Austrian infantry advance under heavy artillery fire

Russian Jäegers reload between volleys with the Austrian line

Austrian artillery provides covering fire for their advancing comrades

Smoke obscures the battlefield
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar

Buxhoewden into Hungary (cont.)

With the Austrian army defeated outside of the city, Buxhoewden was free to march into Budapest and take control of it for the glory of the Russian Empire.

6-pounder foot artillery

I have never played Total War of any sort, but still i enjoy this AAR
    Nice write-up.

Sweden joins the fray

With the bulk of my forces occupied in the west, Swedish General Ǻne Topelius marched on St. Petersburg in an attempt to threaten my northern border. He must have been extremely confident in his numbers as the only men he brought with him were ill-trained militia. All that was standing between St. Petersburg and the Swedes was a single regiment of musketeers, a handful of Opelchenie and some citizens who would rather die than face Swedish subjugation. Leading these men was Captain Sevastian Nebogatoff and his two batteries of 6-lber cannon.

Realizing that the enemy had superior numbers and the citizens wouldn’t stand a chance fighting in the open, the decision was made to fight it out in the streets. If the Swedes could be forced into the maw of my guns I might just be able to hold them off long enough for their morale to decrease enough to make them break off the fight.

To this end the guns were placed on my right flank, one in the city streets with a clear lane of fire down two approaches and the other just outside the town covering the open fields on that flank. Between them the musketeers took up a position such that they could move to either side to defend the guns. My Opelchenie formed on the right flank outside of town behind hastily constructed barricades. The citizens were tasked with waiting inside various buildings in the town proper to fight from cover and harass the Swedes as they moved through the streets.

Seriously outnumbered

The Empire surely owes a debt of gratitude to the very brave Captain Nebogatoff as he was able to heroically hold off the Swedish invaders and save St. Petersburg from capture.

Exactly as planned, the inexperienced Swedish militia marched down the streets of St. Petersburg right into the kill zones laid out for the Russian guns. Though one battery was overrun and most of the armed citizens were killed or ran for their lives, victory was not to be denied the Russian Empire this day.

General Topelius was sent back home in shame at being defeated by so small a force comprised primarily of peasants. Now all of Europe knows than even the lowly Russian peasant is mightier than the highest born Swedish gentleman soldier. Soon enough Sweden will be made to pay for this affront, though they are spared temporarily as my forces are all tied up on the western border.

Artillery firing down the streets of St. Petersburg

Opelchenie face the oncoming horde

Sweden joins the fray (cont.)

Musketeers in melee with Swedish militia

Victory against the odds

My artillery became veterans overnight thanks to cannister shot

Not all news from the northern border is good, however. Enemy agents are still loose in my lands and have caused destruction at the Danzig tax office as well as the Bromberg farmlands. Soon enough these saboteurs will be made to pay dearly by public execution.

Late August 1805

Chaikovskay has proven himself to be utterly without morals and has assassinated the Swedish gentleman Jonas Carlsson Dryander in Ingria. This was done on my orders, of course, and not a single tear shall be shed in Russia for the fallen citizen of such a nefarious country as Sweden. No doubt he was on his way to steal some of my secrets in any case. Now the Swedes shall think twice before crossing my border.

The Battle of Warsaw

Early September 1805

Kutusov moved south from Königsberg into Greater Poland. With Warsaw defended by only a few professional soldiers, it was no match for his army of seasoned veterans. Again the Prussians show ineptitude by leaving their capital open to such an attack. It is well that I destroy the fools, the world shall be a better place without them. Such a pitiful defense was put up that it is scarcely worth recounting. With Warsaw conquered, I am yet another step closer to my goal of dominating Europe.

Warsaw falls more easily than anticipated

Late September 1805

It would seem that the Polish were chaffing under the rule of the Prussians. No sooner had I taken the city than the citizens started volunteering for service to the Empire. Pyotr Gorbachev immediately offered to spy on his former masters and I have decided to take him up on the offer. I shall send him west to Berlin in advance of Kutusov’s inevitable taking of the city. Let’s see if he can be of use to me there.

Gorbachev

Early November 1805

Not content to stay still for long, Kutusov marched on the Prussians yet again, this time intent on capturing Breslau in Silesia. As has been the case time and again, the Prussians were simply outmatched. Using his cannon to good effect he softened up the Polish line while harassing with skirmished and cavalry. Once the Prussians were sufficiently demoralized the infantry was ordered to move in and finish off the hapless foe. Yet another feather in Kutusov’s cap was added as Breslau fell like all the others before.

The Prussian line being shelled

A dangerous road to walk

Last edited by Fumarole; 06-07-2012 at 01:46 AM.

The Second Battle of St. Petersburg

In the north the Swedes have once again set their eyes on St. Petersburg. Another army of militia has been sent into my lands, only this time instead of attacking they laid siege to the city. If they think Russia will ever surrender any land to them they are gravely mistaken.

Even though the Russian forces stationed there have not yet had time to fully recover from the previous battle, I decided to have them sally forth and break the siege. Riding high on the previous victory Captain Sevastian Nebogatoff once more bravely led his fine men into an engagement with the hated Swedes.

St. Petersburg is beseiged

This time the my men were deployed mostly outside of the city, as the Swedes did not seem likely to fall for the same trap laid for them earlier in the city streets. I would need to rely on my guns claiming as many Swedish lives as possible before they could get into musket range.

Opelchenie will once more need to hold the line against the Swedes

Can my guns perform a second miracle?

Realizing that the greatest threat to them was my cannon, the Swedes quickly rushed their men into contact with my forces. With more men on the field it was inevitable that I would be overrun. I ordered some men into buildings on the edge of town, as only so many foes could enter at a time to engage them and the walls would offer cover from musket fire.

The Swedes learned from the previous battle and overwhelm me with their numbers

The Second Battle of St. Petersburg (cont.)

Seeking what shelter the local buildings can provide

Having overrun my positions outside the city, the Swedes reformed their lines outside of musket range from buildings my men were taking cover in and proceeded to taunt them. With nothing left for it but to kill as many of the enemy as possible, my badly outnumbered men were ordered to fix bayonets and engage.

The Swedes occupy my initial position outside of town

Rain begins to fall, befitting the mood surrounding my dire circumstances as I attempt one final attack

Captain Nebogatoff was unable to hold as he did previously, falling while manning his gun as a good soldier must. With the loss of the guns the battle was all but decided. The second Battle of St. Petersburg was my first defeat of the campaign, and I vowed to make it my last. Though I was bloodied, the Swedes did not press their advantage, but rather maintained their siege, no doubt waiting for reinforcements from Finland before attacking the city again. I would make them pay for their hesitation.

​This humiliation at the hands of the Swedes shall not go unanswered

*spits*

Swedish dogs.

The first year comes to a close

Musketeers

Late November 1805

With reinforcements raised, I was able to relieve St. Petersburg from the siege. Cowed once again, the Swedes retreated to Finland. This time I would not let them regroup and make a third attempt on the city; I would take the battle to them and secure my northern border once and for all.

Once again my spies have proven useful and have managed to set up a network of informers to provide information on the habits of my enemies. Ogienko has accomplished this in Olmütz and Chaikovsky has done the same in Åbo.

Late December 1805

The Russian Empire at the dawn of the new year

The Prussians have marched on Danzig and taken it by surprise. The men there died valiantly defending it, but were so vastly outnumbered it was inevitable that the city would fall. Not content to let this insult go unanswered, Kutusov immediately marched north from Breslau to come to the city’s aid. On New Year’s Day 1806, he forced the Prussians from the city and reclaimed it in the name of the Russian Empire.

With the retaking of Danzig, the Empire is in a glorious position to continue dominating Europe at the start of the year, just a short twelve months after this struggle began.

I still have a long road ahead of me
    Last edited by Fumarole; 24-03-2012 at 05:12 PM.

New Year, New Trouble

Early February 1806

Things are not going well in the Russian Empire. My forces have become spread too thin to protect all of my lands. The Austrians have taken Lemberg, one year to the day after I claimed it for myself. Prussia has taken Breslau and even the Ottomans are getting in on the action by taking Bucharest and then marching towards Iasi. I need to consolidate my forces and come up with a plan to push back against these three nations. With the Swedes being a pest in the north this won't be possible as I barely have enough money to fight in the west and south.

I decide that there's one sure way to have a sudden infusion of cash into my coffers: Vienna. Though the Austrians have a large force defending the town and more a short march away, I figure I can assault the city, loot it of everything of worth and head back to Russian lands before the Austrians can march enough men to stop me. I know I cannot hold the city, but that's no concern as I just desperately need cash to reinforce my armies and remove the Swedes from Finland.

​Pavlovsk grenadier

Buxhoewden marches on Vienna and takes it with sizable losses. The pillaging makes it worthwhile though as I claim over twenty thousand rubles. This is more money that I've seen since this campaign started and is exactly what I need. I immediately order some units trained up all across my lands - in a month or two I shall have an army that will be unstoppable. I also take this opportunity to hire a general to lead my men on their mission to remove the Swedes from my northern border once and for all. The remainder of the money is invested in some of my infrastructure as well as to commission a sloop in Ingria. Once the Swedes have been expelled from Finland this sloop shall ferry my men south to continue the fight against the hated Austrians.

General Sergei Kamensky
    Last edited by Fumarole; 06-07-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Glad to see the other nations are starting to give you serious trouble. Not because I hate you, but because it makes the story more interesting.

Do you have any militia hanging around in your eastern provinces? You could use them to pad the frontline ranks or disband them to ease maintenance costs. That could cause unrest at home, but, again, it'd make the story even more interesting.

Every available man is at the front or on his way there. I haven't had any trouble with unrest in my home regions as I've kept taxes moderate. Once I feel secure in newly conquered regions I move any militia up to augment my professional forces. Meat shields, basically.

I had to reinstall Windows a while back and forgot to save my screenies, hence the lack of images for three major battles in the last post. How I managed to remember to keep my save but not those I'll never understand. Hopefully this doesn't have any consequences for getting the achievement. Either way I shall keep plugging away.

It looks like the adventures of Tsar Aleksandr I may be at an end.

My PSU died a during a power failure a few months back so I decided to build a new rig since my previous one was about four years old. The old PC was Win XP 32 bit on an HDD and the new is Win 7 64 bit on an SSD. I have the HDD set up as a data drive and it still has all the old files intact, but I am unable locate the saves from the XP user profile. I can navigate to the Documents and Settings/Profile folder but the Nappy files do not show up. Both accounts are administrator accounts.

Any suggestions on how to retrieve it would be much appreciated, otherwise I may have to end this tale woefully incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Any suggestions on how to retrieve it would be much appreciated, otherwise I may have to end this tale woefully incomplete.
    Does Windows make a backup of the user profile before a new setup? If so, maybe the files are still stored somewhere else? Maybe you've got some old setback points?

It would be such a shame if this would have to end here.

Edit: I guess you didn't use Steam file synching (obviously this only applies if you've got the game on Steam)?

I do have it via Steam and I guess the file synching would be in use if it's a default setting as I certainly do not remember opting in to anything like that. I haven't reinstalled it yet but I'll do that tonight (it will take several hours to download the entire thing) and try tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip.

I bet this is the work of the Swedes!

Hey! That sucks. I liked reading this.

Good news everyone! I managed to finagle my save file and Tsar Aleksandr I is back in the saddle once again! Soon I will place my boot firmly across the neck of the hated Swedes and the rest of Europe shall follow.

May you never be cursed with peace.