[AAR] Tactical Tuesday 07/02/2012 - And then we died

We had 26 comrades tackle the following missions:

• Fired Up (Win)
    • Garbagemen (Lose)
    • Grand Theft Aero (Win)
    • Cratesistance (Adversarial, everybody loses. Except my team. My team won.)
    • Force Ten (Win? IMPOSSIBLE. GET ME THE T-72 AIRDROP SCRIPT!)

Fired Up
    was a new mission, courtesy of Bushcat. It used fire effects to light a region that the players had to defend.

Garbagemen (also new, by me) saw a mechanised platoon try to steal supplies from a russian base. Experimentation with comms meant it didn't work too well. We'll play this again in the coming weeks and use it as part of the not-campaign. At that point we'll actually take the BMP :)

Grand Theft Aero
    was Kelron's new mission. Some excellent work after field promotions saw a succesful extraction take place.

Createsistance was not new, but was deadly all the same. A new player managed to rack up the kills and use his camo hoodie to great advantage in this adversarial masterpiece.

Force Ten finally works. There are a couple of new kinks to work out, and we got really lucky, but we can finally say we succesfully completed the mission.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Need feedback on Grand Theft Aero please. Seemed like people enjoyed it but if there's any improvements you'd like to see for v2 let me know. Already on the list are randomised enemy placement and a proper end trigger.

I'd just like to remind everyone that CHARLIE SQUAD was the first squad to reach the Firebase in Force Ten!
    We did extremely well, thanks to my squadmates who all operated like one solid unit and called out any enemy they saw.
    Unfortunately we lost Vorrin right before we charged across the open field and into the compound, but at least he managed to ge revived by harakka before we ran out of medics.

Unlike the rest of the squad, seeing as we got taken out by a single shooter that was lying prone in the compound, somewhere next to the bright fire that kept blinding us.
    I'm sorry I didn't see that shooter, guys.

However, I really, really enjoyed being a FTL in Force Ten this time, and we should play it again.

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Obscure Node
    First off,thank you all kindly for testing my mission, Fired up.It will be remixed in the coming days.Version 2 to include a lot more death and destruction.Maybe less scrap metal ;)
    Nullkigans new mission,Garbagemen looks like a real challenge to crack,looking forward to playing this again.I think it will really test squad coordination skills to pull off the objective and steal the crates.
    Grand Theft Aero was really enjoyable.Lots of tension at the start.Danger of being flanked at one point.I kept losing connection so i didnt catch who took command.they did a good job though! As always i had to leave for work at 21.30GMT,so always miss the last one(BOO!)

The new missions were really entertaining.

Fired Up was quick and slick, a nice take on the classic convoy ambush.

I got the feeling that we might have done better in Garbagemen if we'd swept forward faster with the BTRs and tried to do a quick snatch-and-grab.

GTAero: lovely mish, well commanded. And I died with my foot on the helicopter's landing skid. Delightful.

I'm not a huge fan of adversarials in general and Cratesistance, being set on the woody wilds of Chernarus, really brings out my trouble with discerning movement in high-noise environments. I did get to see some epic displays of cunning and bravery (new chap Johnny Napalm's silent deadly hunter act, and Toad and the other guy whose name I can't remember and their mad scramble for glory)

Fired Up
    I was FTL of Bravo squad, we were positioned on the side of a hill with rocks providing cover from the enemies approaching from the north as I remember, the RPG gunners did a good job with taking out any BTR's or trucks carrying troops before they could come close enough to pose a real threat. The mission was pretty fun and quick but might have been a bit too easy.

Garbage men
    I was playing as DC medic, I ran down a hill and died.

Grand theft Aero

I played as DC medic again healed a couple of dudes, threw some smoke grenades to drag two comrades to safety that were rolling around next to a road and got shot in half by a BTR.

Crateresistence
    I was Automatic rifleman in Mr.Weed's firesquad, got shot at a bit ran away, ran up a hill saw some people and thought about shooting them but was afraid that they were FT alpha so I didn't, hid behind a tree like a girl, got up and died.

Force Ten
    I was AAR in Charlie squad led by Mr.Weed, all I got was a shitty M16 but anyway we started somewhere on the NW of Zargabad, we all turned on our NVG's and started running from cover to cover, there wasn't much resistance in the first 600m or so until we came up to what looked like some kind of roadblock made of rubble, I dropped down and shot the poor bastard guarding it claiming my first victim and looked for more but didn't see any and was reminded by my FTL to keep running.

We ran into a building to regroup and check the map to make sure we were heading in the right direction and staying away from most of the bad guys, we ran over a road into a backyard and I saw what looked like a man standing in front of a monument close to some kind of roadside market, so I quickly went prone and drew a bead on him and quickly realised that he was one of us, as I heard one of my squad mates (who shall remain unnamed) fire off a few rounds next to me and I saw the rounds impact close to the man standing next to the monument, I called blue on blue but it was too late, as I saw the man fall to the ground, luckily he was only wounded and could be helped back up by a friendly medic nearby.

We were now exiting Zargabad, running over open ground with only a few nodding donkeys and low pipelines that could be used for cover in the distance, as I saw a patrol on a hill open fire on us, luckily none of us got hit probably because there were no lights and the AI lacked NVG's, we all crawled in behind a fence next to a pipeline for cover and together with help from a nearby squad took out the patrol on the hill that was engaging us.

The enemy base was now finally in sight and we engaged some of the mounted guns and men in guard towers, I ran towards the front entrance of the base shot the soldiers I could see sitting behind the M2's, threw 2 grenades over the wall and made my way over to the inside of the base after emptying the last rounds in my M16, grabbed a FN FAL off a dead enemy and proceeded inside with the rest of charlie squad, where we were all shot by some invisible AI lying next to a fire.
    Last edited by Brnin8r; 08-02-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    • Force Ten (Win? IMPOSSIBLE. GET ME THE T-72 AIRDROP SCRIPT!)

You fool Egg, you've doomed us all!

Null will probably double the enemy and IED count now. Why didn't you order us to just lay down and die quietly?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWeed View Post
    I'd just like to remind everyone that CHARLIE SQUAD was the first squad to reach the Firebase in Force Ten!
    Yes, we went really really smoothly till there, I think you commanded really well though, always telling us exactly what to do and how (also, thanks god I had sthud, or I would have lost everyone constantly :D ), so, well done.

And yes, Harakka was great, revived us all in due time.

Also, I blew up the tank at the end, so I think we can (subjectively) decide Charlie was definitely the top squad there :D

Also, Bushcat, I liked your mission a lot, it was possibly a bit too straightforward, as I didn't die, but it looks extremely good with those fires, I really enjoyed it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Fired Up

Bushcat's assistant in MAT we were waiting on the frontline and taking out the steady trickle of the BMPs and trucks.
    Bushcat got incapped once but that's about it. Overall a good mission with great atmosphere tanks to the fires but could do with a bit higher difficulty.

Garbage men

IFV1 with Kelron as the driver we engaged several vodniks on long distance. Thanks to the engineers repairing us constantly we were able to take out two of them and several infantry before the incoming BMPs made us 'splode.

Grand theft Aero

I was the very confused commander for the first half of the mission (sorry 'bout that, long day) and got taken out by a BRDM-2 that didn't want to go down peacefully. Watching DW take over command and leading our forces to a success was extremly enjoyable though.

Crateresistence

FTL of Bravo we were ordered to hold at very defendable terrain close to the A cache. First attackers were dispensed off, then we moved over open ground to help out CHarlie at the E cache. Unfortunately my legs got shot on the way but I managed to take out two of them. There was a great moment when Unaco went to investigate the E cache and I suddenly spotted a mere silhouette at the end of my viewdistance a bit further behind him, sky lining against the forest. I shouted "Get down Behind you" but alas it was too late. We kept moving towards the E cache and denying them this area but apparently harakka and Ebass managed to take out the last EI.

Network Hub
    Fired Up
    HAT - Gunner
    Climbed up a ladder while egg did the same teleported into a wall and died.
    Garbage Men
    IFV2 - Gunner
    Me and harlander went into to the town from the south-east watched bravo getting chewed up by a patrol they didn't see.
    carefully disposing of long range AT while we rolled into town.
    Spotting a spetznats squad hiding behind a compound wall we strode forward and killed the enemy sqaud when i suddenly spotted a BMP and started engaging with my KVPT then i was we were hit by a RPG from our left and promptly was left to burn in our poor BTR-60
    Grand Theft Aero
    Alpha AR
    FTL: Sulphur

Made it up a treeline outside the town charged a BRDM-2 that someone declared dead and got mowed down with the rest of my squad.

Force Ten
    MAT - Gunner

Spawned in and started running encountering very light resistance, came up the oil rigs outside the town, got engaged by two enemy static emplacement, lucky we had wolfenswan on overwatch and swiftly engaged and destoryed them.

Tink and me made it up the small town on the outskirts of the base where we got pinned down by a static emplacement, as it was ripping up the nearby friendly squad i decided to use one of my two rockets to take it out this proved to be pretty silly in the end as two T-34 swiftly arrived with only one rocket and two t-34's i was not amused, the first one was quickly dispatched by uh "excellent" aim. Good thing that other T-34 decided that this was a excellent time for a sightseeing trip around the town opening up the route inside the base.

Later Vorrin and his heroic AT-4 manged to destroy the tank.