Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    rodeoclown drew with colOfNature in game 467288 with 3 men killed apiece.

Woo!
    Brought it back from an almost certain loss in the final second of the game... and your GL was nowhere near where I thought he was *mops brow*

That was tense.

Perfectly placed 'nades in the first round though - well read!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Yep, good game there. I forgot to move the grenader in that last turn and I was desperately hoping he'd make it. No such luck. Ho hum. Well played, that man!

Edit: I just watched that last turn again. That bloody rocketer! I managed to make him fire towards the top of the map and didn't even notice! That'll teach me for trying to play the game via VNC. If I hadn't been so flipping lazy I'd probably have 2 more points. Oh! Woe is me!
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 18-02-2012 at 10:38 PM.

ColOfNature has beaten WombatDeath in game 467270 by 4 kills to 2.

I couldn't believe it when I saw your SG escape the blast at the end there, I was sure I'd managed to level the score. Well played!

Cheers, I was pretty relieved when that guy snuck round the corner. I got lucky a couple of times there.

RodeoClown has defeated WombatDeath in game 465979 by 4 kills to 2. Good game!

Quote Originally Posted by WombatDeath View Post
    What was the score in this game?
    Ah sorry - 4 kills to 2.

Are we going to have to outsource the maintenance of the spreadsheet to an objective third party, WombatDeath? I only ask because you appear to be the beneficiary of a particularly unlikely typo.

In related news, the first couple of dozen matches are viewable on Youtube, and are all linked from the "Season 7 raw data" tab of WD's spreadsheet.

@SirQuijote: gg! I thought things were looking not too bad for a second there, but that's the thing about pride and falls... Was an odd map layout, too...

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Are we going to have to outsource the maintenance of the spreadsheet to an objective third party, WombatDeath? I only ask because you appear to be the beneficiary of a particularly unlikely typo.
    Hahaha it's not very subtle is it? :D I'm guessing WombatDeath is joking around with us.

Oh, dear me, however could that have happened?

*walks nonchalantly away, whistling innocently*

Steuntron has defeated SirQuijote in game 467663, 4 kills to 2

Network Hub
    tpiece, you're really gonna make this hard for me aren't you? I have this sinking sensation that no matter what I do you'll get the upper hand in the end. And WTF is your second MG? Probably the one that's going to pop me next turn :P
    Easy (nCore) likes Braaaains
    Find me on Steam

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    tpiece, you're really gonna make this hard for me aren't you? I have this sinking sensation that no matter what I do you'll get the upper hand in the end. And WTF is your second MG? Probably the one that's going to pop me next turn :P
    well, i tried but when the SG ended up stupid and bloody I went and lost the plot.

Activated Node
    supamanu has defeated tpiece in game 466927, 4 kills to 2

brocklehurst deleted/wiped tpiece in game 465927, 4 kills to 1

not sure how I am going to pick myself up after this.. *dreaming of good days of division 3*

WombatDeath has challenged cimethink in game 469485.

Network Hub
    @tpiece - I wonder how the opening move impacted that game, you lost your RL and I guess I could harass you throughout the rest of the game (although, you popped him eventually, so...). Did it make a difference to you?

So far SE07 has been good to me: 2 wins and 1 draw. I've come a long way since SE05 (all losses) and I learn a lot from watching the replays. Also, I'm not as careless as I used to be and do run a few simulations with both teams before submitting. There was a time when I couldn't be bothered and I don't think you can win at this game if you don't do it.
    Easy (nCore) likes Braaaains
    Find me on Steam

supamanu has drawn with Desvergeh in game 466931, 3 kills to 3 kills.

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Steep learning curve for me :-(
    Take heart! Both your opponents are more experienced than you, and they won as much as you lost, if you see what I mean.

I hope this is more useful than condescending - had a look at the games and have posted some advice below. Keep in mind I make no claim to being astonishingly good at this game myself - both your opponents are ranked higher than me, and I did abysmally in the last round of the tournament, so pinch of salt and so forth. :)=

This game is a buckshot-filled object lesson in the dangers of the shotgun.

- Generally you want to get your shotgun moving. I can see that in turn 1 you were using yours to cover through the window, which is not a bad idea given the narrow gap, but there is too much danger from below to leave big gaps between you and an entrance. The shotgun always wants to be close. You can see iwem has rushed his straight through the centre.

- On a map with a GL this close to where you start, generally assume it's coming for you and plan to flee.

- Your MG is quite well placed behind cover covering the south entrance, (were it not for the grenade) so long as it is covered on the right flank. The other MG is probably too close to an entrance for a map with a shottie involved. MGs are actually v long range (though it takes a bit longer to fire the further away your target is, I think) - don't be afraid to back 'em off.

- In turn 2, with an enemy shottie that close it is the greater risk; probably should have gone for a grenade in that direction. Where you put it wasn't a bad assumption for where his other units might be coming through though.

- This map has a weird unit mix. Because there is no shottie advantage, it is going to be all about LOS, movement and cover (being destroyed)

- You want to be careful early on with rpg with lots of lines of sight. It is often a good idea to move your units from their start location if it is safe to do so and you're likely to be in a RL's LOS.

- Be careful with crouching - it is not all that useful as a rule. While it can be handy with RLs for destroying cover, and allows you to hide, the time it takes to crouch or rise is a pretty steep time penalty, and being crouched gives no advantage over being still. The time it took to crouch gave you much less firing time with that MG on his RL at the top at the start of turn 2, for example.

...and that's about it, FWIW.

Network Hub
    Coccyx has challenged ComradePenguin in game 469902
    Coccyx has challenged WombatDeath in game 469907 (yep, 3 rocket launchers. Couldn't resist.)
    Coccyx has challenged Cimethink in game 469908

Can I just say, I'm bloody terrified. Looking at all of your stats, I'd be surprised if I manage to get a single one of any of your guys. Looking forward to it.

Sound advice, bonuswavepilot. I'll add some of my own - hopefully useful - advice for spacein_vader too:

I've just watched the youtube version of 466018 a few times again, and I notice the shotgunner standing, facing north. I don't know if you planned to use him as a diversion, but it's generally a good idea to duck your red herrings just before anything could have killed them, even if according to your simulations you'll probably kill that unit first. I did that with the MG behind cover, which distracted yours long enough for the shotgunner to creep up.

Also, in general: simulate your enemy's turn at least as thoroughly as your own. If you've got a plan for yourself that you're happy with, adjust the enemy's plan to see if you can break your own, and repeat until you're reasonably certain you've got most of the worst case scenarios covered. Try totally insane/high risk plans as well, both for yourself and the enemy.