Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Destiny!

Obscure Node

Destiny!

Hello chaps/chapettes, apologies if this is somewhat breaking the rules (I'm sure I've seen other console topics...?), but I thought I'd reach out to any fellow RPSers with a PS3/PS4 for some Destiny funtimes. Unfortunately the way that co-op works is a bit crap if you don't have a list of PSN friends, so I thought I'd try my luck here. Also in the unlikely event that anyone on the xboxes posts with their ID I'll gladly add it here.

PSN IDs:

Hale_TC
    a_battles_atlas
    Londonstani
    dmbelenk
    neema_t
    bw_ran93r
    Last edited by Hale; 20-09-2014 at 10:01 PM.

how's the launch been?

Personally dont have a console but looking forward to this title on pc next year

(or my resolve crumbles and I buy a ps4, but my brain doesnt get shooting things on a controller... `its not a mouse and keyboard... does not compute..)

...my resolve already crumbled. Good news is servers have been rock steady so far, for me at least. But yeah, the mechanism for forming coops is awful, which is a shame because I've played solo and with friends, and the former is a really poor substitute. I'm on ps4, I read somewhere that even though the universe is cross platform,you can only play with people on same machine as you. No idea if that's correct.

PSN is a_battles_atlas, add me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    If I get this on console, it would be on Xbox one, so if there were people playing on that id be more inclined.

I want it on PC, but I fear if I wait I will be fucked over by activision once more.
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henlaaz View Post
    how's the launch been?

Personally dont have a console but looking forward to this title on pc next year

(or my resolve crumbles and I buy a ps4, but my brain doesnt get shooting things on a controller... `its not a mouse and keyboard... does not compute..)
    The launch has been absolutely rock solid, which is probably why you're not hearing much about it. I've had zero launch day issues and I don't know anyone who has.

Whatever they did to ensure the launch went this well, others should follow suit.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The launch has been absolutely rock solid, which is probably why you're not hearing much about it. I've had zero launch day issues and I don't know anyone who has.

Whatever they did to ensure the launch went this well, others should follow suit.
    Well that and from what my friends have told me, the game is actually nothing to write home about either (though at least it's not another bloody Call of Duty iteration or clone). So nothing bad to say about the release, but nothing outstanding to say about the game either. Just another day in the office as game releases go, albeit a very profitable one for the publisher judging by those preorder figures alone.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Well that and from what my friends have told me, the game is actually nothing to write home about either (though at least it's not another bloody Call of Duty iteration or clone). So nothing bad to say about the release, but nothing outstanding to say about the game either. Just another day in the office as game releases go, albeit a very profitable one for the publisher judging by those preorder figures alone.
    Regardless of it being anything to write home about or not, its one of the best selling games already and it's impressive that they've finally seemingly managed to launch an online only game without any problems. Think back to when Sim City and Diablo 3 launched as online only games, only to stop people playing because the servers crapped out.

Also, there's not been very much in the media about it because nobody has finished reviewing it yet.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Game is arriving for me tomorrow ordered it late lol.

psn Id: Londonstani

@henlazz I've heard the launch has been quite good from most people. it hasn't sounded like a disaster at the very least. seems like most were easily able to play on day 2 and even on day 1 some had no issues at all (might be geography based).

Relatively good online game launch I think though.

Obscure Node
    Oooh, add me too! I get the sense this would be more fun playing co-op, but I don't know anyone else with a PS3!! All my friends back home had XBOXes.

PSN ID: dmbelenk

I got it! Game t3h on, playing now XD

Network Hub
    Venus farming spot with decent drop rates might be of interest for you console peasants ; ), ( Just jealous and waiting for PC port) have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmMaZEIV8hI
    GW2: fersumengin, Ulstermen
    Planetside 2: Fersumengin, (VS) Fersumengine (NC)
    Steam: RNC100
    Wildstar: Fersumengin
    Battlenet: rnc100 1317

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I suppose I should post here since I have the game and have played a bit with Hale, I'm on PS4 at the moment but if I can confirm whether or not PS4 progress syncs with the PS3 version, I may be on the PS3 version at the end of the week (it's my brother's PS4 and he got a digital copy, I don't have a PS4 and since MGS V is coming to PC I doubt I will get one). My PSN is neema_t, I haven't finished the story yet but I reckon I'm probably happy to play whatever. Not too sure about Crucible though as I haven't touched it at all yet, I think I want to concentrate on getting to Vanguard rank 3 and then I'll start caring about the Crucible and the different factions and stuff. I bought one of each of their capes so I can start earning XP for them when I want but since it replaces Vanguard XP and I want the Vanguard armour, I'm just going to keep doing bounties and patrol missions until I get there. I think I'm only about a third of the way to level 2 at the moment though...

I have a few complaints about the game, but the biggest one by far is the field of view. I don't know who needs a FOV like that but Jesus H. Science, I have died at least once to an enemy who was standing pretty much in front of me who I didn't see because I feel like I'm looking through a letterbox.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I suppose I should post here since I have the game and have played a bit with Hale, I'm on PS4 at the moment but if I can confirm whether or not PS4 progress syncs with the PS3 version...
    It looks like the progress does sync - I watched the start of the latest GiantBomb QL and they sync progress from PS4 to PS3 there.

I am somewhat intrigued by Destiny but it looks like it's severely lacking in content at the moment.

There's a bit of that.

I think the worst thing is there is no good context for what you do as a player. All the context for missions almost are just narrated by one or another voice during a loading screen that shows your space ship.

Very rarely there is an actual cutscene but it's almost always just some characters you rarely see talking for like 2 min.

And then side missions are just "press Square - get objective - 2 sentences - oh you completed it have a nice day" and no other providing of lore or backstory.

It's quite a fun game, but it also feels quite soulless.

Destiny expense news hits BBC lol: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29117126
    Last edited by rockman29; 14-09-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Why does your character just accept that he was dead and now he's not dead? He never questions anything.

I think it was Jim Sterling's review in which he said that every character in this game is aware of the grand adventure and story, but none of them are taking the time to explain any of it to you.

"Ah yes, The Black Garden, have you heard of it?"
    "We have" - hang on, no we haven't. Maybe you have robot man from game of thrones but I haven't.

The story is piss. The gameplay is ace though.

Steam ID

The longer I play the harder I find it to reconcile the hype with the reality. All that engineering effort to create a persistent shared universe, for what? Its a very solid, often fun co-op shooter, but the fact that randoms are in the same world as you has vanishingly little relevance, beyond the very rare moments when you both shoot at the same thing for twenty seconds.

It would probably be better just to remove them, as at least then you could use the D-pad for something useful like weapon swaps, instead of the four canned interactions, which are amusing for the five seconds it takes them to loop.

And I honestly can't remember the last time I experienced a story as wretched as this one. Its nothing more than an catalogue of species, characters and objects to fit out a ten year franchise with. I've watched every cut scene and all I know is what I read in the previews.

I'm fairly casual and don't have a lot of time to spare at the moment but feel free to add meh
    PSN is bw_ran93r

Still dithering about which class to really play but having fun with the warlock at the moment.

So I ended up getting it on PS3 in the end. Is anyone up for forming an RPS clan?

Obscure Node
    Apologies for neglecting the thread! It's now updated with PSN IDs. I'm still really rather enjoying the game, despite its flaws. The worst things about it sort of fade away the more you play though; I'm having the rare experience of enjoying the game more the more I play, rather than seeing bad things I hadn't previously the more I dig in. I think that's testament to how rock solid the core systems of the game are. It just feels right, all the time. Then Dinklage phones his way through another screamer of a line and you're reminded of the crap, but by that point you've heard the line a thousand times anyway and have become largely immune.

Only problem is I now have too much work on to dedicate much time to it, much less the time required to attempt a raid.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hale View Post
    Then Dinklage phones his way through another screamer of a line and you're reminded of the crap, but by that point you've heard the line a thousand times anyway and have become largely immune.
    This is how I coped with Claptrap in Borderlands 2.

As for the rest, I don't know, I'm playing the game a lot - like, a lot - and I'm starting to wonder what the hell I'm doing. Last night I tried to finish off the exotic bounty for my Thorn, solo; that's a level 26 epic Moon strike where you don't kill the target guy and instead kill all the respawning bads but I couldn't even get past the first locked door because the very last thing that happens before that is you get rushed by five wizards, two normal, two major and one ultra, and I couldn't find a way around that. I probably just need more people.

I also got another exotic bounty for the Pocket Infinity, so now I need to dismantle 10 fusion rifles, I've done three (one I already had, one I managed to buy while the gunsmith was still selling them and one legendary I got as a reward for ranking up in Vanguard points again) but the abundance of rifles I had the day before yesterday has been replaced by an abundance of everything else. So I've been doing strikes to try and get some fusion rifle drops, not happening. Tried farming the loot cave, no deal.

I tried the raid, by the way, I was invited by a group of five people so I figured that's what they wanted to do. We died many, many times and then one guy dropped out in frustration because he couldn't kill anything. I used all four of my heavy ammo refills, too...