I like how my comments 'await moderation' whilst spammers have free reign ...

... on the boards.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Your comments await moderation?

Where?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    You must of pissed someone off Rii. Wulf had the same and then he got banned.

On the main site. Maybe cos they contain links, I dunno?

In any case it's not a big deal, same with the spammers. But the two together paint a fairly ridiculous picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    You must of pissed someone off Rii. Wulf had the same and then he got banned.
    I don't recall writing anything particularly inflammatory of late. In any case a test comment just then went through fine. Seems it was the links indeed.

But again: I'm not complaining about the moderation queue per se. But if you're going to auto-moderate for spam, how about doing it with first-time contributors and not with those who've been around for years? Or at least, y'know, both.
    Last edited by Rii; 11-02-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    It's the links; that happened to me a ways back when I had about four of them in one post.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Banned
    The Spam-o-tron 3000 cares nothing for petty human concerns. It hoovers up the just and unjust with alarming regularity. Zap Jim to look into it.

Alternatively: accept that maybe it taking an extra hour or two to read your opinions is a sacrifice we're all going to be willing to make, however hard.

Adding more than one link to a post on the RPS main page will cause it to be awaiting approval. Unfortunately, it may also mean that your comment will get removed even though it's not spam at all. One of my comments got removed because I linked to an XKCD comic and (I think) a Wikipedia page. Seems like whoever is browsing through the "comments awaiting approval" may not be checking these comments thoroughly.

My advice: don't put more than two links in a comment.

Obscure Node
    It's a pity that a comment is flagged even if the links are to RPS articles. As suggested, try to limit your posts to one or two links, and just write more than one comment if you need / want to have more.

Thanks (almost) everyone.

I am Mr Alec Meer, lord of hair Bonzrat's Avatar
    We are not entirely masters of our spam filter, but it will continue to be tweaked/shouted at over time. We do check what's been spammed on an semi-regular basis, so a lot of false positives end up restored in the end, but obviously that can be after debate has happened. Sorry!

But yeah, multiple links tend to set the filter off (though we have tried to make it accept more), as does rapid posting. So, if a comment gets eaten, please wait a short while and try it again later with less links, rather than immediately trying again - otherwise it will be even more convinced you're a spammer.
    Peace through tyranny