Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar

Watchmen Prequels

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Yes, it's a bad idea that 25 years after the original series came out that DC finally release the prequels that have been referred to and discussed in some form since 1986.

Jeez, you'd think it's the damned apocalypse the way comics fans have been going on about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Jeez, you'd think it's the damned apocalypse the way comics fans have been going on about it.
    Never underestimate the power of nerdrage.

Well, I'll reserve ultimate judgment until I see the quality of the writing and art, but I can't help thinking this as being like the Dune prequals - entirely superfluous, trying to explain things that didn't need it and a pale shadow of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post

Well, I'll reserve ultimate judgment until I see the quality of the writing and art, but I can't help thinking this as being like the Dune prequals - entirely superfluous, trying to explain things that didn't need it and a pale shadow of the original.
    And even if they are, Watchmen will still be the same.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    And even if they are, Watchmen will still be the same.
    Yeah, because the prequels didn't change Star Wars at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandon Arc View Post
    Yeah, because the prequels didn't change Star Wars at all.
    They didn't. That was George Lucas being George Lucas.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    One can always ignore them, you know.

Noted: Can no longer groan at horrid cash ins of franchises as the originals are left intact. I'll go tell the X-Com threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Noted: Can no longer groan at horrid cash ins of franchises as the originals are left intact. I'll go tell the X-Com threads.
    Yeah, this is a real horrid cash in. 25 years after it first released, DC are releasing a number of prequels in limited series.

Really cashing it in there, aren't they?

Pretty much yep. It will make lots of money due to the fame of Watchmen (increased with the recent film) yet has no artistic merit what so ever. That's pretty much the definition of a cash in.

Pretty much yep. It will make lots of money due to the fame of Watchmen (increased with the recent film) yet has no artistic merit what so ever. That's pretty much the definition of a cash in.
    How do you know it has no artistic merit? Have you read it?

And, let us be frank here - Watchmen's heroes are heavily based on existing ones (because, I believe, Moore couldn't get permission to use them) and a lot of Moore's work is either based in existing franchises or uses characters from different stories and/or comics.

The prequels have been - I repeat - discussed in some form since around 1986, when Watchmen debuted. This year is the 25th Anniversary of the final issue of the series (it finished in 1987), ergo it's not exactly in the middle of nowhere.

And why will it make lots of money? Because people want it. Why has Watchmen been in print for 25 years? Because people are still buying it. DC are giving the market what it's been asking for since it came out - prequels.

I don't know of anyone who has been demanding prequels, I'm definitely dubious of the idea that it's what the fans want. I'd only heard rumours or discussion of prequels since the film, rumours about film rights did start decades ago though. That's still pretty irrelevant. The date of the release is pretty irrelevant as well.

And, let us be frank here - Watchmen's heroes are heavily based on existing ones (because, I believe, Moore couldn't get permission to use them) and a lot of Moore's work is either based in existing franchises or uses characters from different stories and/or comics.
    Utterly irrelevant.

It'll have no merit as it's been cooked up by executives at DC. Moore and Gibbon set about telling a complete story, which they did. There isn't extra detail that needs filling in. So cash-in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    Sure I can. Shit like this wouldn't exist if they weren't all weak-willed sops who buy it anyway. I mean, who's buying this?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

It'll have no merit as it's been cooked up by executives at DC. Moore and Gibbon set about telling a complete story, which they did. There isn't extra detail that needs filling in. So cash-in.
    I've never stated Watchmen's prequel is needed, but it's been an idea for years. As in... years.

As for it being a cash-in? DC are a business.

Jeez.

While this is a terrible idea, they are bringing in some high powered talent to work on some of the books. Brian Azzarello is perhaps the best noir/crime writer in comics, so getting him to write The Comedian and Rorschach's books is an inspired idea. I'm also excited to see Amanda Conner's take on the Silk Spectre, as she is simply an amazing artist when it comes to characterization.

The comics industry is built on cannibalizing the corpses of franchises that should have died a long time ago. Every once in a while, a great comic is made for morally bankrupt reasons.

I'm going to be zany and decide whether or not I like them after I've read them.

I understand the concern but it's not going to make the original Watchmen any less good.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I adored watchmen because it skimmed out everything I dislike about series of any format which are written as you go along.

Games often get a pass because I rarely buy a game for the story but less interactive genres? I want the writers not to be "making it up as they go along".

I really enjoy the TV series Fringe for the characters, but the story and how things are spelled out to the audience is often so needless. It's like JJ Abraham is deeply ashamed of Lost and is overcompensating by spelling out mysteries best left alone. (oh and Fringes handling of time travel "resetting" previous time travels is fury causing)

And that's what I feel these books are trying to do, spell out something that was inherited from the core work, do we even want that?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Just what the hell? This is such a bad idea on so many levels.
    Why? Which levels is this a bad idea on? Why is it such a bad idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Why? Which levels is this a bad idea on? Why is it such a bad idea?
    I guess it's like learning your high school(I guess college for us English) sweetheart slept around when you were away getting your degree and you went on a break.

I mean, it's her/his life but it still chides?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I guess it's like learning your high school(I guess college for us English) sweetheart slept around when you were away getting your degree and you went on a break.

I mean, it's her/his life but it still chides?
    What?! It's nothing like that. It's more like you learning - after 25 years - that your high school sweetheart got married and popped out some ugly kids whilst she kept dressing as if it were still the mid-80s.