Network Hub

Media Player for Windows with FLAC Support

So, I finally decided to break free from the yoke of oppression that is iTunes.

I dont even use iDevices anymore.

Can you guys recommend a nice, polished media player that has native FLAC support for Windows?

thanks,

http://www.foobar2000.org/

Best audio player I know.

Network Hub
    thanks, trying it now.

any others that have that more 'polished' look?

I could just use VLC if i just wanted something utilitarian,

Foobar is highly customizable. The basic install looks very rough, but you can configure it to have all the features and looks of itunes or anything you can imagine with a little work.

Enable "Layout Editing Mode" to change the basic shape and functions. For more sophisticated stuff, you will have to do some very basic text editing.

Figuring out the basics is annoying though. There are some good tutorials at hydrogenaudio.com, but if you don't have experience with any sort of programming, it will be easier to download a nice looking pre-set from the forum there.

If you want something totally hassle-free, I believe winamp can support .flac. The last time I tried it, it still had an interface from the nineties though.

This codec makes Windows Media Player work with FLACs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze-X View Post
    So, I finally decided to break free from the yoke of oppression that is iTunes.
    You're lucky that it (apparently) let you leave so easily. When I tried to uninstall iTunes it broke my Windows out of spite. =/

I use Foobar2000 for audio, but to be honest only because I sometimes like to leave a video paused in the background and I've never been able to get VLC to do multiple instances properly...
    Last edited by Rii; 11-02-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    i second foobar

for a slightly more flashy player that's a bit closer to i-tunes/winamp i'd say songbird. last time i tried it was a bit buggy/sluggish for my taste (still way faster than winamp or i-tunes)

Activated Node
    Pretty much most of them. VLC, Foobar, Winamp, Songbird (rather like iTunes if you liked it)...

I use a plugin for WMP at the moment (only one with decent touch capability). It's a little bit fiddly to set up (restarting your system) and on the very odd occasion slows a little, but it works well.

The only thing I miss are the visualisations in iTunes. The Barbarian Group did a good job there.

Network Hub
    Thanks all,

have installed Songbird and I like what I see so far.

Nice bit of polish but very functional.