Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Frozen Synapse dark extermination league - season 7

Sign-ups for season 7 are now open! If you would like to take part please do three things:

1) Add yourself to this list.

2) PM your email address to me (optional, but it will be very useful if I need to give you a nudge). I will not disclose it to anyone else. If you have previously PMd your address to me in an earlier season you don't need to send it again, but if you're not sure then please re-send it.

3) Click here to go to the RPS forum settings and edit the 'Private Messaging' section so that you get an email and/or a popup when someone (e.g. me) sends you a PM.

Season 7 will begin on Monday 13 February and will last two weeks, so please don't sign up if you expect to be unavailable during that period. You will probably be required to play between 4 and 6 games (division sizes are subject to the number of players). Rules are mostly as in previous seasons, and will be posted later this week.

New and old players are all welcome! No experience required, and weaponry will be provided. Sign up!

Regarding the rules for season 7: I think that the "must include explosives" rule worked well last season (as is so often the case in most areas of life) so unless anyone has a major objection we'll keep it. I'm inclined towards disallowing the reuse of maps, because while I can see that it might make the challenge process easier I think it might grant too much of an advantage. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm looking forward to this season. Division 1 sees the arrival of Lagnut, who I believe is near the top of the global rankings, and Coccyx, who has won his division in the last two seasons dropping only two games along the way. And by "looking forward to", I mean "going to get my head kicked in".

Network Hub
    I'm heading over to the US on the 20th, and I'll have internet over there, so I _should_ be able to play all my games, I'm signing up anyway - play me fast when I challenge you!

I was wondering how long it would take Lagnut to get to division 1 - I might be division 2 in season 8 :(

I think the reusing maps should be out - too much of an advantage playing the same map several times.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    How about generating random maps a la the Summer and Fall Synapse Cups and have everyone play on them?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    I agree that the maps should be generated fresh for each match. Either that or there's just one map and we use it for all matches, although that would be decidedly boring.

Activated Node
    I think map reuse is a legitimate strategy. If the map is balanced then both have the same odds.

I started reusing maps not for advantage but because the maps where fun to play.

Network Hub
    I don't think that works though, because you may have the same odds initially, but if one player has had the opportunity to practice using the same map, then they will have the advantage.

Network Hub
    There's definitely a "home advantage" to be had by playing all your matches on a few layouts. Depending on where you are in the initial league table will dictate how many you can utilize but I believe that every match should be fought on a level playing field.

Looking forward to it! :)

Whoho, im in.

But, what about these rules i have been hearing about? ^^
    I have no idea how this works (the league, not FS) but i turned e-mail notifications on and thus am positive i will find it out.
    I am really looking forward to this.

I'm in, and I've never played multiplayer before. Should be "fun."

Reporting for combat duty! :D

Haven't played in a "tournament" or whathaveyou before but I do have a quite a few matches under my belt, mostly against my peeps at TTLG.

Looking forward to this. :)

Network Hub
    I definitely agree with not allowing reuse of maps, it can give a pretty sizable advantage once you've played on a map a time or two and not only figured out everything both sides can do but also what your opponents tend to do. Whether or not that's the intention, it will be the result.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    Whoho, im in.

But, what about these rules i have been hearing about? ^^
    I have no idea how this works (the league, not FS) but i turned e-mail notifications on and thus am positive i will find it out.
    I am really looking forward to this.
    The rules (and instructions) will be posted once signups are complete, don't worry :)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    How about generating random maps a la the Summer and Fall Synapse Cups and have everyone play on them?
    I found this more of a hassle than just hitting generate a few times to get something that conformed personally if the idea is making the process easier.

I too am against map reuse. When I've played a map a second time it has invariably been much easier. It's also a bit dull. Perhaps we can change the challenge process so the distribution is more even if people are finding it a bother.

Network Hub
    You know me, I'm a sucker for punishment :) I'm in.
    Easy (nCore) likes Braaaains
    Find me on Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I'm in, and I've never played multiplayer before. Should be "fun."
    Don't want to appear mean, but I hope I'm in your league : )

Definitely like the explosive rule

Don't like the idea of re-using maps. Clicking a few (sometimes lots of) times will ultimately get a decent map.

I think I just barely missed the signups for last season after finally getting round to actually installing and trying FS. I'll probably do pretty terribly but am looking forward to this anyway!

Welcome to all the new players! Still room for a few more, and if anyone's on the fence I encourage you to give it a shot.

It looks as though the map-reuse thing is a pretty resounding 'no' (sorry tpiece). I did consider the notion of having standard maps but ultimately concluded that the random generation makes things interesting (and less work for me).

It would be splendid if we could get even more people involved in the commentary this season. Does anyone else fancy having a go, even if it's just a one-off? In particular it would be great to have some company for CMaster in the featured matches (might give it a whirl myself if I can work out how to use this microphone contraption).

Network Hub
    If anyone wants to play a practice match or two, feel free to challenge me (rodeoclown on UK1), I'm in front of the PC all day, so I'm usually pretty prompt to take my turns.