Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 'I hate' thread

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    I just got an image in my head of a drunken I.T student wandering into a hospital, yelling out "an error has occurred" and then falling over. :D
    That's gold!

(I may even have been that student)

Activated Node
    I hate:

1. The Xbox 360. Its shitty hardware limitations are the primary reason games are not better nowadays. We can have more NPCs in towns, bigger, more epic locales; but we can't actually have them because it's not doable on the shitty Xbox.

2. Bioware. They keep making paint-by-numbers RPG-lite games that have cliche plots and bad gameplay, but for some reason everyone loves them. Their level design is terrible - most of the time their levels are just a 2D plane that has a 3D model fitted on top of it, there isn't really any variety or interaction in the height dimension. Also their idea of "rewarding players" is to make empty levels with 1 or 2 chests tucked away in random corners, and in the chests you can find small amounts of credits/healing potions. Makes no sense, and is lazy design. Their combat is bad, it's just like WoW. If you're fighting by a cliff, you can't actually push your opponents off of a cliff, makes no sense. There is no interaction with the world, not during the combat or anytime else. Their character animations are terrible.

3. World of Warcraft. So many reasons. Some of them are in common with Bioware. But generally being a shitty game that's more of a chore than a joy, and making every new and interesting MMO obsolete by definition.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I hate people who completely miss the point of a game then whine like they've somehow been cheated. It's juvenile and boring. They're a big reason the word 'gamer' is still a badge of shame.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    /rant on

I hate immersion breaking dialogue in games. The other day in the Witcher some guy calling me a 'genetically modified mutant' which when I'm in a medieval fantasy game world where in microscopes clearly haven't been invented (let alone DNA been discovered) pulls me right out of the moment. Yeah I get it that, People regard the Witchers as unnatural abominations by why not go 'you're an unnatural abomination!!' rather than use words out that ill suit the technologies of the game world. Yes I know the game is Polish, but some one doing the english script should of said 'are we really going to say that?'.

I also hate crass and wholly unnecessary Easter eggs in games. I'm sure the guys at CD Projekt though calling the 'detective' (*rolls eyes*) 'Raymond Maarloeve' (Raymond Chandler/Philip Marlowe) as well as sticking a daft hat and a monocle on his face was a great idea, but again it completely takes me out of the moment (and instantly made his suspicious). If games want to be taken seriously quit trying with the lame cultural references. It's wholly unnecessary and sort of shit Robin Williams would approve of, and Robin Williams (bar Good Will hunting) is a tragic role model to emulate, be strong and don't do it developers

/rant off

That is all
    Last edited by Kadayi; 11-06-2011 at 12:50 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

I hate Microsoft's pretence that it still cares about PC gaming. Games For Windows LIVE is both pointless and terrible, all of the exclusive games Microsoft procure end up being 360 only, and during their trade show press conferences they avoid mentioning PC gaming like the plague. Even the dev tools for PC games are tucked away in a special section on the Microsoft site, labelled as an area only for advanced users - compared to the friendly tutorials and smooth design of the section for 360 and Windows Phone development.
    Last edited by egg651; 11-06-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomeoftom View Post
    This is actually a great idea. Everyone, please be a dick here and nowhere else.

Edit: Actually, can we just sticky this and have it work its magic all the time?
    hate your stupid avatar. what is it, a close-up of a Pokeball? hate you, too. hate the Phonecians for their legacy of literacy, providing you with the means to communicate with us.

well, not really. but I didn't wanna feel left out just because I don't have vehement, poisonous feelings to vent. hate feeling left out >:<

Quote Originally Posted by BobsLawnService View Post
    Two trends in FPS games that I can't stand :

1. Two weapon limits - Why the hell would a developer want to limit the tactical options available to a player? It just makes no sense as a gameplay mechanic.
    Well, depends what kind of game you're talking about. In a realistic game like Red Orchestra I would find fault if I wasn't limited to only a couple of weapons. In a game like Half-Life, I would hate only being able to handle a couple of guns at a time.

2. The combination of cover systems and regenerating health. It removes all flow from a game and removes all incentive not to be hit. Losing half your health during a fight means nothing if health is an infinite resource. All you need to do is wait for two minutes doing nothing which is just enforced boredom.
    This is where I agree with you. Fuck cover systems and especially fuck regenerating health, and fuck the people who think it's a good idea.

Also, fuck checkpoint systems. Let me quicksave or give me places I can go to save. Preferably the former.

Hate is quite a strong word. I usually don't extend such severe emotions to video gaming. But, I guess there are individuals or similar, which I feel quite strongly negative about. That said...

This week, I have been mostly hating...

Muammar Gaddafi. Bashar al-Assad. Ali Abdullah Saleh. Zine El Abidine Ben Ali. Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa. Hosni Mubarak. Anti Semitism in any guise. Zionists. Fanatical Muslims. Islamophobia. Those who demonise the Political Left or Liberals as Marxists/Fascists/Communist. Those who demonise the Political right or Conservatives as Fascist/Corporatist/Slavers. Those who prefer rhetoric to reasonable debate, and force that on to others.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    /rant on

I really hate the... ...beneficial for us PC gamer's in terms of slowing down the hardware arms race on the PC, it's <strike>negative</strike> impact on games development and the evolution of the medium is ubiquitous.

That is all.
    I actually think halting the relentlessly expanding demands for upgrades is a good thing. Soon I'll buy Windows 7 so I can play bf3, it will be my first upgrade (my graphics card was replaced with a newer model when it burned out though) since I built my pc 3 years ago, and DirectX limitations aside I play games at "very high" "high" or most often "maximum", and often with heaps of anti aliasing and smooth FPS rates.

sorry, hate thread..... git bastards.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I hate online gaming communities whose idea of communication largely consists of insults and bragging. I don't understand why people constantly feel the need to be so vile to each other. Yes, it's frustrating in a team game when someone does something a bit silly that can cause your team to lose, but it's only a game at the end of the day and verbally abusing the offender ferments a negative attitude in others playing the game, as though it's the appropriate way to act. People need to stop acting like they're entitled to win and remember that a game can be fun when you lose, as long as you don't react like a spoilt idiot.

(I'm not referring to RPS here btw, every time I've played on RPS servers the people have been friendly and sportsmanlike)

I also hate first dungeon syndrome in RPG's, where the first dungeon always seems to be the most tedious slog in the game, that would otherwise be classed as replayable. Amusingly, Bioware fixed this problem in Dragon Age: Origins, by giving us several different starting points, only to give us one of the worst offenders, in the tedious, lifeless, colourless slog that kicks off Dragon Age II.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I actually think halting the relentlessly expanding demands for upgrades is a good thing.
    Sure, to a degree. But the problem is now we are in the situation wherein we are already getting served games that could be so much more in terms of features (even if not necessarily pushing the graphical envelope any higher..which is not my issue) if they were not having to cater to the limitations of the 360 in terms of performance as well as negotiating Microsoft's retarded multi-disc licencing policies, and until MS release a new console we are stuck with that. Thankfully some developers are moving to PC first, consoles second in terms of development, but how well that holds up who knows.

@Unaco

Still a thread about gaming & the world of gaming, not about hate in general (that should go in other stuff). Clarified the original post now.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 11-06-2011 at 03:20 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by BobsLawnService View Post
    Two trends in FPS games that I can't stand :

1. Two weapon limits - Why the hell would a developer want to limit the tactical options available to a player? It just makes no sense as a gameplay mechanic.
    2. The combination of cover systems and regenerating health. It removes all flow from a game and removes all incentive not to be hit. Losing half your health during a fight means nothing if health is an infinite resource. All you need to do is wait for two minutes doing nothing which is just enforced boredom.
    Hello old school fps gamer! I agree on both counts, for me UT2k4 was and is the epitome of multiplayer shooting. As to the limitation of how many weapons you can carry in a game I always felt the solution used in resident evil 4 was a cool one which could stand to be used in more games (although certainly not all). To those who are not aware you have a large rectangular carrying case in which all the items you have on you must fit. So a shotgun takes way more space than a handgun and the ammo takes room as does healing herbs and other gear. This is a perfect sort of inventory for a survival type game as it really makes you prioritize what needs to be used and what is superfluous.

The Gun limitations make less sense as you start to get into a scifi enviroment wherein your entire body is covered in or made from weapons or weapons are miniaturized or transformable or summoned from some hightech bag of holding.

Rather than straight up gun limits I'd like to see more clever exceptions or ideas, If the game is a semi modern shooter or something older and you've got lots of traditional large weapons you should be able to strap on belts, vests, carribeener clips, rope, backpacks, fanny packs, ducktape and glue to attach as many weapons as could be held by a human. The advantage would be more choices, the disadvantage would be a slowdown in changing to certain weapons and possible movement and mobility restrictions. Then again you could just have a vehicle act as your weapon locker and have certain environments restrict it's entry.

I hate people who don't realize Far Cry 2 was one of the most incredible FPS games of all-time, and who never figured out you could just sneak past a damn checkpoint. I hate people who never finished the game and sh*t on its story anyway, despite never experiencing a profound anticlimax that made for poignant commentary on first-world influence in the third-world and simultaneously made me despair and gave me hope.

For its procedural action, most creative approach to health management yet created in gaming (health, wound management, buddy rescue, malaria), its story, its open approach to any mission, its stealth mechanics, driving and boating mechanics, its AI, its brushfires and diving cliffside escapes and guerilla warfare in a mud village, and YES - its constantly spawning checkpoints that made the world feel like a dangerous mess in which you couldn't walk across a street without pissing someone off - I applaud Far Cry 2 and hate anyone who can't nut up and deal with it being one of top 10 games of its decade.

ANGER!!!!!!!!

Publishers and developers getting thier customers to do the marketing job on Facebook and Twitter. Thinking about that godawful Bioware bazaar.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Real-time/action RPGs with a lack of statistical depth.

People who think the most important factor in an RPG is statistical depth.

:)

Not having a million dollars.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    People who want a genre to be something that it's not because they hate the genre.

:)

Obscure Node
    I hate playing an ARMA 2 mission for two hours, forgetting to save and then have it crash to the desktop. Same with Hitman and Supreme Commander.

Over-zealous DRM.
    People objecting to any degree of DRM at all.
    GFWL.
    Microtransactions.
    The slow replacement of proper expansion packs with half-arsed DLC.
    Day 1 DLC.
    Microtransactions.
    Change for the sake of change. Cf. Supreme Commander 2.
    Publishers buying IP and then sitting on it.
    Microtransactions.
    The GUI for Dwarf Fortress.
    The application of the engineering princple of the most simple solution being the best. Cf. Civ V.
    Civ V.
    Microtransactions.

I've probably forgotten quite a few things.