Anyone Playing Overgrowth alpha?

http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth

...thinking of preording it because I love the idea of kung-fu rabbits but I don't want to throw $30 away and I've been burned so many times from pre-orders.

Has anyone ordered it & played some of the alpha? thoughts?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    It's still just an engine, no game behind yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    From the videos i've seen the graphics and gameplay look great. I just refuse to pay for a game where they haven't even started developing the SP campaign yet. Plus I really hate the fact that you play as a bunny rabbit.

I'm particularly interested in whether the combat controls are as complicated as they were in Lugaru. Remembering to hold shift, then start running, then hit space, then hit shift again, then click LMB to do something like a jump kick was just too much for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    I'm particularly interested in whether the combat controls are as complicated as they were in Lugaru. Remembering to hold shift, then start running, then hit space, then hit shift again, then click LMB to do something like a jump kick was just too much for me.
    I think that has quite improved, but expect the same combat depth.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    It's still just an engine, no game behind yet.
    So is there anything worthwhile in paying the $30? Even something like getting to see how a game is developed over time?

I got it a while back. I've had a lot of fun setting up fights, playing massively outnumbered but in slow-motion, things like that, but its exclusively a make your own fun thing at the moment.
    It is cool to see how the game changes from week to week but TBH you can get that experience from watching the videos.
    If you would enjoy making levels in the editor I could reccomend it more. I bought it just because the combat appealed so much. I dont regret getting it but I'd advise that its not 30 dollars worth of entertainment... Yet.

I've been following the progress of Overgrowth for at least a year, but I still haven't purchased it. Even so, every developer video I've seen has been extremely impressive. The setting and characters don't bother me in any particular way; I grew up with Watership Down and The Wind in the Willows.

So it's easy for me to concentrate on the interesting parts of the game's engine. Things that stick out:

*3D sound: sounds actually bounce off objects and reverberate down hallways. Certain creatures can hear better than others.
    *Procedural animation: certain keyframes are animated by hand but the flow between them is automated and natural looking.
    *High-detail open worlds

I'd keep an eye on it if I were you. The asking price seems...steep, honestly. I don't know how mod-friendly the game is, but if there's a substantial amount of support for mods, I think that would justify the price for me.

i've seen the graphics and gameplay look great

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
    I don't know how mod-friendly the game is, but if there's a substantial amount of support for mods, I think that would justify the price for me.
    Looks like there should be quite a bit:

http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Ov...th_Map_Editing