Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 221 to 229 of 229

Thread: 'I hate' thread

  1. #221
    Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    Posts
    206
    Back to Karkand is really bugging me the more I think about it, and not about the stuff it got attention for.

    Not counting retail preorder hats and limited edition blade hilts, most DLCs like it -- map and weapon packs -- are released at least a few weeks or a month after the game. That way fans can at least tell themselves "well, I'm sure they made this AFTER it went gold" to make it taste better going down.

    Back to Karkand is day one maps and weapons. This might be the first example I can think of where it's absolutely 100% true that a developer/publisher arbitrarily ripped out part of the full game and packaged it as DLC. The game is already $60 and you have to pay extra to get the full thing. I've never really minded DLC but this is bullshit.

    Also I hate Origin. All I want to do is try and register my copy of BF2 so I can download it (installing from disc and patching it is a nightmare) but it keeps sending me to some separate place to register that looks like it was made in 2002 and it doesn't work. Screw websites, I'd actually prefer a Steam-like client.
    Last edited by Gentleman Jim Stacey; 18-07-2011 at 12:00 PM.

  2. #222
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Three miles from the nearest bus stop
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jim Stacey View Post
    Back to Karkand is really bugging me the more I think about it, and not about the stuff it got attention for.

    Not counting retail preorder hats and limited edition blade hilts, most DLCs like it -- map and weapon packs -- are released at least a few weeks or a month after the game. That way fans can at least tell themselves "well, I'm sure they made this AFTER it went gold" to make it taste better going down.

    Back to Karkand is day one maps and weapons. This might be the first example I can think of where it's absolutely 100% true that a developer/publisher arbitrarily ripped out part of the full game and packaged it as DLC. The game is already $60 and you have to pay extra to get the full thing. I've never really minded DLC but this is bullshit.

    Also I hate Origin. All I want to do is try and register my copy of BF2 so I can download it (installing from disc and patching it is a nightmare) but it keeps sending me to some separate place to register that looks like it was made in 2002 and it doesn't work. Screw websites, I'd actually prefer a Steam-like client.
    Coming out on day 1 I'm ok with, whatever anyone else says. Announcing it so long before release, though? That tells me they're just ripping stuff out of the game and making you pay extra.

    That said, we don't know why they're ripping it out of the game. They're trying to make money from it, sure, but they might be ripping it out of the game because it's shite. My Apocalypse Now analogy's getting a bit tired, so let's go to music. Artists release an album, and they release singles from that album that have B-sides. Remember B-sides? So, they could have put that on the album, but they didn't. Maybe it's not really analogous, because singles don't require the album to be listened to. But perhaps, after a while, we'll start thinking of DLC as B-sides.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

  3. #223
    Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    Posts
    206
    If it was shite I suspect they'd leave the maps and weapons in the game, where they'd just go unplayed and unnoticed, and sell something they think is great that has a higher chance of good reviews and word of mouth.

    ----------------

    Update to be fair to EA/Origin

    I found the client. BF2 was already registered but was a blank space and a 0kb download. I got in support chat (inside Origin which was extremely convenient) and the nice lady cleared it all up.

    Currently downloading at 1.6 mb/s. God I hope people still play Special Forces.
    Last edited by Gentleman Jim Stacey; 18-07-2011 at 12:41 PM.

  4. #224
    Back to Karkand isn't day one; those who get it for free on pre-order won't be able to get it then, but only after it is released. I don't think they plan on having it completed on the day of release. Mind you, Dice gave out free map packs (it's godawful that that isn't an industry standard anymore) for the PC version of BC2 for more than a year after release, and its expansion was both cheaper than any CoD map pack (and those are also started on way before release) and had way more content. DICE is, despite EAs best effort, still one of the most player-friendly developers out there. I've alreayd linked to the article were they announced that the pre-order pack woul be released to ther players at a later date.

  5. #225
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arizona, United States
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jim Stacey View Post
    If it was shite I suspect they'd leave the maps and weapons in the game, where they'd just go unplayed and unnoticed, and sell something they think is great that has a higher chance of good reviews and word of mouth.

    ----------------

    Update to be fair to EA/Origin

    I found the client. BF2 was already registered but was a blank space and a 0kb download. I got in support chat (inside Origin which was extremely convenient) and the nice lady cleared it all up.

    Currently downloading at 1.6 mb/s. God I hope people still play Special Forces.
    Yeah, people still play Special Forces (including me). There are quite a few decent servers still up, too.

  6. #226
    Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    Posts
    206
    OK, I hate when mods completely kill the vanilla game just a couple years after release.

    I'm specifically talking about Call of Duty games which have suffered this fate every single release (MW2 excluded of course).

    Basically, there are no vanilla servers to play on in World at War. Its either "tactical realism" -- a "mode" for people with no reflexes with servers set to hardcore and with rules like you must always crouch while moving, no jumping, no firing while moving, etc. which are enforced with an iron fist -- or silly snipers only servers. I just wanted to play some vanilla FFA and its simply not possible now.

    Call of Duty 2 was well on its way to this last I played (a bit after Call of Duty 4), and the original CoD and United Offensive (best MP games ever) vanilla games are sadly dead as well.

    It kind of makes me appreciate other game's modding systems, like BF2 or Red Orchestra where the vanilla game seems untouchable, so its total conversion or nothing. Games like the old Call of Dutys are just slowly cannibalized by stupid little mods until there's nothing left of the original game.

    I sold CoD4 and had the urge to play it again, so considered rebuying it, but seeing the state of WaW doesn't give me much hope for it at all, so I might have to pass.

  7. #227
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arizona, United States
    Posts
    43
    Inability to find vanilla servers is one of the leading factors to why I bought an xbox 360. I can enjoy a good game of CoD every once in a while, but I cannot stand the PC community for that series. Unfortunately Counter Strike: Source is suffering from a lack of vanilla servers as well. I do not want to play surf, zombie mode, jailbreak, killbox maps, poorly made dev-texture maps, retarded port maps, I don't want to be restricted from using an AWP, overpowered as it is, etc.

  8. #228
    Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Kody94 View Post
    Inability to find vanilla servers is one of the leading factors to why I bought an xbox 360. I can enjoy a good game of CoD every once in a while, but I cannot stand the PC community for that series. Unfortunately Counter Strike: Source is suffering from a lack of vanilla servers as well. I do not want to play surf, zombie mode, jailbreak, killbox maps, poorly made dev-texture maps, retarded port maps, I don't want to be restricted from using an AWP, overpowered as it is, etc.
    That was pissing me off last time I tried to play DoD:S too. Even it's being overran with "texture" maps.

  9. #229
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arizona, United States
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jim Stacey View Post
    That was pissing me off last time I tried to play DoD:S too. Even it's being overran with "texture" maps.
    Yeah, the Steam modding community is great and all, but if we're going to play a custom map at least choose one that doesn't look like it was made by a 12 year old throwing together FPSbanana prefabs. I can't recall ever playing a custom map on DoD:S or CS:S that was even close to the standard of quality found in the vanilla maps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •