Network Hub

UK MPs call war against Internet - breeding ground for extremist activity, terrorism

MPs have demanded that internet service providers do more to clamp down on violent extremist content that is helping to promote a surge in online radicalisation.

The Home Affairs Select Committee, lead by MP Keith Vaz, found that the internet is the predominant breeding ground for extremist activity, posing more of a risk than prisons or universities.
    MPs demanded that ISPs should be actively engaging in developing codes of practice to help policing content which could be deemed as promoting violent extremist activity. However, the definition is loose: here Parliament describes extremism along with the usual suspects as "vocal or active opposition to fundamental British values".

"More resources need to be directed to these threats and to preventing radicalisation through the internet and in private spaces," Vaz stated. "These are the fertile breeding grounds for terrorism."
    "We cannot let our vigilance slip."

The committee did note that in almost all cases, 'extremist activity' would necessitate face to face contact, but the internet played a significant role in allowing that radicalisation to take place.
    With this in mind, Parliament is telling ISPs that more should be done to censore violent content from the web.
    It appears that MPs would like the industry to come up with its own self-regulatory guidelines.
    Tensions are running high over greater powers to censor content, particularly with the ACTA coverage online. MPs are adamant that heightened caution needs to be maintained over the terrorist threat.

YouTube has also received flak for allowing extremist content to be uploaded and responded with a flagging system. As with YouTube, there are difficulties in policing vast amounts of data that is uploaded each day.
    According to broadband industry commentator Ernest Doku at uSwitch, the reality of implementing stricter controls could prove to be extremely tricky.

"An ISP is exactly that: a service provider," Doku said to TechEye. "Presently, it is difficult to discern where their role would sit in terms of deeming which content is permissible in accordance with Government guidelines.
    Putting such a large responsibility on ISPs would necessitate a big change in the role of the companies involved, one which may cause controversy in deciding which content is deemed unacceptable.
    Doku thinks it's a "mammoth task" considering the amount of data on the web. "It would also dramatically alter their overall role to one of web invigilators," he said.

There are arguments about free speech, too, especially with the government's loosely defined notions of extremism: "Inevitably, we then drift into the thorny territory of website blocking, and this is arguably another slippery slope where permission of free speech hangs in the balance.
    "This is a valiant cause and few may argue with the premise on paper, but handling extremism effectively - without compromising personal freedoms - is a delicate issue," Doku said.
    Posted this in the ACTA-thread as it seemed related, but it's just too good not to open another. xD Thoughts?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    They should come to Holland, where it appears that the houses of parliament are the breeding houses of extremity...

From what I've heard of late British parliament is a breeding ground for stupid.
    Last edited by Rii; 07-02-2012 at 04:13 PM.

found that the internet is the predominant breeding ground for extremist activity, posing more of a risk than prisons or universities.

I read up until that point. I didn't bother any further.
    It seem that learning should be banned.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    @tikey

yeah. I thought I misread that at first. Go UK, ban education!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...facebook-india And, apparently, there are more countries that look up to the Chinese throttling of the internet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    You see thats the problem it really is very vague on what a threat to "British values" man i could go against that by saying that the English Breakfast isn't all that, does that make me a terrorist?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    "UK Military Police call war against Internet" Oh my god I surrender, please spare my life my Lord!

Time to Vaz = 4s. #timetocrate

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    found that the internet is the predominant breeding ground for extremist activity, posing more of a risk than prisons or universities.

Well he's right, isn't he? University is where rebellious young males of above average intelligence and means go to learn far more than is good for them. Osama Bin Laden wasn't no street punk. Ain't smart to say it, mind you.
    Last edited by Rii; 07-02-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Activated Node
    You know what else is a breeding ground for extremist activity?

Planet Earth!

I say, we bomb the shit out of the fucking planet. Then we'll all be safe from everyone!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Well he's right, isn't he? University is where rebellious young males of above average intelligence and means go to learn far more than is good for them. Osama Bin Laden wasn't no street punk. Ain't smart to say it, mind you.
    Somehow, comparing universities to the internet still feels off, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post

With current policies I'd say they are working on that one right now.