game is going to be good, but I have less than zero interest at to why you aren't going to buy a particular game (if you want to share your feelings about how Bioware upset/betrayed/killed your parents go make a separate thread about it).

From what was shown: -

Very interested/likely purchases:-

ME3 (not the best showing, but I'm interested to see how they conclude it)
    Prey 2 (I'm hoping there is some RPG aspect to it)
    Farcry 3 (dumb fun, but I liked what I saw and the shown Villain amused me)
    BF3 (Huge maps, visual splendor....Homer drool.....)
    DX:HR (GOTY potential - pre-ordered anyway)
    Bioshock infinite (weird child/woman aside, the vertical nature of the game world looks fascinating)
    Hitman Absolution (it's another Hitman game..what more is there to say...where's my cheese wire...)
    Batman (Looks vaguely cheesy, and who doesn't want to be catwoman...?)

Interested, but need more details: -

Tomb Raider (Dark, but the whole LOST island aspect is a novel take on things)
    XCOM (screw the haters..I love the Norman Rockwell stylings, and the truly out there aliens)
    RAGE (the tech looks amazing even if the game looks like a tad generic, reviews might sway me)
    Dead Island (Not a huge survival gamer, but the premise and stamina mechanic do make it interesting)
    Ass Creed Rev (Need to finally get around to playing AC:B before hand though..)
    Skyrim (I just haven't paid it much attention yet, truth be told)

Morbid curiosity: -

TOR (I'm interested to see what Bioware can do in the MMO space, but I fear they are playing safe in terms of mechanics, rather than pushing the boundaries a bit like GW2)
    Saints Row 3 (maybe a tad too purile for my tastes these days)
    Last edited by Kadayi; 11-06-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: I'm the batman!!

I'm becoming more and more interested in Rage. I don't think it will be amazing, but it's got the "probably meaty enough" thing about the combat that makes me suspects it might eat a weekend. If the world of it feels open then I'll probably get a kick out of it.

XCOM looks interesting, but the last trailer made me go "hmm". Hopefully it'll sell the story well, because the action looked dodgy.

Prey 2 looks fascinating, and very much my kind of thing. Again, how free you are in it will define it for me.

I don't really get on with Bethesda games, for some reason. I totally should, due to aforementioned desire for freedom, but they always end up boring me. Partly it's the mechanics, partly just the worlds themselves. If Skyrim can be diverse and provocative enough, it might be the game for me. But I guess we'll see.

I'm largely ignoring Deus Ex: HR, because I suspect I might really like it, so I am leaving it to the others to spoil it for themselves with previews etc.

Battlefield 3 interests me enormously, particularly the multiplayer.

Carrier Command (which I've been playing this weekend) might be fun, but the build I have is too limited to really be certain. I definitely want to play much more, so that's a good sign.

Day one purchases
    -Deus Ex HR
    -Skyrim
    -The old Republic
    -Skyrim
    -Far Cry 3
    -Diablo III
    -Ninja Gaiden III(X360)

Probable purchases
    -Rage
    -Dead Island
    -Battlefield 3
    -Dark Souls(X360)

The only game that I've seen for the first time thanks to E3 is Carrier Command and you can colour me very interested.

Rage and Deus Ex have been on the radar for a long time now and are definite purchases.

It wasn't at E3, but Red Orchestra 2 is my most-anticipated. As much as I think I'll enjoy Battlefield 3, it's looking to be nowhere near as mechanically inventive or just exciting as RO2. In terms of singleplayer, I'm very keen for Deus Ex: HR and probably Skyrim, depending upon where it sits on the Morrowind-Oblivion scale. Intrigued by: Prey 2, From Dust, Rock of Ages.

Oh, yes, thanks oor reminding me. From Dust does look absoutely awsome and as the first God game to be released in far too long I am looking forward to it immensely.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Batman: Arkham City
    SWTOR (not intending to subscribe, but definitely play first month)
    Diablo III
    Mass Effect 3

Carrier Command
    Amy
    Rock of the Ages
    Deus Ex 3
    Guild Wars 2
    the PS Vita

Keeping half-an-eye on (faintly interested, might end up buying ages post-release):
    Bioshock Infinite
    XCOM
    Prey 2 <- this would be up by two categories if it didn't carry the "Prey"-brand. I was emotionally invested into Prey 1, and liking Prey 2 despite it not being anything like Prey results in a strange conflict of emotions.
    Dead Island
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Day one purchases:
    Battlefield 3
    Diablo 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    I'm becoming more and more interested in Rage. I don't think it will be amazing, but it's got the "probably meaty enough" thing about the combat that makes me suspects it might eat a weekend. If the world of it feels open then I'll probably get a kick out of it.
    Yeah. I'm in the mood for a traditionally meaty shooter and I don't think that BF3 is going to scratch that itch for me (if I even bother with the single-player), nor Deus Ex, and Bioshock Infinite is too far away in any case. Serious Sam 3 could work, but I think that might be a bit too barebones and old-school for me at this point. And Rage isn't without other qualities to recommend it. I didn't play Fallout 3 or Borderlands so I'm not suffering from aesthetic/thematic overexposure like some are (although in any case I'd ask 'compared to what?') and I'm more interested than most seem to be in the vehicular aspect of things, particularly in multiplayer.

Also I think it'd be a shame if nobody rewarded id for their commitment to 60fps on the consoles, low latency, and non-cover-based shootering. The game might not be as jaw-droppingly pretty as some might've hoped, but the combination of this level of prettiness with the promised level of performance is pretty much unheard of and speaks to id's continued technical mastery. And I'm reasonably confident that it's not going to suffer from 'bad console port' syndrome.
    Last edited by Rii; 11-06-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Definite Purchases

Deus Ex 3 - Already pre-ordered, mainly due to the discovery that my Amazon Prime trial worked on pre-orders. The pretty much universal acclaim for the leak has gotten my expectations pretty high.

From Dust - Don't really know anything about how this will play, but it looks beautiful enough to convince me to buy. As someone else said, there hasn't been a good God game in a very long time, so it is about time we had something to get rid of sourness left by the disappointment of Black & White.

Arkham City - First game was excellent, achieving what it wanted to do perfectly. Although it is coming out in a year where there are a lot of contenders for game of the year, this will probably be high up on the most fun list.

Prey 2 - Gameplay footage was probably the best thing at E3 for me. This quickly went from a "What the fuck you doing with the best bits of Prey!!", to "I don't care if it has only minor connections to the original, I want this game."

Battlefield 3 - I've never really gotten into a Battlefield game, but the wide range of styles of maps they are going for, with some heavy infantry and some, presumably, featuring mass tank wars, sounds very interesting. It is looking very much like a different kind of military shooter, which is definitely something gaming needs. Also, developers/publishers that are openly saying PC is their primary platform for a major multi-platform release deserve supporting (as long as the game is good, of course.)

Will Probably Buy

Far Cry 3 - Although it seems up in the air whether this is going to be my anticipated Far Cry 2 done right, the footage shown looks like a lot of fun. The villian was pretty cool and the action itself look solid. Perhaps more Far Cry 1/early Crysis 1 levels than trying to refine the innovation of the sequel.

Tomb Raider - I thought the E3 showing was very disappointing. Completely linear and looking more like an interactive movie than what they were hyping up beforehand. On the other hand, Crystal Dynamic have not produced a single mediocre or bad Tomb Raider game. If what they are promising from the rest of the game comes true and there is a little more variety in the puzzles then this could be very interesting. It's just that their E3 showing has left me still completely in the dark about how this thing will actually play. Therefore, this purchase will mainly be down to my faith in the developer and my love for the franchise.

Rage - I'm liking the look of a lot of the footage I've seen so far. I'm sceptical how well Id can pull off the talky walky bits, but the action looks to be solid fun, with a nice range of tools at hand to make things a little more interesting. I don't expect this to be anything incredibly special, but I'm hoping it will be a fun way to spend a few hours (although, that probably is something special with the current state of singleplayer FPSs.)

Games I'll Be Keeping an Eye On

Dust 53837 (or whatever it is) - I hadn't heard of this until it was announced as PS3 only. I quickly got over the panic when I realised it wasn't From Dust, but became disappointed again when I read about the game. The idea of Eve has always intrigued me, but a couple of hours with the interface during a trial and the realisation that you probably need to put dozens of hours, maybe even hundreds, before it actually gets good has put me off. Gettinf access to that same universe via an FPS is very, very appealing. Alas, there will be no access for me, unless I buy a PS3. Still, the stories that could come out of this have the potential to be brilliant on their own.

Skyrim - Got bored of Oblivian pretty quickly and could never get past the horrid interface of Morrowind, so I don't have any invested interest in the series. The footage did look like a lot of fun though. I doubt Bethesda will be able to provide me with what I want, namely something with character and variety, but I hope they can prove me wrong.

Wii U - I'm intrigued what type of games could come from this. Although still lacking the precision of the mouse, the controller with a touch screen will allow for many more control options. This means that genres like strategy, space sim, RPGs, etc will have many more options available to them when being made for console. It depends what kind of market Nintendo will be going for and whether they will be able to nab some good exclusives (multi-platform will not be able to take full advantage,) but it is an interesting idea.

NFS: The Run - Just to see if it is as bad as the E3 trailer made it look.
    Last edited by Vandelay; 11-06-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Titles that I will definitely purchase and send blood smeared and tear soaked death threats to the developers with letters cut out from the most pollutive newspapers in case they don't fulfil my exorbitant expectations

-Rock of Ages
    -Amy
    -From Dust

Titles that I will most likely purchase because they are based on games I really like and/or they look really promising

-Deus Ex 3
    -Metro Last Light
    -Battlefield 3

Titles that I will purchase against my better judgement because I really don't know it any better and the gaming industry can only exist because of people like me

-Mass Effect 3
    -Skyrim

Titles that I don't really care about but might turn out decent

-Rage
    -Hawken
    -Far Cry 3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    In no particular order:

Deus-Ex, Skyrim, Prey 2, Alice, Amy, Bioshock, Rock of Ages, Hawken, Hitman, Batman, Tomb Raider, TOR, Far Cry, Rage, Mass Effect, Space Marine.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    E3 hasn't really changed my wishlist - SotS II, King Arthur II, Skyrim. XCom looks interesting, and I'll probably fall for Crusader Kings II too.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    I buy very few games near release (last non-indie I bought was the Patrician IV expansion, and before that Football Manager 2011), so it seems worth mentioning the ones I plan to:

Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Skyrim.

The first two I think will be pretty great on release, and it'll be especially interesting to see how GW2 evolves with patches. My expectations aren't particularly high for Skyrim, but there's really nothing like TES out there, and it scratches an itch that I have for open-world, skill-increases-with-use RPGs. I also trust that the mod scene will do neat stuff with it when I'm bored with the base game.

Day 1 purchases and games I'll love no matter how bad or hated they are:
    Mass Effect 3 - While I hate the recent trend of oversimplificating games and cover systems, I'm sure I'll love this game and it will be one of my games of the year
    Modern Warfare 3 - Yes, I know, I'm a complete tool. But I absolutely loved SP campaign of every single one IW CoD title. So...yeah.
    Rage - I believe that this game will be similar to Borderland in many aspects but better in most of them. And Borderlands is one of my favorite games of the past few years.
    Skyrim - Pre-ordered Oblivion even though I didn't know anything about the game and didn't regret it (well, after installing 354984GB of mods) so I'll probably do the same with Skyrim.

Games I'm really interested in and will probably buy them:
    Deus Ex 3 - Deus Ex 1 is my favorite game ever and I really hope that it won't end up like Invisible War.
    Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Played the first 3 ones, loved the story (WHAT?).

Interested or mildly interested:
    Bioshock Infinite - I've been interested the same way in Bioshock 1 and didn't really like it in the end, hoping that I'll like this one.
    Tomb Raider - Intrigued by the new direction they've decided to take, this will be interesting.
    Battlefield 3 - Mildly interested but I've always been a CoD guy (I know, I suck), teasers looked promising but so did Bad Company 2 and I never got into the game because of the weird mouse smoothing/acceleration.
    Prey 2 - Loved Prey 1 because of the innovation and creativity of developers hope this one will not disappoint. I saw 1 trailer (the chase? or something) and it looked weird.
    From Dust - Don't know what to expect but the visuals look awesome.
    Far Cry 3 - Mildly interested, FC1 was great, FC2 was weird, I like jungle enviroment in all games and movies and everything.
    Batman - Don't like Batman, don't like comics and comics adaptations but I played the 1st one and I loved it.

Games I think will suck:
    SW: TOR - No reason, I like Bioware, I like SW universe but I've got a bad feeling about this. (See what I did there?)
    GW2 - I don't ever want to see any asian MMO. Seriously.
    NFS: The Run - NFS1-4 and Porsche are my favorite racing games ever. And this one will be bad.

I've got a feeling that this post will be unnecesarily long and no one will read it. Pancakes.
    Oh, and I forgot Diablo 3. I'll play that, hopefully not too much.
    Last edited by G915; 11-06-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Testing 1 2 3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Games I didn't care about much before E3, but am now actually rather interested in:
    Tomb Raider
    From Dust
    Hitman: Absolution
    The Heist

Games I am generally interested in and have been following for a while:
    Deus Ex: HR
    Skyrim
    Batman : Arkham City
    Battlefield 3
    Guild Wars II
    Bioshock: Infinite

Games I hope aren't as bad as they look from E3 showings:
    Mass Effect 3
    Star Wars : The Old Republic
    X-Com
    Last edited by Jockie; 11-06-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter