Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 229

Thread: 'I hate' thread

  1. #41
    Obscure Node vandinz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4
    Apple, GFWL and Apple. Yes, I did mean to mention them twice.

  2. #42
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    /rant on

    I hate immersion breaking dialogue in games. The other day in the Witcher some guy calling me a 'genetically modified mutant' which when I'm in a medieval fantasy game world where in microscopes clearly haven't been invented (let alone DNA been discovered) pulls me right out of the moment. Yeah I get it that, People regard the Witchers as unnatural abominations by why not go 'you're an unnatural abomination!!' rather than use words out that ill suit the technologies of the game world. Yes I know the game is Polish, but some one doing the english script should of said 'are we really going to say that?'.

    I can understand that. But what about Gregor Mendel and Galileo's microscopes? After all, Mendel figured out that genes exist. It is established that in The Witcher's universe people learned about substances that cause mutations a very long time ago. I think it's fair that they use the term "mutagen" for these. "Genetics" comes from "genesis", so...
    Anyway, the books basically reimagine fairy tales and are full of pop culture references. It's just OTT pulp fiction and the games tone it down a bit. They don't telegraph that it's intended to mirror our world in a sort of sarcastic way as well as the books do.

    I hate Far Cry 2 haters. That's one game that people are playing it wrong.

  3. #43
    Network Hub 8-bit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    219
    no we played it right it was just incredibly boring, repetitive and lifeless.

    I hate the second half of crysis, god those aliens sucked and the final level doesn't run on win7 properly which needed a lot of messing around with settings.

    the second half of far cry 1.

    edit: games which have bugs that require closing it down and messing around with the settings for hours on end just to get it to run past one small but important section.

  4. #44
    Activated Node Basilicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    People who want a genre to be something that it's not because they hate the genre.

    :)
    People who assume I hate a genre I truly, madly, deeply (I wanna staaand with you on the mountaaaaains) love only because I disagree with them on the future direction the genre should take.

    :)

  5. #45
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    People who want a genre to be something that it's not because they hate the genre.

    :)
    People who think their definition of genre is the only one :P

  6. #46
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,994
    People who think genres can completely change without, you know, turning into/creating new genres.

    :)

  7. #47
    Activated Node Izzmatazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    33
    WOW. Dickhead of a game for dickheads.

  8. #48
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    83
    Your mum..

  9. #49
    Activated Node Basilicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    People who think genres can completely change without, you know, turning into/creating new genres.

    :)
    People who use "genre" twice in one sentence.

    <|:-{} - - - - -

  10. #50
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Three miles from the nearest bus stop
    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    People who think genres can completely change without, you know, turning into/creating new genres.

    :)
    We've been over this. Top-level genres admit subgenres that may be different from each other. Genres can spawn new subgenres that still qualify as being part of the parent genre. You haven't refuted this point. In fact, you've pretty much ignored it and carried on in your happy la-la land.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

  11. #51
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,489
    I try my best to hate very little, especially when it comes to a hobby that's supposed to be fun. If I don't like something, generally I try to overlook it and concentrate on the things I do like, though (as many of you well know) I frequently fail at that.

    Anyway, there are two things I'd say I truly, unequivocally hate in gaming. The first is anything that gets between my and my games, or that attempts to usurp control of my library and put it in the hands of a company/publisher/developer. UbiDRM, Steam, GfWL, any system of that nature really does piss me off (to varying degrees, of course, depending on how directly intrusive it actually is, but I dislike all of them).

    The second is the general trend in gaming away from the kind of complexity and system-based mechanics I enjoy. I know these aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I truly miss the days when developers with real budgets weren't afraid to put some math in their games, weren't afraid to go a little crazy with the simulation aspects (boot wear from walking in Realms of Arkania, for example), and that kind of thing. Yes, some small indie houses have my back, particularly with turn based strategy titles, but really stat-heavy, system-heavy, mechanically rich RPG's are nigh impossible to find anymore and I truly wish they weren't. I appreciate a good story-driven Witcher or Bioware title just fine, I enjoy TES games' openess and sense of exploration, but damn do I miss old school tough-as-nails RPG mechanics. It's hard to shake the feeling that mainstream games are getting dumber, at least in that purely mechanical sense, even as so many other aspects of the industry improve.

  12. #52
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    We've been over this. Top-level genres admit subgenres that may be different from each other. Genres can spawn new subgenres that still qualify as being part of the parent genre. You haven't refuted this point. In fact, you've pretty much ignored it and carried on in your happy la-la land.
    People that think subgenres can have nothing in common with their parent genre.

  13. #53
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Three miles from the nearest bus stop
    Posts
    1,084
    Sorry, I can resist no longer.

    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

  14. #54
    Network Hub egg651's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    119
    I hate (or rather don't understand) people who hate Steam, especially those who don't like it because they have some romantic notion of only ever launching their games directly from the EXE or whatever. I've always found Steam to be a great place to talk to friends, pick up good deals (the standard prices aren't great but the sales are something else) and generally keep all my games together in a nice, organised list. The overlay is great too. I also love the convenience of being able to directly download my games without having to wait for Royal Mail to lose it, find it, shred it, bury it underground on a desert island, have a pirate find it, kill the pirate and steal it back, feed it to the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal, lose it again, find it again and finally deliver the reconstructed remains to my doorstep. Yes, Steam has some pitfalls - They don't always get the launches of new games right, for example. However, in my opinion the usefulness of Steam far outweighs it's relatively few problems.

    P.S: Valve is awesome, all glory to the God-King Newell.
    Last edited by egg651; 11-06-2011 at 10:25 PM.

  15. #55
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    83
    I never knew the Royal Mail were as efficient as you described, Egg.

  16. #56
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,489
    I don't understand people who think Steam is the only digital distribution outlet out there, or the best one for that matter. More to the topic, however, I neglected to mention how much I hate evangelism in all its forms, whether it be for a religion, Apple, or Valve/Steam. A great diversity of options is always better than a monopoly, and there's an old saying that nicely covers the notion of putting all your eggs in one basket.
    Last edited by vinraith; 11-06-2011 at 10:28 PM.

  17. #57
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    2,920
    I hate how this thread becomes a place for arguing without addressing each other correctly. Lots of interesting discussions lost.

  18. #58
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I hate how this thread becomes a place for arguing without addressing each other correctly. Lots of interesting discussions lost.
    Really? It looks to me like a giant pile of rehashed, overdone arguments between people that will never, ever convince one another of anything. In a very real sense Kadayi's idea is a sound one, a place to vent so as to avoid cluttering up more productive threads with the same old tired, vindictive arguments. I don't think, ultimately, it will work, but hell it's worth a try.

  19. #59
    Network Hub egg651's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    119
    Vinraith: My point about digital distribution versus discs was sort of me going off on one, and wasn't directly about Steam - it merely fitted with the Steam argument as it is the most popular place for digital game downloads.

  20. #60
    People who think all games can and should be classified by set and rigid parameters, complain when games don't easily fall into the parameters they expect the game should comply to and then have arguments on forums over whose definitions of those parameters are the correct ones.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •