Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Conquest of Elysium 3

I know Dominbions 3 got some love here but i bounced right off it, it was too wide open, i really ought to go back. But reading this made the developers latest effort very interesting, because its simple, but crazy too.

Hands of Glory. These are the severed left hands of executed murderers. Necromancers gather them from any settlement large enough to have murders. Cities are great for this. Peaceful hamlets not so much. [...] There is one teensy little catch to that last step about repeating as needed. Every time a necromancer uses his raise dead ability, he accrues a few points of insanity. [...] Thatís the thrust of this factionís mid-game. So you save up Hands of Glory as needed, constantly fighting the tension between summoning cool units and saving up to pass over to vampire-hood or lich-ness.
    http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/201...ancers-a-hand/
    The dwarf queen canít go anywhere, presumably because sheís so big and fat. Going by the graphics, sheís twice as tall and four times as heavy as a regular dwarf. Every turn, she lays an egg that hatches a dwarf worker. At least thatís how I imagine it happens.
    http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/201...-and-diamonds/
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    This one looks really intriguing, yeah. I've been following Tom's write-ups, and am hoping for some 3MA coverage as well.

Right now it's only availabe on Desura, though, which has me holding off. I hear they're talking to Gamersgate, and if that happens I'll definitely be picking it up.

I really ought to get Dominions 3 as well...

Obscure Node
    Just pre-ordered. I heard about the game being developed sometime last year, but there wasn't a lot of info at the time and I haven't been paying attention to it. Checked things out again today and now there's a ton of videos and articles and things to check out and the game is out in like two days. Yay.

I don't think I mind Desura or anything. I was expecting the usual deal of "this game is made by a couple of guys in Sweden and the only way to get a copy of it to Norway is to send it in like a box from like America". I like this better. (Actually, it looks like you can even buy Dominions 3 downloads these days. Neat.)

Obscure Node
    So there was some pre-release chatter about this game. Anyone dive in and try to grok some of its flavour?

I'm about a half-hour deep into an "easy" game as the Demonologists. Most of my previous runs have been abortive, failed attempts to, well, learn the game. I have to say, I enjoy finding random loot and having persistent stats for all my units. Also, the sheer madness of every faction is something to behold.

Should be noted that it was the Quarter to Three write-ups that really sold me on the game. Yeah, she's not a looker, but I haven't had this much fun with a fantasy turn-based strategy-type game since HoMM III.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I quite like it. It's relaxing and fun and doesn't require a lot of concentration or time investment. It's not for when I'm in a mood for some Serious Gaming but I find myself in such a mood less and less these days. Sometimes you die immediately and sometimes you win immediately, but that's not really a problem. The troll is fun, he just stomps over everything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been playing this since release. It's fantastic. One thing to note is that damage rolls are open, meaning rolling the highest amount triggers a re-roll. This means, for example, that a unit that deals 1-2 damage deals an average damage of 3.

Really enjoying this game.

Activated Node
    The progress page show a lot of free upgrades coming already in the next patch http://jaffa.illwinter.com/coe3/coe3progress.html including a lot of performance tweaks. Like I really need THIS game to play FASTER. Please no.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    The esteemed chaps at 3MA finally got around to this one:

http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2012/03/01/3753/

Banned
    Why does this guy sell all of his games at such ridiculous prices?

Activated Node
    Do you have a hobby? This guy (actually 2 guys) do this as a hobby. Their prices are reasonable (if not more) for the amount of gaming we get from it. Arguments to change it are usually based on the gamers personal interest, or some concept of making more money. Neither of which seem to apply all that much.
    Last edited by gp1628; 04-03-2012 at 03:29 PM.

i really want a demo first though

Activated Node
    Yeah its mostly selling to people who have played Illwinter games before. Conquest of Elysium 2 (which is free) and Dominions 3 (which is $55). Or people who watched the videos

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gp1628 View Post
    Do you have a hobby? This guy (actually 2 guys) do this as a hobby. Their prices are reasonable (if not more) for the amount of gaming we get from it. Arguments to change it are usually based on the gamers personal interest, or some concept of making more money. Neither of which seem to apply all that much.
    Look at it this way.

If this game was £5, I'd buy it regardless, doubly so if it was on Steam.

Due to the fact he's selling it at the price of two to three day's worth of food? Yeeeeah, no.

It doesn't matter if he's doing it for a hobby (surely he'd do it for free?), he's still selling it at a price which is:-
    1. Silly, more so due to the fact it's supposedly a hobby.
    2. Bad for business.
    3. Double silly.

Activated Node
    Firstly, Steamed turned it down.

The "buy it regardless" crowd does not seem all that desirable. :)

As far as the other, Ive had hobbies that people have said was good enough that I should do it full time. And suggestions of charging less (no Im not about to do it for free) because if I charged less I would get more business, or that I should hire people, or that I should make changes to please the masses. Personally, I totally understand Illwinters stance. Especially since they dont just "sell it and dump it". They actually support it. But hey, you do it they want you want.
    Last edited by gp1628; 04-03-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Banned
    Firstly, Steamed turned it down.
    Pfft, why?

The "buy it regardless" crowd does not seem all that desirable. :)
    Except, of course, if you're a business focused on making money, in which case this crowd will make up a massive revenue stream.

As far as the other, Ive had hobbies that people have said was good enough that I should do it full time. And suggestions of charging less (no Im not about to do it for free) because if I charged less I would get more business, or that I should hire people, or that I should make changes to please the masses. Personally, I totally understand Illwinters stance. Especially since they dont just "sell it and dump it". They actually support it. But hey, you do it they want you want.
    lol.

Of course, who cares about good business?

Activated Node
    Of course. Turning a hobby too much into a business can ruin a good hobby.
    They arent interested in loads of money. They both have jobs and family. This is a hobby.
    And by the way, cheaper for massive money doesnt always pan out. Especially for items that require support. I know, Ive been there. (I know its not logical)

Activated Node
    A DEMO version of Illwinters new game, Conquest of Elysium 3, is now available at Desura.com

http://www.desura.com/games/conquest-of-elysium-3

Purchase price for the full game is $30

Activated Node
    Now on sale for 35% of for the next week at Desura.com

Activated Node
    OK how about this? Its now available on Steam. Both steam and gamers gate are carrying it on sale for $9 if you act quick.

On and of the many patches, the latest one added another nation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Shazam. I'll be buying that when I get home.

I'm another guy who wanted to try Dominions 3, but the mixture of an obscene price point and no DD-service backing it turned me off. Different genre, but it still intrigues me.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.