Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Man, work has been absolutely killing me lately.
    I haven't even logged in for ages (like, game-expiring lengths of time).

But
    I've come to my senses and sorely missing the Big Blue.

I'm all aww shucks at Wombat's mention of me and Division One status, and I also got a lot of enjoyment explaining my thoughts and perspective for 443838, so in some small token of giving back to this truly inspiring little community we have going, I think I've got all the tools and techniques to have a good go at what I envision for recording full turn sessions for posterity and/or hilarity.

Specifically, I'm aspiring to time-lapse videos of the entire evaluate-plan-sim-adjust-submit process for every turn from "Go There Now" to "Are you sure? OK" with voice commentary (and, why not, an auto-ducked soundtrack too).

Credit where it's due (only partially because rodeoclown might out me if I don't 'fess up for myself): Indie game dev fans might well recognise this video technique from the likes of the Concept Art clips from Aubrey Serr of Wolfire. Of course, it's been used countless times before, but it took me until now to dawn on me that this could work really well for the canvas of Frozen Synapse turns.

Signed up. Once more unto the breach...

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by WombatDeath View Post
    Welcome to all the new players! Still room for a few more, and if anyone's on the fence I encourage you to give it a shot.

It looks as though the map-reuse thing is a pretty resounding 'no' (sorry tpiece). I did consider the notion of having standard maps but ultimately concluded that the random generation makes things interesting (and less work for me).

It would be splendid if we could get even more people involved in the commentary this season. Does anyone else fancy having a go, even if it's just a one-off? In particular it would be great to have some company for CMaster in the featured matches (might give it a whirl myself if I can work out how to use this microphone contraption).
    Unfortunately, you are assuming some honesty system. Anyone can still generate a new map, save and train on it. How do we know it's a fresh as in never played before map? Also, the whole scenario play and replay is to test all the "what-ifs" which eliminates the argument of having a disadvantage if you didn't create the map.

It's like arguing against chess opening moves libraries...

When I seize infinite cosmic power my first act will be to order the execution of all compilers of chess opening move libraries. That aside, I'm happy to assume that everyone is acting in good faith and I still think that repeated use of maps will confer an advantage over time, not least because many of us (myself included) seem to overlook things even with repeated simming.

Quote Originally Posted by lagnut View Post
    Specifically, I'm aspiring to time-lapse videos of the entire evaluate-plan-sim-adjust-submit process for every turn from "Go There Now" to "Are you sure? OK" with voice commentary (and, why not, an auto-ducked soundtrack too).
    Excellent idea! I don't think I'll be doing this myself as my thought process tends to be an incoherent jumble of indecision and panic, but I look forward to watching yours.

I joined the forums specifically for this. Looking forward to it!

Obscure Node
    I haven't done one of these leagues in a while. Count me in.

FS nickname is `ascagnel`, as it is most everywhere.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by ascagnel View Post
    I haven't done one of these leagues in a while. Count me in.

FS nickname is `ascagnel`, as it is most everywhere.
    Nice to have you.
    Make sure you follow the rest of the sign up details as listed here:

Quote Originally Posted by WombatDeath
    Sign-ups for season 7 are now open! If you would like to take part please do three things:

1) Add yourself to this list.

2) PM your email address to me (optional, but it will be very useful if I need to give you a nudge). I will not disclose it to anyone else. If you have previously PMd your address to me in an earlier season you don't need to send it again, but if you're not sure then please re-send it.

3) Click here to go to the RPS forum settings and edit the 'Private Messaging' section so that you get an email and/or a popup when someone (e.g. me) sends you a PM.

Not trying to influence voting, just wondered if people had seen this:
    http://www.igf.com/audience.php

Frozen synapse is up for an award at the Independent Games Festival

Obscure Node
    Count me in!

Network Hub
    I'm in, but on holiday for the first week so don't expect anything until at least the midway point.

Quote Originally Posted by SirQuijote View Post
    Count me in!
    Register thyself on yonder spreadsheet, Sir Knight, lest thy participation go unheeded and thine opponents' warriors languish lonely and unexploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Coccyx View Post
    I'm in, but on holiday for the first week so don't expect anything until at least the midway point.
    By "at least the midway point" do you expect to be able to get started early in the second week?

Would it be better to hold off launching this season until this sniper issue gets either clarified or resolved?
    Last edited by lagnut; 13-02-2012 at 05:15 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    We could simply have a no sniper rule. In six seasons I think there's only been one anyway.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

It starts today right? My calendar says YES! Today is the day!

LETS DO THIS THING! YEE-HAW!

*fires imaginary machinegun into the air*

*notices co-workers are looking at me funny, puts arms down*

(lets do this thing!)

Alright, one win to four losses last season... *not* *ziss* *time!* <Das Boot theme>

Thanks to Brocklehurst I'm in. I'll be cannon fodder for a while as I'm currently playing my 3rd ever game.

Or am I?

Yes, yes I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    We could simply have a no sniper rule. In six seasons I think there's only been one anyway.
    Okay I've got confirmation from the devs after pestering them with a direct email.
    The Sim is correct and the Sniper has new abilities.

Hi,
    Snipers did get nerfed a little. Now they have a 1 second cool down so if they lose track of a unit but reengage it within that time they are faster to react.
    Though I'm a little confused at the wording because to me being 'nerfed' is a bad thing, and this seems like only good news for the Sniper!
    At least we know now and so can plan for it. Snipers ahoy!

Sorry all, I've had problems with my job (I will no longer have one as of the end of February) and the functioning of my KVM (it doesn't). The former is a good thing but the latter is a pain in the arse. Anyway, typing ability is more or less restored and I will get season 7 underway tomorrow.